Bridge on the River Kwai transfer problems

Discussion in 'DVD' started by jim.vaccaro, Nov 4, 2005.

1. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

I'm a bit disappointed with the transfer for this excellent film. The colors are good, blacks seem fine, but there are a few places where there is very noticeable mosquito noise, frame jitter, edge enhancement, and the image seems murky. Then there are other areas where the image is almost pristine. What happened?

This film deserves better! Boo!

2. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Other than the opening credits, I think it looks divine.

3. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

What happened could involve many things. I suspect the main factor is that it was an older transfer, made before HD Telecines were used, from a possible shrunken, and otherwise damaged element.

Nothing a re-transfer using the latest 4K scanners and digital cleanup and stabilization technology couldn't fix.

Ted

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This dvd was released five years ago this month and some improvements have been made in regard to producing better looking dvds. It will probably be revisited in the next couple of years.

Crawdaddy

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

It already has been in Japan. There is a R2 Japanese Superbit. I have it and it's quite nice. Although I don't have the original to compare to anymore.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I thought it looked great. I only noticed edge enhancement in a few shots. Some of the halos from dupes (in opticals) may be mistaken for EE (as was the case for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, House of Wax, and Dial M For Murder).

7. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

50th Anniversary in 2007. I guess I can wait for a reissue on Blu-Ray. [​IMG]

Like I said, in most shots it does look very, very good...the mild halos/EE in some shots I can forgive, but the frame jitter that pops up in about 3 or 4 scenes is very annoying, as is the mosquito noise in the shot of the bird flying in the opening and closing credits. I'm told the murkiness that occasionally pops up in the image may be from poor day for night shooting, I don't know if that's true though.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert

I doubt the quality of those shots will ever look good.

Crawdaddy

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    The opening bird shot was derived from 16mm spherical footage.

RAH

10. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Thanks Mr. Harris. That explains the overall low quality of the shot, but not the mosquito noise in the DVD, at least the way I understand mosquito noise.

11. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Are you sure you're seeing "misquoto noise" and not dupey film grain?

Vincent

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    [​IMG]

Looks like film grain to me.

RAH: Thanks for the confirmation that it is 16mm... although, I'm shocked that David Lean would use 16mm originated footage in a film. Is the helicopter shot afterwards also 16mm? It looks like it belongs in the Citizen Kane newsreel segment.

13. Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

From what I've heard, the circling bird shots at the beginning and end were taken from stock footage, which explains the 16mm.

This is one of my two favorite movies, by the way.

14. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Gee, maybe it is film grain....I'll have to watch it again tonight. The screenshot posted definitely looks like grain, but I didn't get that impression when watching it earlier.:b

15. Robert Crawford

Robert

I'd heard something similar to that a long time ago which is why I commented those shots will never look good.

Crawdaddy

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The Italian Superbit edition is on two discs: a DVD-9 and a DVD-5, which is a stupid authoring choice. Is the Japanese edition also authored this way? Surely not.

17. Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson Second Unit

Gordon: Why not buy the English Superbit edition?

18. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Hi, Peter.

You know, I totally forgot that a UK edition had just been released. Is the film authored on two DVD-9s with truly high bitrates? How does it compare with the old UK disc and the region 1 transfer?

I only own one Superbit: Lawrence of Arabia and I only double-dipped after I saw comparisons and listened to all my allies here. I obviously kept my old Lawrence 2-disc (the limited canvas-bound case edition), though! Can't give up those extras! Norman Spencer's repeating of the inebriated O'Toole's, "THE FUCKING PICTURE'S FINISHED!" always slays me. The same goes for Kwai. The documentary is one of the best DVD features ever. These were tough films to shoot and the facts, anecdotes and opinions on the two films are amazing. I hope that Warner's documentary on Ryan's Daughter is as good. This the problem with most of Sony's Superbits: they drop extras that are often amazing. The Superbits of Lawrence and Kwai ought to have been 3-disc sets.

19. Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson Second Unit

The film is split over two DVD-9 discs, about 8.5 Gigabyte on each disc. The bit-rate varies, but it´s usually around 7.0Mbps.

Well, I don´t know how it compares with the old R2UK edition and the R1 edition, since I haven´t seen them. But I would be surprised if the Superbit looked worse. The interesting thing would be to compare it to the Japanese Superbit edition.

There are no extras on the discs, but you can´t expect that on a Superbit edition.