Bride Of Frankenstein

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ocean Phoenix, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

According to DVDaficionado.com and amazon.com, a "Bride Of Frankenstein" DVD was once available by itself (including a documentary), but now this individual item is out of stock, and the DVD can only be purchased with boxsets of other "classic horror films". Does anybody know when and/or why this film is no longer available by itself? And does anybody have any ideas about if and when it might be released by itself again?

I just became a fan of it last year, and was disappointed to find out that now I apparently can't buy it alone. I considered the possibility that it could be released next year due to 2005 being its "70 year anniversary", but I've never heard of that happening before, so that's a long shot.

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I don't know anything about a possible re-release, but I do have the single disc version. I saw it and the original in Best Buy one day and automatically grabbed them both. And with the Frankenstein double features, I think I have all the Frankie movies.

3. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

It was part of Universal's Classic Monster Collection several years back and was discontinued along with the rest of the set. I highly recommend just picking up the new Legacy Collection. I mean, you can pick it up easily for $20 or less for the entire Frankenstein set.

4. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    I think it runs cheaper now in the Frankenstein legacy than it did in its original DVD release. Plus supposedly this DVD has a better framed transfer.

5. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

As stated before, the transfer is such an improvement, reviewers have written the 'box' is worth the purchase for the new transfer alone.

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Ocean, just to be clear, you don't have to buy the entire boxset with Dracula and Wolf Man. You can buy the Frankenstein Legacy 2-disc set for around $22. You might not want the other four movies (including the classic original Frankenstein), but $22 is reasonable (actually, far beyond reasonable) and you can ignore the other films if you want.

7. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

The new transfer is a vast improvement, and all of the extra features from the old DVD have been ported over. You get all this, plus four other movies, for something like 23 dollars. It's well worth picking up. And I have a feeling that if you liked BRIDE, you'll also enjoy the original FRANKENSTEIN and SON OF FRANKENSTEIN. Both are classics in their own right. And the later films are very entertaining IMHO.

8. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I still want the Bride Of Frankenstein DVD by itself, but if I could find it in a package of four DVDs that is cheaper than some single DVDs are, I might end up buying it in a boxset.

9. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Target carries all three Legacy sets (Frankenstein, Dracula and Wolfman) for $19.99 each. That's about $4 a movie...QUITE a deal if you ask me!

10. Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese Stunt Coordinator

Like everyone else has said, get the Frankenstein Legacy Collection. It's not in a box, it's in a nice case that's sort of like a hardcover thing (like a slightly larger version of the Schindler's List case) and the first three Frankenstein films are all great movies. It would be pretty ridiculous to get it separately when it can be had with so many other films, all the same extras and a better transfer for the same price or even a little less than the original disc sold for.

11. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Gotta repeat what everyone else is saying: The Frankenstein Legacy collection is definitely worth it for the first 2 films alone, especially with the corrected transfer on Bride. But you also get 3 other movies, two documentaries, two commentary tracks, and then some. I think there are some flaws in the House of Frankenstein transfer, but other than that, this is a pretty great set.

EDIT: Whoops; I guess I ought to look at dates more closely.[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. James Lambert

James Lambert Stunt Coordinator

I know that adding my email will be hammering the point home, as everyone has said it. The Frankenstein Legacy Boxset is an absolute steal compared to the original BOF disc. All the films are worth watching, but even if you just want Bride, it's still cheaper and has a better transfer.

If you're into Frankenstein though, I would recommend the other Legacy Boxsets, especially the WolfMan as it has "Frankenstein meets the Wolfman" as one of the extra films. This film unfortunately is not included in the Frankenstein set so for completists you have to buy both.

13. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

But why would you? That single disc release had an abomination of a transfer, thankfully corrected in the Legacy box set release.