Brians(rutledge audio) T-1 towers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Kolinski, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I'm in MAJOR upgrade mode[​IMG] .Been thinking of replacing my old AR TSW510's,but dont think I can afford any of the mass market stuff that would sound much better.I was cking out some of the GR Research AV+1's and ran across Brians line.Does anyone have a set of his T-1 towers?Do they sound as good as they look?Cause lookswise i'm already sold on them![​IMG] I'm thinking about using a set of his T-1's and a pair of his small 2 ways for rears,and a Rava sub,and I'll probobly keep my M&K THX 750 center for now.What do you guy think??I'm thinking this would be a (reletivly inexpensive)but really kick butt HT set up.
    Opinions..........

Thanks
    Greg

2. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

I can see wanting to use the center, but won't it sound different than the rest? I would think you'd want to match your center to at least the fronts so that the sound wont change when they move to different speakers and all of your speakers are tonaly similar. Maybe the MK center will blend well, but maybe not.

3. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Greg,

You should probably contact Brian directly. He is a great guy, does AMAZING work, and will answer all your questions. It is my understanding, that this line of speakers is a modified SCH kit. I almost bought some, but went with the GR A/V-1s instead. Brian (and Hank) said that the T-1s sound really great, and a really good values.

Hope this helps. BTW, if you haven't bought the sub, have Brian build you a custom one. That way, you can get matching veneers on the towers and sub, and if you are married, this will significantly increase the WAF. Hope this helps.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

George is correct. They are modified SCH kits. I modified all the enclosures to allow for greater extension and made the towers taller to get the tweeter height up a bit. Maybe Hank will come along and give his impressions since he's lived with an older version for several years now.

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Yes, I built the SCH original version and later on this year will offer a larger cabinet version, like Brian does, for a bit better low end extension. If you need a cabinet, either unfinished or finished, I commend Brian's work to you - he does good stuff.
    Sound: the SCH kits (including Brian's versions of course) are THE BEST sound value I've experienced in audio. There it is. Excellent sound for the money, and with nice veneer finishes, they'll look as good as they sound.

6. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Hank,

How have you been, have not seen you around much. How is your daughter?

7. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Sounds good,Just one newbie like question,will I loose anything with these being 2-way towers vs the standard 3-way tower?Or does this not matter with the proper cross over, ETC??i'm just starting to do more with speakers than just listen ,finally, but still basically know nothing.
    thanks
    Greg

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Greg,

A three way speaker adds another level of complexity in crossover design. I don't think you'll be missing out on anything with the T-1's.