What's new

Brian Setzer - Live In Japan...any comments? (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I had only heard about this yesterday, becuase I don't really visit the Image site very much anymore since they changed the way to search for new announcements. With DD and DTS audio this should be a fabulous disc. I've been listening to Setzer's group since 'Guitar Slinger' and saw a brief concert appearance on TV with Brian Adams several years ago and they sang SRV's The House Is Rockin' - I was hooked.

Anyone pick this up yet? I probably won't see this for a couple of weeks or so...

Thanks.

AndyDL

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Keith,
I picked this up late last week, and I must say, this DVD will blow the roof off of your house.
I've been fortunate enough to have attended several BSO concerts within the past few years, and this DVD certainly captures a lot of the energy that was in those shows.
Visually, the disc is about what you'd expect for your typical concert DVD.
Sound-wise, the disc is FABULOUS. The DTS track is very crisp, and Setzer's guitar solos come screaming through the center channel with great clarity. The DTS track also tends to be a bit more heavy on the bass. (as usual)
Highly recommended disc! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Andy

Hal Olson

Auditioning
I concur with Andy! The disc is excellent IMHO. I also had to throttle the bass back a little on the DTS track. Performance of the band was also outstanding. Go for it!

Hal

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Has this been a widespread release? I have been to every one of the B&M stores in town and cannot find it. I am going to Victoria tomorrow and hopefully I will have some luck there.

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Thank Goodness! I just ordered this from Amazon and it's on it's way. Can't wait!
Also Los Super Seven and Grateful Dawg are in this shipment. Anyone have any comments on those two DVDs?

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Well, it took 3 months, but I finally got the DVD through my local retailer (special order). The DD5.1 and stereo are great, but the DTS is just plain bad!!. No bass frequencies whatsoever, dammit. I was so looking forward to the DTS track, but, just like Image's work on Paul McCartney Live At The Cavern, they just can't do DTS.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
This DVD is terrible
unless you play it very LOUD!!:D
dan
(please notice sarcasm in above post...BSO is awesome)

Mark Lensenmaye

Auditioning
This is a terrific disk that truly captures the power of the BSO. This is by far the LOUDEST disk I have...seems to be recorded almost 10db louder than normal. I was getting over 100db at my reference setting and that is FAR higher than any other disk I own. (I just sat and grinned...this is the sound I've hoped for from a DVD of the BSO.)

Sound is clear and clean. DTS track is slightly louder than Dolby, but the bass on the DTS is overwhelming. I had to cut back the subwoofer substantially, so Keith, you might want to check your setup, as this disk has bass to burn.

My favorite track is Patrick Williams' almost symphonic version of ROCK THIS TOWN...that is one great arrangement.

Pure rock-and-roll guitar really DOES work with a big band. I've you've never heard this band, I'd highly recommend you give this a try. I guarantee you've never heard anything like it.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
My external decoder will automatically sense the DD vs DTS signal (Technics AC500D), and I don't use a subwoofer. (I live in an apartment, and don't want to annoy neighbors)

Toggling between the DD and DTS on the fly, the bottom totally disappears on the DTS track. If I enable the subwoofer on the decoder (even though there is none), there is slightly more bass to the DTS track, but much less to the DD track.

This is not a fault of my decoder, because I've A/B tested DTS laserdisc vs DVD of The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, and while there is slightly less bottom to the DVD, it is not that distracting.

Users who are viewing this thread