Brian May talks next QUEEN DVD-Audio "The Game", surround sound. Interesting read!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

as always thanks for the update Michael
    [​IMG]

3. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

That was absolutely stunning reading. Thanks Michael. [​IMG]
    I'm not sure which album I'd like Brian to work on next. Maybe Innuendo or News of the World.

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

OMG, I did not know that May was working on my favorite Queen album. Holy shit is that going to be great.
    It's also a great read for someone who is a big multi-channel audio fan. I don't find such mixes inherently "wrong", especially on studio albums that never were intended necessarily to be "live performances coming from a stage", but instead were just art.
    Otherwise how do we explain the very unnatural moving of instruments across the stereo field which was often done (Crazy Train by Ozzy comes to mind, along with many Pink Floyd songs).
    So here we have THE ARTIST, not some producer trying to justify his work, saying explicitly that this format is something he thinks IMPROVES his ability to express the art.
    Maybe multi-channel is not the affront to god that many purists would have us believe. [​IMG]
    Anyway, if I didn't already love the hell out of the album, that article would have pushed me over the top. Good read.
    Now if only I could get ELO's "A New World Record" on DVD-A or even SACD.

5. Michael Allred

Michael
    Speaking of SACD, Queen doesn't appear to be jumping into that any time soon. I've exchanged a few e-mails with Justin Shirley-Smith (longtime producer/mixer/sound guy extraordinare of Queen's) and even though it's been discussed, the band (especially Mr. May) seem to back DVD-A & DTS.

6. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Notice also that Queen is using the industry standard of ProTools to mix/edit/transfer the original master tapes. ProTools is a PCM environment.

Makes one wonder - if ProTools is used extensively in the industry, many SACDs are basically using PCM material. This kinda defeats the purpose of SACD's innovative use of digital audio, doesn't it? I thought the goal of DSD (SACD) technology was to leapfrog the veritable PCM method of capturing audio. Interesting...

The exception probably being the Sony catalog which is being archived using their DSD technology - but still, before DSD (and even today), we have ProTools and other PCM software/hardware toys used on many, many recordings from all labels dating back 20-25 years (including all the "full digital recordings" - remember that boasting disclaimer?). I believe the first full digital recording was done in 1978.

Just a thought as I read Brian's incredibly informative comments...

Felix

7. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

MY vote goes for "Sheer Heart Attack" or "Queen II"
    I have fond memories of Brian's solo tour date in NYC in '92. He played The Beacon in NYC, we went, loved it and wound up hanging out w/him at the backstage party at the old "China Club" downstairs when it turned out that I knew 1 of his backup singers, Catherine Porter, (also a BRILLAINT musician with an album out in England...) and she got us into the party.
    He was incredibly polite and a real genuine "nice" guy.
    Ahhhh, memories...
    [​IMG] D

8. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks Michael! I can't wait for this disc to surface.

However:

ADMINS: DO YOU THINK THIS THREAD CAN POSSIBLY BE MOVED TO THE MUSIC SECTION? I think this thread will probably garner a lot more responses there.

-Reg

9. Michael Allred

Michael
    Almost 300 views so far, I think DVD-A is appropriate for software, especially when you consider the whole of May's comments.

10. Michael Allred

Michael
    Uh oh! In preparing for 5.1 mixes, poor Brian has found THEY DON'T HAVE SOME OF THE TAPES!

11. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

[​IMG] What a shame. Good luck Brian! 'All Dead' is my very favorite "unknown" queen song.
    I'd be very intrested to learn if and where these turn up.
    C

12. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Terrible shame about the missing tapes - though I do think it's more likely that someone has them somewhere, than they're gone forever.
    My big question: is there a release schedule for Queen DVD-Audios after The Game? Or any rumours as to the likeliest candidates? I'd love to see A Kind of Magic remixed in 5.1 glory, but I suspect it won't anytime soon, and I'll just have to be content with what's on my Highlander DVD...
    A Night At the Opera was so good I decided to upgrade my interconnects. [​IMG]

13. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Will they be remixing the Flash Gordon original soundtrack?
    I would love to hear that in 5.1!