What's new

Brian De Palma’s ‘Dressed To Kill’ (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I was able to obtain the DVD release of this upcoming film a few days early before its actual street date (August 28). Brian De Palma has been accused of borrowing heavily from the master of suspense, Alfred Hitchcock. While that may be so, he also has his own signature marks that separate his films from others making some of them recognizable, highly memorable and entertaining. Dressed To Kill is one of them.
The film is about a sexually unsatisfied housewife Kate Miller played by the beautiful Angie Dickenson who talks about her problems to a Manhattan therapist, Dr. Robert Elliott (Michael Caine). An unexpected sexual affair one afternoon turns out deadly. Keith Gordon (Kate’s son), Nancy Allen (a call girl) and Dennis Franz (police detective) round out the rest of the cast as they try and solve a murder mystery.
The disc contains both the unrated and rated versions of the film through seamless branching. The unrated version, is without a doubt, very violent and contains nudity. I saw this film almost twenty years ago but I can’t remember whether that was the unrated version or not. Seeing it again now, the violence remains shocking as I have first seen it. I guess I have not yet been desensitized (which is good) after the slew horror films and other copycats that followed this one, which for the most part, I have managed to avoid. Others may say that this film is exploitive and way over the top. This is definitely not one for the very squeamish.
Yet, when compared with other films in the same genre, Dressed To Kill is a well-crafted, taut, suspenseful and stylized thriller. De Palma is always able to tell a story without a dialogue and by just using his camera. The long tracking shots, superimposed flashbacks, split screens and music all create the mood very fitting for this type of film.
Those who have not seen this film but liked De Palma’s two other thrillers, Carrie and Blow Out should also enjoy this one. (I thought the latter is also one of his better films and incidentally these two other films are also scheduled for DVD release all on the same day as this one). The soundtrack has also been remixed and remains haunting as ever.
~Edwin
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I saw this film almost twenty years ago but I can’t remember whether that was the unrated version or not.
Edwin, if you saw it in a theater, you saw the rated version. De Palma and the MPAA fought over this one for a long time.
The unrated version became available a year or two after theatrical release, but only on videotape in a horrible P&S version that could be a demonstration piece for the evils of P&S (imagine that final scene between Nancy Allen and Keith Gordon, but with the lady listening at the next table cropped out of the film altogether). There was also an LD that was cropped down from 2.35:1 to 1.85:1, but I can't remember which version of the film it contained.
It wasn't until the 1993 LD that this film first became available in De Palma's original cut and with the full widescreen image.
I guess you could say I'm a big fan of the film. :) I remember seeing it at the Beekman Theater when it opened in NYC. As we left the theater, Keith Gordon was standing in the lobby, apparently checking out the crowd's reaction to the film.
M.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I probably ended up watching the Rated R version on tape initially. I know I didn't catch it in the theaters.
quote: The unrated version became available a year or two after theatrical release, but only on videotape in a horrible P&S version that could be a demonstration piece for the evils of P&S (imagine that final scene between Nancy Allen and Keith Gordon, but with the lady listening at the next table cropped out of the film altogether). [/quote]
Interestingly, the DVD contains a demonstration of how different several scenes were on the three versions. One will get an idea of how bad the network TV P&S version is from the demonstration itself (hopefully).
So Michael, did you get a chance to talk to Gordon?
~Edwin
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on August 19, 2001 at 05:35 PM]

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info, Edwin. I was 100% on Blow Out since I love that picture to death. I've never really seen DtK straight through, just pieces, and was on the fence about a purchase. You pushed me over. Guess I really need to get all 3 since they represent DePalma in his prime (IMHO).
I love his style, even with Snake Eyes or Mission to Mars you can see some genius cinema there, yet it all goes awry mostly thanks to bad scripts (as far as I can tell).
I'm actually happy that Warner did me a favor and screwed up Wonka as I will be needing the cash come next week for all the other good stuff coming. :)

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Bravo to MGM for placing the Unrated and Rated versions on the disc! Some company needs to step up to the plate and show everyone not to be afraid of unrated versions. I will definitely pick up Dressed to Kill. It's one of my favorite DePalma films. Paramount, are you listening???
Seth,
I agree. Snake Eyes and Mission to Mars were highly inferior to his past works, but man were they ever stylish! I love them both.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
By the way, the comparison between the unrated vs. rated R versions of the film is done in true De Palma fashion - in split screens! That put a smile on my face upon seeing that. :)
~Edwin

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I was 100% on Blow Out since I love that picture to death.
Like I said earlier, I think Blow Out is one of De Palma's best films. It appears though that the DVD will be a bare bones release. I'll wait for some reviews to come out before actually purchasing that one.
~Edwin

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Chalk me up as another huge fan of Blow Out.
biggrin.gif
I'm disappointed that it's a bare bones release, but I'd rather have that than nothing at all. Hopefully MGM will give this film some TLC in the future, since it's superior IMO to Dressed to Kill.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
What I remember most about "DRESSED" is how fricken hot it was! Gave me a whole new appreciation for Angie Dickinson (Yes...I know it was a body double.. but still!) Its amazing how much Hollywood's tastes towards sex especially have changed. This movie probably could not have gotten made today... R version or otherwise. Everybody is too prudish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks