Brian Cox - He's everywhere!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Pelham, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Good Lord, it seems like every single recent movie I watch has Brian Cox in it. Is it just me, or is he getting a lot more roles in high profile movies all of the sudden? Don't get me wrong, he's a great actor, but what's with the sudden "Tommy Lee Jones Syndrome"?

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

I don't know but the man was absolutely brilliant in L.I.E IMHO.

3. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Yeah and he used to be a Dolphin too. [​IMG]

4. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

That's so funny. I was thinking the same thing recently. I was watching something or other (I think, The Bourne Identity) and he came on screen and I thought "Damn, there he is again!".

Still, at least it's not Pauly Shore...

5. Rain

Rain Producer

6. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

He's the "flavor of the month" among middle-aged British character actors at the moment, and he's taking full advantage of it. This happens with British actors on these shores--David Thewlis, Tim Roth and Robert Carlyle cycled in and out of town, picking up paychecks, and now we're seeing more of an older generation: Cox, Tom Wilkinson, and Jim Broadbent.

Part of the reason, I think, is that they work cheaper than their US counterparts. Then their prices rise, and--poof--they're back on the telly or onstage in their native land. The reverse rarely happens, unless there's a US actor--like, say, Joe Don Baker--that there's no "type" of in England. He was working there quite a bit in the 80s, including a Bond film or two.

The danger, of course, is overexposure. I interviewed the US character actor Philip Baker Hall in the midst of his career takeoff a couple of years ago and he said he was cooling it, on the advice of his agent. You can't blame them for going for the gold: mid-range actors don't make a lot, comparatively speaking, so they strike when the iron is hot.

7. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

And yet he's still showing up in bit parts here and there, most lately in The Sum of All Fears. He needs another Sydney, and soon.
    Jason