What's new

Breaking News: XM to raise rates but include extras for subscribers (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jeff,

It hasn't improved. It will never improve.

This is what Sirius wants for their listeners.

Those that can tolerate the endless repetition
will stay -- others will seek XM radio.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

The NFL network goes on for 365 days, and believe it or not, there always seems to be stuff to talk about. :D

Jason

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Like draft, off season, free agency. Even our local sports talk here in KC is about 50% NFL right now, as we free agents loom over our city :)

In regards to music, I would like to say that while people bemoan SIRIUS catalog, I've always found it to be about exactly what I want, so to each tehir own. The talk stations on SIRIUS really have always kept me, as SIRIUS seems to have a better layout of talk with a broader list of hosts for me to listen to.

For music, some of SIRIUS stations keep exclusive content that you can't find on XM or anywhere (like Shade45, etc.) which keeps exclusive tracks or remixes only played on those stations, as well as live DJs that I find interesting (while not a giant fan of the music, I'll tune in to listen to the DJ/caller chats, which I find hilarious at times)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I would like the NFL radio network since I absolutely love the NFL Network on directv, but in all honesty with Sporting News Radio, Fox Sports Radio, and ESPN Radio, mixed with locals, chances are you can always find NFL talk if you want on the radio.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
True, but I'll take Sporting News Radio, Fox Sports Radio, the Home Plate Channel, and the Tony Kornheiser show (none of which are available on Sirius) over the NFL Talk Channel. If you're a big sports talk fan, then XM is clearly superior in this regard. That's just my opinion. I listen to the NFL station from time to time, but at the moment I'm just not that interested. I'm much more absorbed in the Home Plate channel this time of year.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Each network has it's pros and cons. While I don't miss Fox Sports, Tony Kornheiser is a product I do miss. That having been said, I will happily enjoy the home calls of March Madness (NCAA Men's hoops) as a SIRIUS exclusive :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ever since the XM/MLB deal, I was expecting the other shoe to drop in regard to a price hike. Since, I'm a huge Yankees fan living in Michigan, I am extremely happy that I can listen to all Yankee games on XM which allows me not to renew my subscription to MLB.com this upcoming season.

Crawdaddy

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand why XM does not have a Lifetime Plan for $499 like Sirius. It seems kinda petty since their 5 year plan is exactly that much. Kinda leaves their door open for more price increases and sends a message of "nobody will get a free ride for being loyal".

I bought my new car last year (with Sirius factory satellite radio kit) with the Lifetime Plan. It seems that if you factor that your average auto loan is for 5 years, it seems logical that by the time you finish paying off your vehicle your subscription would have paid for itself.

It's a way to get people in with the Satellite Radio bug from the get go right off the lot if promoted heavily at the dealer which I think is the next market penetration strategy. Nobody wants to hear that after 5 years you will start getting bills.

I think XM is nickle and diming and missing out on this. I forsee them copying Sirius the same way they seem to have mimicked some of their strategies. Sirius keeps pushing it's Lifetime Plan as a "limited time offer". We all know that's B.S. but it works to get people commited on the value of their name brand/product.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

The problem with the Lifetime plan is that it is for the lifetime of the equipment. If something happens to it, you are basically out $500. Forget about upgrading (unless you want to pay for service for that one.) If something happens to your car, you are out.

The Lifetime plan is a marketing scheme by the underdog to attract consumers. It doesn't have much to do with "loyalty". XM doesn't need to do it, because they hold the dominint position right now. I suspect that eventually, Sirius will get rid of the Lifetime plan when it doesn't make sense for them financially.

Even tho I really like XM, there are a few reasons why I'd never buy a "lifetime" plan.

1) I have the Sony PnP in my car. It is already a couple of generations behind, and I probably will want to upgrade at some point.

2) There is no guarantee that I will always be subscribed to XM. Formats change, stations change all the time.

The nice thing about XM's plan is that it is refundable.

Jason

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Someone had a totally different experience then I've seen.. a friend of mine (semi driver) has SIRIUS and the lifetime plan, and they have changed equipment when they bought a new rig, and SIRIUS moved the plan to the new equipment and discontinued service to the old..

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I'm sure no one in the universe cares whether or not I renew my XM subscription, but since I was the first person to respond to Ron's post, I thought I'd add an update.

Although I'm not thrilled with the price increase, XM saved a subscriber with two events over the past 10 days or so.

The Vox classical channel ran a historical recording in its entirety from the early 20th century. It had limited fidelity and, I understand, the XM engineers were plotzing over the thing. But the performance was absolutely remarkable. ONLY XM radio would do this. And THAT'S WHY I LOVE XM!!

Last Saturday, XM radio ran all 12-hours of a Stephen Sondheim tribute and did it LIVE from NYC. ONLY XM radio would do this! It was incredible, a genuine piece of music history.

I can't say no to great programming like that. So, until they add another three golf channels and more redneck auto racing and cancel the channels I enjoy to save bandwidth, I'm staying with XM.

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
The Lifetime Plan is actually covered under factory warranty for the factory built units that are compatible (has a "SAT" button). It is also honored if you show a police report proving theft.

My point was mostly refering to pushing Satellite Radios with new vehicles as a future standard feature once XM and Sirius get *ahem* sirious about market penetration. A one time fee makes perfect sense.

In the case of PNP units I see where you are coming from and you are right, it would not apply as much. But let's face it, why would you want to switch a Lifetime Membership from a car kit to a PNP when you can add a PNP for $6.99 a month and have both? I don't think many would give up the clean install look of a car kit once you get used to it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Why do you say a one time fee makes sense? It may make sense for the consumer, but it doesn't make business sense for XM. Why do this when you don't have to? That's why when Sirius aquires more subscribers, I think their Lifetime plan will not be available to new subscribers eventually.

On the subject of cars, I test drove the new VW Jetta last month. Pretty nice car. The nice thing about the new factory radio is that it is compatible with both sat services. Pretty nice.

Jason

Greg L

Grip
As a consumer, I am always leary of "lifetime" memberships as they usually represent a HUGE risk for the busiess offering them [one time cash inflow vs ongoing outflow]. That said, it would work for SAT radio if they work it into OEM units and charge the fees with the sale of a vechicle.

For now, I'll accept the increase as IMHO I'm still geting value for the money even at the new pricepoint. I've given them this one but they'll have to EARN the next one.

MatS

Screenwriter
just a reminder tomorrow 4/2 is the last day to lock in at the lower rates

5 years for me

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I have to say that it is nice to be able to listen to XM online now. (I didn't pay to subscribe to that service before.) My only minor complaint is that their interface only allows for eight "presets". That's kinda goofy. Also, be sure you click on "Settings" in the lower left-hand corner and change the bandwidth setting to "high" so that you get 64 kbps instead of 32 kpbs, because apparently it's set to 32 kpbs by default.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I take it you can access XMOnline through
the main page?

Yeah, it's odd that an XM addict like me
hasn't checked it out yet, but realize I
have an XM optical connection in my office
so computer streaming is unecessary.

On the other hand, when I am on the road, I
would love to pump XM through my laptop.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Yes, Ron. Click on the "Listen Now" link at the top right-hand corner of the page. If it's your first time to listen online you'll have to set up a user id and password (yes, for some silly reason it's separate from your other user id/password you use to manage your account). From that point it's fairly self-explanatory.

I also don't use it at work because I have my Delphi boombox there (plus they frown upon people listening to streaming media anyway). However, it is mighty convenient to have it when I'm sitting at one of my computers at home where an XM Radio isn't handy.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
If you want, you can also access XM Online through Windows Media Player 10.

Open up the player and in the top right corner, click the down triangle to open the dropdown menu. Select View > Online Stores > XM Radio Online. That will take you to the login page and, subsequently, to the channel selection interface.

Very handy (even though I'm not a WMP 10 fan particularly.)

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about O & A but Howard Stern is garbage, always has been always will be.

As for the price increase I beleive it is just the start. Now that they have enough customers to make some money and everyone has spent $$$$ to have the equipment the price will continue to rise every year for the next 10. Happened with TV, Cable, Propane powered vehicles, natural gas and don't kid yourself now with XM and Sirius.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sat Radio is a great thing but how much are you willing to pay. They will (and you can quote me on this) raise prices until the market will bear no more. Until their subsciber base no longer grows or they see a downword decline in customers. Or somebody else undersells them with a similar service. Until then enjoy the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks