What's new

Breaking News: Space Shuttle Columbia explodes (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Several people on ABC have reported that the telemetry showed a higher temperature differential in the left wing...the same wing that was struck by the insulation on lift-off. They also said the Columbia wasn't equipped with a robotic arm for this flight and since they couldn't extend the camera outside the shuttle, there was probably no way to ascertain the total extent of the damage.

Also, Columbia was not designed for flights to the ISS...its weight was too heavy.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
My condolences to all the families who lost loved ones today. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Chris S.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I also wonder if this is more evidence of the fleet getting close to an age when we need to retire them in lieu of some new design.
Supposedly, the airframes are designed for 100 re-entries. This was Columbia's 28th.

I was waiting for the twin sonic booms this morning that hve frequently startled me out of bed. They didn't come.:frowning:

My heart goes out to their families, as well as those on the ground at NASA. I thank them for their service.

I'm wondering why, if there was a question about the left wing, they just didn't spacewalk around and check it out. No gear for that, perhaps? I'm betting it becomes SOP in the future. "Face time" is often the best asset in troubleshooting any problem.

I think the existence of the ISS will require a rapid (as is safely possible, of course) response and corrective action.

Todd

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too would like to extend my condolences to the victims' families and friends. I was in Junior High when the Challenger disaster happened and our teacher stopped class and made us watch the news on the classroom TV. I was immediately brought back to that memory when I heard the terrible news on the morning TV (I'm in the West Coast).

May their spirit and bravery never be forgotten!

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Sad, sad news. :frowning: Not much else can be said. I just hope the families make it through this okay.

Lowell

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Apparently eyewitnesses in California saw debris trailing the shuttle upon reentry.

They suspect it may have been tiles peeling off from a critical area of the shuttle well before reaching Texas.

Jay Taylor

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Very sad day for science, space exploration, and the families and friends of those brave enough to risk their lives in the desire to better the quality of life for all humanity.

ABC News interviewed someone from Cal-Tech who said that, based on eye-witness observations by himself and others, parts of Columbia (possibly the heat shield tiles) may have been peeling off as early as the California coast. Shame there was nothing to be done about checking the damage caused on lift-off. Sounds like it may have been more severe than expected. :frowning:

Cam S

Screenwriter
Geez, this is a really sad thing to watch, my condolences to the families of the lost ones :frowning:

There are still 3 people on the Space station, but they do have a "emergency shuttle" to come home if we are unable to send another shuttle back out there anytime soon. Also, The space station is in constant decent, and the shuttles are important because when then get to the space station, they actually help push the station back into a higher orbit. That is another reason why they need to sort things out faster than the 3 years it took them with the Challenger.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'm in Texas now, but farther south. Has anyone in the area seen any of the debris? It appears to be falling all over the region, and is extremely dangerous.
I'm in Austin and haven't heard of any debris here although I've been seeing some low flying helicopters when I was out looking at my new house. The local area has broadcast an emergency warning broadcast through the weather system about the debris. They also have the gov of texas on tv now telling everyone to stay away from the debris and call the authorities.

On ABC about 30 minutes ago they had an astronomer in California saying that when he and his wife got up early to watch the reentry over california that they saw pieces coming off then. They had photographers there to photgraph the reentry and they are hoping they got some pictures in california. So if it started that early the debris could be even more wide spread.

All the flags here are at half staff.

Texas gov just said they have reports of debris from Dallas all the way to Alexandria, Louisiana.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Even if they had been able to assess the damage, there is nothing much that could have been done about it. It's not like they could just repair it in orbit.

These tragedies have to be expected, and we are fortunate that there haven't been more of them. Unfortunately, failures or accidents when it comes to space travel aren't usually minor.

None of that eases the pain the families are feeling, but the cause these people were working for is noble, and must be continued. Hopefully this tragedy will lead to better safety for the crews of the future once answers are found.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There are still 3 people on the Space station, but they do have a "emergency shuttle" to come home if we are unable to send another shuttle back out there anytime soon.
There is a Russian Soyuz (sp?) capsule for emergency use in returning to Earth, but it's safety is also somewhat questionable. However, something will have to be decided soon, as the ISS crew supplies will only last into March.

Natalie M

Stunt Coordinator
Reports were the wing didn't have damage, yes it was struck in lift-off, but no damage. That's what was said this morning. Who knows what really happened yet? Noone

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Even if they had been able to assess the damage, there is nothing much that could have been done about it. It's not like they could just repair it in orbit.
I was just wondering about that. When they were in space couldn't they have docked with the space station and done a spacewalk to evaluate the damage? Then decide whether or not to attempt reentry? If they didn't want to they could have just stayed in the station and live between the shuttle and space station until a rescue ship was launched. Then get the crew and either ditch the shuttle automatically or just leave it up there?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
However, something will have to be decided soon, as the ISS crew supplies will only last into March.
Supposedly a russian resupply ship is supposed to doc with the station soon as a normal mission. They replace the escape capsule every 6 months so its due to be replaced soon also. They say that they could keep it running for about a year if they needed to without the shuttle. But then again thats assuming the Russians have the money to help us out till the program gets back on its feet.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Reports were the wing didn't have damage, yes it was struck in lift-off, but no damage.
Those assessments were based solely on video of the launch and any sensor readings they might have had, but no actual close visual inspection. Given how all the data is leaning toward problems with the left side/wing of the orbiter on re-entry (abnormal tire pressure readings, loss of temperature sensor readings in the left wing, etc.) it stands to reason the damage was worse than they expected.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't the crew on a recent awards broadcast...possibly the People's Choice Awards?? Very sad day :frowning:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tom Ridge and the Department of Homeland Security has taken control of the collection of debris from NASA, so terrorism must still be a possibility (however remote.) NASA is saying, however, that it is next to impossible that it was caused from the ground.

What struck me the most is how many of the crew had families, and how young they were. A true tragedy indeed.:frowning:

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
This is a very sad day for the space program. :frowning: It just goes to show how dangerous space travel really is. My thoughts and prayers will be with families of those lost, may they rest in peace.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
January 27th 1967: Apollo 1 (3 die)
January 28th 1986: Challenger (7 die)
February 1st 2003: Columbia (7 presumed dead)

Kinda weird isn't it (That they all happened within a few days of each other)? They were just talking about the anniversaries of the other two tragedies the other day.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
There is a Russian Soyuz (sp?) capsule for emergency use in returning to Earth, but it's safety is also somewhat questionable.
Your statement of it's safety seems to be to the contrary of most of the reports that are currently out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks