What's new

Press Release BREAKING NEWS: Paramount Pictures Launches “Paramount Presents” Label (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For all the bad changes there are some pretty cool ones too. I enjoy both my disc collection and the digital thing. Just watched the old To Catch A Thief disc recently which is probably why there’s a new one coming now :D
I have to compare that 2012 Blu-ray to the HD Digital on iTunes as I swear the latter looks better than what I remembered about the Blu-ray.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don’t do Facebook so I can’t see the Star Trek page you are referring to, nor did I know about it.

You can also see it on Twitter (you don't even need a Twitter account); just look up @TmpBlu. The Twitter account isn't updated as much as the Facebook one, but it is still easy to follow.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Sam! The twitter page isn’t loading right now, I’ll try again later. The Facebook page works so I did look at that.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
If this program ever gets to releasing pictures like Catch-22, Will Penny, or Carnal Knowledge (which I believe has been long rumored to perhaps be coming from Criterion) then I would be incredibly excited. If it is going to be just films like the ones so far mentioned by Paramount then this is not going to end up being much of a thing for me. I mean the thing that makes me excited is they say that this line will include films never before released on Blu-ray...that's the big deal to me.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I can understand why Paramount's high-profile titles might get 4K restorations. But there are hundreds of somewhat less lauded but still very desirable films in their vaults that should see the light of day on Blu-ray. This studio stubbornly refused to even consider releasing its catalog to the HD format a long time ago, and has much more catching up to do than most. Universal, for example, played it like Paramount for years and we saw almost none of the stuff we wanted from them other than the most high-profile ones. Then, suddenly -- just a couple of years ago, and maybe because of new Home Entertainment division management -- they began getting their classic stuff out by themselves or through multiple licensing deals to the point where many of us collectors have seen our Universal wish lists shrink to very small numbers. Universal has released more classic Paramount productions than Paramount itself has!

Paramount could do this also. It could use "Paramount Presents" for its prestigious titles such as those now announced here and those being released in Australia, PLUS it could begin comprehensive licensing plans with the smaller labels, as it has (sort of, with a small smattering of titles) begun to do with Shout!, only with many other companies. How come Criterion hasn't released a Paramount title for many years? These don't have to be 4K restorations. Just performing a quality remaster would probably satisfy most of us who are waiting for so many of this studio's missing catalog, because otherwise, we'll not get them at all except by way of streaming, which is not the ideal way to watch or get supplemental material, and why many of us still buy physical media.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Since THE GOLDEN CHILD is on that list, the door could be open to finally include a version of the film with John Barry’s original unused score. There have been partial reconstructions of certain scenes from the film using Barry’s music all over Vimeo and YouTube.

BTW, at the beginning of the Dream Sequence, there is a subtle reference to Ridley Scott’s LEGEND, a film that almost met the same fate as GOLDEN CHILD in terms of its score, and itself has its 35th Anniversary this year, and has yet to see a proper 4K remaster, but that is a Universal film.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well,maybe if there's a really quantifiable picture improvement, I might double-dip on 'to catch a thief' ... if it gets released locally here in Australia at a viable price. Currency crashes make importation increasingly difficult....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Can a link be added to the first post to the list if there is a list of the first batch of movies.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This is good news. It seemed silly for Paramount to be sitting on their catalog with no movement.

My top wants: Roman Holiday and A Place in the Sun

Lasermanfan

Agent
Real Name
Tyson
PARAMOUNT PICTURES LAUNCHES NEW “PARAMOUNT PRESENTS” LABEL TO CELEBRATE FILMS FROM THE STUDIO’S EXPANSIVE LIBRARY

New Banner to Be Used for Specialty Blu-ray™ Releases of Remastered Films and Limited Runs of Classic Titles in Select Theaters

HOLLYWOOD, Calif.— March 10, 2020 – Paramount Pictures announced today that it will introduce a new “Paramount Presents” label to recognize and celebrate films from the studio’s vast and storied library. The “Paramount Presents” banner will be used for a new line of collectible Blu-ray Discs™ incorporating a curated selection of enduringly popular movies, as well as films that had a cultural impact upon their release. The label will also be used to bring classic films to select theaters for limited theatrical runs so audiences can experience them again on the big screen.

“Paramount’s library represents over a century of filmmaking and includes some of the greatest films in cinematic history,” said Bob Buchi, president, worldwide home media distribution, Paramount Pictures. “We look forward to opening the vault and sharing some of our most treasured films with fans under the new ‘Paramount Presents’ banner, both in theaters and in our new Blu-ray collection, which has been crafted to offer something special to casual fans, dedicated film enthusiasts, and collectors.” Designed for fans and film lovers, the new line of “Paramount Presents” Blu-ray Discs will include a diverse and eclectic array of films spanning all genres. The new collection will return each title to the spotlight with meticulously remastered releases that include brand new bonus content focused on the filmmakers. Presented in collectible packaging that includes a foldout image of the original movie poster and interior artwork featuring key movie moments, each Blu-ray in the Paramount Presents line features new interviews with filmmakers and/or celebrated film historian Leonard Maltin.

“Movies have the power to hold a mirror up to the world. Sometimes they make us think about big issues and sometimes they simply reflect the times in which they were made,” said Maltin. “The ‘Paramount Presents’ banner encompasses a wide array of films that are worth revisiting because they captured something unique that resonated with audiences. Whether you’re watching them for the first time or the hundredth, you will see why these films have stood the test of time.” The first three films in the “Paramount Presents” Blu-ray line will be the unforgettable phenomenon Fatal Attraction, which has been remastered under the supervision of director Adrian Lyne; 1958’s acclaimed Elvis Presley drama King Creole; and director Alfred Hitchcock’s intoxicating romantic thriller To Catch A Thief, which celebrates its 65th anniversary this year. All three titles will be available beginning April 21, 2020. Fatal Attraction will also have a limited theatrical release in 2020 (details to be announced at a later date). Additional titles scheduled to be released as part of the “Paramount Presents” Blu-ray line include newly remastered editions of Flashdance, Airplane!, and Ghost, as well as several titles arriving on Blu-ray for the first time ever, including Pretty In Pink and The Golden Child.

Lasermanfan

Agent
Real Name
Tyson
Will this mean Paramount will finally release "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" and "Little Darlings"? I won't hold my breath, as they are known not to pay for the music rights. Plus the high demand for "Friday the 13th Part 3" blu ray 3D, not the red and blue glasses version. Again I won't hold my breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks