What's new

Press Release BREAKING NEWS: Paramount Pictures Launches “Paramount Presents” Label (1 Viewer)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Although I'm not super optimistic about seeing Star Trek the motion picture director's cut restored -- the Paramount presents line of movies gives me some hope that Paramount is going to treat its older movies with some respect.
Although the motion picture is far from my favorite original cast Star Trek film it is nonetheless the one I most look forward to on 4K besides Wrath of Khan. The reason being it's just such an interesting movie both in its production and lts release and then in its post-release home video Journey. Kind of boggles the Mind that they released the special longer version as an official home video release considering its incomplete nature.
If they did release all 3 versions in 4k it would be Criminal if they didn't create a new documentary on the restoration as well as the various incarnations of the movie.
And although it is the only original cast movie with significant deleted scenes available on home video it would be fantastic if they included even more including of course the wiing walk which was cut from the movie entirely.
And lastly, speaking of criminal it would be a real shame if they didn't release deleted scenes for Star Treks 2, 3, 4 and 6 if they did Restorations for those movies as well.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My must-have box set from Paramount is Star Trek The Motion Picture. Ideally it would be the theatrical cut, Directors Edition and Special Longer Version. To make it a palatable sale for those who don’t like the first movie, I’d like it to be the original crew film series that includes the remaining 5 films. All remastered and in 4K and regular blu ray. The first Star Trek film is my Grail remastered film to have. Every Star Trek film and TV spin-off owes its existence to the first film.

And I thought I was the only one who would give STTMP the time of day. It has its problems, sure, and I liked at least four of the other films (2 TOS, 2 TNG) more, but at the end of the day, it felt more like Roddenberry Trek than any of the others.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Pretty in pink is listed for pre order.

Are these transfers scanned from 4k?

I’m curious if there will be 4k digital releases of these titles.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Pretty in pink is listed for pre order.

Are these transfers scanned from 4k?

I’m curious if there will be 4k digital releases of these titles.

From the Amazon page for this edition:

A newly remastered Blu-ray, from a 4K film transfer supervised by director Howard Deutch, Pretty in Pink looks prettier than ever. Teen sensations Molly Ringwald (Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club) and Andrew McCarthy (St. Elmo’s Fire) drew rave reviews for their starring performances in this hit love story produced and written by John Hughes (Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles ). Andie is a high school girl from the other side of town. Blane’s the wealthy heartthrob who asks her to the prom. But as fast as their romance builds, it’s threatened by the painful reality of peer pressure. From its bittersweet story to its hip New Wave soundtrack, the film features great supporting performances from Harry Dean Stanton, Jon Cryer, James Spader and Annie Potts.

https://www.amazon.com/Paramount-Pr...7113056&s=movies-tv&sr=1-6&tag=blurayforum-20

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fingers crossed! I'm holding off buying next week's release of To Catch a Thief on Blu-ray in hopes of a 4K digital release on iTunes.
It's funny that "Fatal Attraction" and "King Creole" have already been upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision on iTunes while "To Catch a Thief" hasn't yet. All three have their BD releases next week.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
went and checked out the link, lots of great titles, but i don't do Facebook or other social media so i guess i get no vote, and i am still trying to figure out what they are doing with that list, some of those titles have been licensed out and have stellar releases, Criterion, Olive Signature, Kino, Arrow, and some titles released in the partnership with Warner. so is this vote for 4k digital upgrades? or for possible candidates for future blu ray releases. i was under the impression that is what this whole new "Paramount Presents" line was supposed to be all about. Filmmaker perspective, and address some of the missing back cataloged titles that haven't had an HD release. well once we are past the John Hughes comedies of the 80's and such maybe we can get some of the classics that are mentioned elsewhere in this thread, no one wants to read another long list, trust me; about 80 titles that paramount could release that i would be all over.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
One thing is clear paramount is not being very clear or consistent with their video releases these days.

very confusing for customers.

More clarity is needed on how they are releasing films going forward. Give us all the options at once and be consistent.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Looks like they're doing Days of Thunder ahead of that, on May 19.

https://www.amazon.com/Paramount-Presents-Days-Thunder-Blu-ray/dp/B0863VQ7MT/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3GJ24585B7UV&dchild=1&keywords=days+of+thunder+blu+ray&qid=1587176114&s=movies-tv&sprefix=dayys+of+thunder,movies-tv,181&sr=1-2

So that's #5, with Pretty in Pink #6. And the "Paramount Presents" graphic on the Amazon pages also show Airplane and Ghost, though there are no specific pages yet on Amazon for them.

Well...eight titles so far, announced or not-yet-officially-announced, and only two I'm interested in picking up (the Hitchcock and the Elvis).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The announcement specifically mentioned the golden child as well. So that's 9.

I surely hope that they dig deeper into their catalog than any of these nine titles. Hell, they're giving Australia SORRY, WRONG NUMBER, I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE, WATERLOO and ORDINARY PEOPLE, and we're only getting WAR OF THE WORLDS here because Criterion licensed it from them.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Paramount has been slow as molasses to turn blu. Their classics haven't been restored as needed. And a lot of their box office blockbusters have been neglected. Doesn't make sense.

And, rather than (or at least, in addition to) rereleases (even if 4K) of existing Blu-rays, we surely could use first-time Blus of (among many others, depending on personal preference):

Atlantic City
Bad News Bears
Black Sunday (1976)
Breakdown
Bridges At Toko-Ri
Bringing Up the Dead
Catch-22
Children of a Lesser God
Civil Action, A
Conquest Of Space
Country Girl, The
Court Jester, The
Darling Lili
Dead Zone, The
Desperate Hours, The (1955)
Detective Story, The
Disorderly Orderly, The (and other Jerry Lewis titles)
Dragonslayer
Elephant Man, The
Fairy Tale -- A True Story
Fat Man and Little Boy
Fear Strikes Out
Five Pennies, The
Gallipoli
Gift, The (2000)
Goodbye Columbus
Greatest Show On Earth, The
Houseboat
Hud
Lady Sings the Blues
Last Train To Gun Hill
Lil Abner
Little Prince, The
Longest Yard, The
Miracle Of Morgan's Creek, The
Murphy's War
Naked Jungle
Nevada Smith
Nobody's Fool
North Dallas Forty
No Way To Treat A Lady
Parallax View, The
Place In the Sun, A
Play It Again Sam
Posse
President's Analyst
Pretty Baby
Racing With the Moon
Ragtime
Real Life
Red Tent, The
Roman Holiday
Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Searching For Bobby Fisher
Shootist, The
Targets
Testament
Tin Star
When Worlds Collide
White Dawn, The
Will Penny
Wonder Boys
You Can Count On Me

There are more, of course, but rather than the umpteenth release of only the top sellers, or at least in addition to them, may we please have some of these, sirs? Before anyone offers me the usual "But only their top sellers are likely to earn them a profit," argument, please know that I am aware that some of the titles I've listed above are not going to make Paramount the kind of profit its corporate kingpins and stockholders want to see, but if licensed out to smaller labels, who are okay with smaller profit margins, a lot of us can fill in the gaps in our collections, and everyone is happy.

Say safe.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
And, rather than (or at least, in addition to) rereleases (even if 4K) of existing Blu-rays, we surely could use first-time Blus of (among many others, depending on personal preference):

Atlantic City
Bad News Bears
Black Sunday (1976)
Breakdown
Bridges At Toko-Ri
Bringing Up the Dead
Catch-22
Children of a Lesser God
Civil Action, A
Conquest Of Space
Country Girl, The
Court Jester, The
Darling Lili
Dead Zone, The
Desperate Hours, The (1955)
Detective Story, The
Disorderly Orderly, The (and other Jerry Lewis titles)
Dragonslayer
Fairy Tale -- A True Story
Fat Man and Little Boy
Fear Strikes Out
Five Pennies, The
Gallipoli
Gift, The (2000)
Goodbye Columbus
Greatest Show On Earth, The
Houseboat
Hud
Lady Sings the Blues
Last Train To Gun Hill
Lil Abner
Little Prince, The
Longest Yard, The
Miracle Of Morgan's Creek, The
Murphy's War
Naked Jungle
Nevada Smith
Nobody's Fool
North Dallas Forty
No Way To Treat A Lady
Parallax View, The
Place In the Sun, A
Play It Again Sam
Posse
President's Analyst
Pretty Baby
Racing With the Moon
Real Life
Red Tent, The
Roman Holiday
Searching For Bobby Fisher
Shootist, The
Targets
Testament
Tin Star
When Worlds Collide
White Dawn, The
Will Penny
Wonder Boys
You Can Count On Me

There are more, of course, but rather than the umpteenth release of TOP GUN or GHOST, or at least in addition to them, may we please have some of these, sirs?

Many thanks, and stay safe.

Star Trek the motion picture directors cut 4k

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s really simple. If the currently announced titles meet or exceed sales expectations, they will consider releasing more. If they don’t, then they won’t.

For all the lists people make of titles that were on DVD but never came out on BD, there is often a simple if unsatisfying reason for that. The studios have their sales figures. A lot of DVDs did not sell anywhere near what was needed to break even or turn a profit. When Blu-ray was first introduced, Paramount put out a lot of their previous best sellers on BD, and those sold even less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks