What's new

Press Release BREAKING NEWS: Paramount Pictures Launches “Paramount Presents” Label (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I didn't get that they want you to "vote" on anything - just post your favorite Paramount films on social media platforms. No guarantee anything'll come of it either. At least that list they provide contains lots of films we physical media people would like to see get a BR release so maybe that's a bit of hope... but...

If they want people to "vote" on that list then it needs to be a true form with them collecting the results. That's not there.

I'm sure they can track which movies get the most mentions, so that's a form of information.

But yeah - not really a vote!

Reactions: PMF

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Paramount just released a list of their movies that they want people to vote on. This seems very much like a bit of testing the waters for what titles they might want to release on 4K discs or for the new Paramount presents line.

https://www.paramount.com/our-favorites
I guess they don't want to hear from people like me, who don't have any "social channels". In any case, here are the films I would love to see on Blu-ray. (I'm not too excited about the prospect of having 4K "upgrades" of films I already have on Blu-ray.)

A Place in the Sun
Detective Story
Roman Holiday
Sorry, Wrong Number
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Teacher's Pet
The Country Girl
The Court Jester
The Desperate Hours
The Greatest Show on Earth
War of the Worlds
We're No Angels
When Worlds Collide

---------------

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I didn't get that they want you to "vote" on anything - just post your favorite Paramount films on social media platforms. No guarantee anything'll come of it either. At least that list they provide contains lots of films we physical media people would like to see get a BR release so maybe that's a bit of hope... but...

If they want people to "vote" on that list then it needs to be a true form with them collecting the results. That's not there.
The titles that get more “votes” (tags) will be more likely to come out. So in a way it is a vote.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Interesting that there is no films made after the 80s in that list. This really must be their way of gauging which classics titles to release on Blu-ray & UHD.

There are definitely some classic titles I love that have been omitted from that list but I guess that was bound to happen & I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Paramount and MGM are hard to figure out.

007 should be out on UHd Blu ray by now. All of the films.

also all the Star Trek films should be out as well as other 4k digital only releases.

mare there other studios doing this on a consistent basis? Releasing 4k content digitally only.

Disney, Warner and others seem to more consistent with 4k releases?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Paramount and MGM are hard to figure out.

007 should be out on UHd Blu ray by now. All of the films.

also all the Star Trek films should be out as well as other 4k digital only releases.

mare there other studios doing this on a consistent basis? Releasing 4k content digitally only.

Disney, Warner and others seem to more consistent with 4k releases?

Osato,

This has been said many times...

The studios aren't going to commit to releasing catalog titles to 4k unless they are certain they will sell.

They have been testing the waters with digital-only 4k offerings and I think it has worked out very well for them.

I am certain a 4k Bond set was in the works. However, remember, a lot of planned releases are probably being shelved now due to the pandemic.

You are probably going to see even more things go to digital-only in the oncoming months.

4k disc releases aren't dead. Rumor has it, Sony may be releasing a 39-title 4k set of their most treasured catalog titles.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There already is a 17 disc Columbia / Sony 4K UHD set coming, but the titles havent been announced.
That will not be cheap ! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why do I have a feeling most of those titles in this upcoming 4K set have been released already on 4K disc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
100% of which are probably already on good looking Blu-rays or 4K.
---------------

...and your point is?

These are 4k. I would expect they are already on Blu-ray but people who want it in 4k are interested.

Let me further clarify...

At this point, we don't know. However, since Sony has been releasing digital-only titles in 4k, I would suspect many will make it to this rumored set and perhaps additional titles that would be appearing for the first time.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
71Kqe9tbXFL._SL1500_.jpg

The titles:

Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Gandhi
Jerry Maguire
Lawrence of Arabia
A League of Their Own
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, that's the set?!

One rumor had it at 39 titles

Another, I believe at 19.

This is six. Not sure I am even excited about it. The only one I want is Lawrence of Arabia if sold as a single.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting Ron that you mentioned the unlikelihood of any releases of large sets such as a 4K set for the James Bond series due to the pandemic. While that is a very good point, it made me wonder given the timing of the Skywalker Saga release, it will be interesting to see how that set sells. If that information is even available. It’s Star Wars so it’s probably going to do ok.

My must-have box set from Paramount is Star Trek The Motion Picture. Ideally it would be the theatrical cut, Directors Edition and Special Longer Version. To make it a palatable sale for those who don’t like the first movie, I’d like it to be the original crew film series that includes the remaining 5 films. All remastered and in 4K and regular blu ray. The first Star Trek film is my Grail remastered film to have. Every Star Trek film and TV spin-off owes its existence to the first film.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Interesting Ron that you mentioned the unlikelihood of any releases of large sets such as a 4K set for the James Bond series due to the pandemic. While that is a very good point, it made me wonder given the timing of the Skywalker Saga release, it will be interesting to see how that set sells. If that information is even available. It’s Star Wars so it’s probably going to do ok.

My must-have box set from Paramount is Star Trek The Motion Picture. Ideally it would be the theatrical cut, Directors Edition and Special Longer Version. To make it a palatable sale for those who don’t like the first movie, I’d like it to be the original crew film series that includes the remaining 5 films. All remastered and in 4K and regular blu ray. The first Star Trek film is my Grail remastered film to have. Every Star Trek film and TV spin-off owes its existence to the first film.

I’d love the older Star Trek films in 4K too.
I also want the directors cut of the motion picture in 4K.

hope for more Star Trek 4k news this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks