What's new

Press Release BREAKING NEWS: Paramount Pictures Launches “Paramount Presents” Label (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I would not count out 4k reissues of the Star Trek films.

Khan has already been offered in 4k, digitally. Director's cut, too.

The original film is being worked on, allegedly, for an HD release.

I think you'll see those films on 4k within the next few years (or sooner)
Wasn’t STTMP-DC being remastered for a 4K release?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I didn't want to go as far as saying 4k.

I heard HD. However, chances are very good there will be a 4k release as well.

most very secretive at this point. Last I heard is that there are talks to remaster the directors edition. No confirmed news.

I think this is another example of physical releases declining. Paramount is fearful that people won’t show up to buy the title. Despite the fact many say they want something then when it does show up they refuse or decide not to buy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve said it on other threads but every time a new catalog disc comes out and people who had been interested say, “I’ll wait for a sale” or “it doesn’t include every bonus features I want so I won’t buy it and that’ll force them to make an even more special edition,” that’s in actuality just sending a signal that they overestimated demand and that the product wasn’t viable.

I’ve been on the other side of that, working for a small label and getting lots of interest shown in certain titles, and then putting them out and seeing that the sales just weren’t there.

Ask people if they want a hypothetical thing that they’re nostalgic for and they’ll say yes. Ask them if they’re willing to pay $20 for it right now and it’s often a different story.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’ve said it on other threads but every time a new catalog disc comes out and people who had been interested say, “I’ll wait for a sale” or “it doesn’t include every bonus features I want so I won’t buy it and that’ll force them to make an even more special edition,” that’s in actuality just sending a signal that they overestimated demand and that the product wasn’t viable.

I’ve been on the other side of that, working for a small label and getting lots of interest shown in certain titles, and then putting them out and seeing that the sales just weren’t there.

Ask people if they want a hypothetical thing that they’re nostalgic for and they’ll say yes. Ask them if they’re willing to pay $20 for it right now and it’s often a different story.

correct. It’s even worse now when you can buy a 4k movie for $5.

the market has been devalued. Buying habits have changed.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I already see a problem for Star Trek the motion picture whether it's released in UHD 4K or Blu-ray or both.
There are almost certainly going to be people who will say "I'm not going to buy this unless my preferred version is restored in 4k resolution."
If they release the director's cut with a complete 4K restoration there will be people angry they didn't do the theatrical cut. If they release both the director's cut and the theatrical cut which I find doubtful anyway -- there will be people who say I'm not going to buy it because it didn't contain the special longer version.
And I'm guilty of this for this particular title because one for one thing they have already teased the director's cut specifically --I recently re-watched the theatrical version and it's pretty decent -- in the top two of transfets of the original six movies. So if they were to do a all-out new restoration of the theatrical I wouldn't be very excited because it already looks pretty good and it's not my favorite version of the movie.
So even a movie that is both iconic and cultish AND has a huge following of fans may still not get sales due to people not getting exactly what they want.
But I could care less about extras. I have the director's cut DVD I have the theatrical Blu-ray I don't need all the bonus materials in one package to make the purchase if they happen to release the director's cut in 4k. That's what I'm after bottom line -- the directors cut released with a modern restoration.
And if any version of the first movie gets released either as part of Paramount presents or in 4k and sales are poor you can take it to the bank that the rest will not be treated properly in the future.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Paramount is only going to release what they think they can sell.

Ha, the very opposite of a lot of Warner Archive releases :)

I'd think their John Wayne titles would sell, & horror & science fiction always sell (esp. if it's also a cult film like, say, War Of The Worlds). The problem with releasing stuff that's already been released is that, if you already have that release, you know how many times you've seen it, & do you really want to buy another version of it sitting on your shelf?

The exciting thing for collectors are the first time on Blu-ray titles, & I'd think it's mostly collectors who are buying this stuff, the general public being not at all interested, or even knowing about these releases.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ha, the very opposite of a lot of Warner Archive releases :)

I'd think their John Wayne titles would sell, & horror & science fiction always sell (esp. if it's also a cult film like, say, War Of The Worlds). The problem with releasing stuff that's already been released is that, if you already have that release, you know how many times you've seen it, & do you really want to buy another version of it sitting on your shelf?

The exciting thing for collectors are the first time on Blu-ray titles, & I'd think it's mostly collectors who are buying this stuff, the general public being not at all interested, or even knowing about these releases.
I disagree I think many of those WA releases we scratch are heads about are released because they have marketing data that tells them they can turn a profit on them. WA isn't any different than any other studio releasing BD titles, they need to remain profitable.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
IMHO that marketing data are movies with a *name* actor or a *name* director. I also think they do look into releasing previously unreleased titles. It is true some of WAC's titles arent ones that lots of fans are clamoring for, but eventually they will around to release a title for *the many*. I have so many DVDs from Warner that I cant believe there are months where none of what I own has gotten a Blu-ray announcement ! And I dont mean just 30s-50s.
In my collection are titles such as The Late Show, The First Deadly Sin, The Last Dinosaur, The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao, The Bermuda Depths,Eight Legged Freaks, which to me are no-brainers to give HD releases for.
Anyway their catalog is HUGE ! Just like Paramounts, of which Im hoping they will release Will Penny, War of the Worlds, Bad Company, The Shootist and some of their even older catalog titles.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I already see a problem for Star Trek the motion picture whether it's released in UHD 4K or Blu-ray or both.
There are almost certainly going to be people who will say "I'm not going to buy this unless my preferred version is restored in 4k resolution."
If they release the director's cut with a complete 4K restoration there will be people angry they didn't do the theatrical cut. If they release both the director's cut and the theatrical cut which I find doubtful anyway -- there will be people who say I'm not going to buy it because it didn't contain the special longer version.
And I'm guilty of this for this particular title because one for one thing they have already teased the director's cut specifically --I recently re-watched the theatrical version and it's pretty decent -- in the top two of transfets of the original six movies. So if they were to do a all-out new restoration of the theatrical I wouldn't be very excited because it already looks pretty good and it's not my favorite version of the movie.
So even a movie that is both iconic and cultish AND has a huge following of fans may still not get sales due to people not getting exactly what they want.
But I could care less about extras. I have the director's cut DVD I have the theatrical Blu-ray I don't need all the bonus materials in one package to make the purchase if they happen to release the director's cut in 4k. That's what I'm after bottom line -- the directors cut released with a modern restoration.
And if any version of the first movie gets released either as part of Paramount presents or in 4k and sales are poor you can take it to the bank that the rest will not be treated properly in the future.

I think based on the wrath of khan director’s cut Blu ray paramount will release both or all versions of tmp on 4k. Again if this project happens.

I wonder how sales were for the wrath of khan directors cut Blu ray?

paramount really should’ve released the 4k UHd Blu Ray of khan at that time. It was planned for later in the year and then it was pulled.

Khan 4k is on iTunes of course.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
The director's cut and the theatrical version can't be put on the same disk because they have too many different changes and a completely different soundtrack throughout. I just don't see them making two separate brand new versions on two 4K discs in one package.
I can't see Paramount releasing a Blade Runner Style set with multiple versions

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think based on the wrath of khan director’s cut Blu ray paramount will release both or all versions of tmp on 4k. Again if this project happens.

paramount really should’ve released the 4k UHd Blu Ray of khan at that time. It was planned for later in the year and then it was pulled.

Khan 4k is on iTunes of course.

I am a little confused by this. You didn't want them to release the 4k Director cut to iTunes?

From what I see, Paramount has been testing the waters for the past year or so, releasing catalog titles in 4k to digital-only.

Sony has been doing the same thing.

I totally understand them trying to figure out if they could make more money with downloads vs. disc sales.

I don't know what the results of those tests were, but apparently Paramount decided to release their catalog to disc and rumor has it that Sony is planning a massive 4k set of their holy grail catalog titles with something like 39 movies.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I am a little confused by this. You didn't want them to release the 4k Director cut to iTunes?

From what I see, Paramount has been testing the waters for the past year or so, releasing catalog titles in 4k to digital-only.

Sony has been doing the same thing.

I totally understand them trying to figure out if they could make more money with downloads vs. disc sales.

I don't know what the results of those tests were, but apparently Paramount decided to release their catalog to disc and rumor has it that Sony is planning a massive 4k set of their holy grail catalog titles with something like 39 movies.

Ron - I want tmp on 4k UHd Blu Ray. All versions edition.

I also want / will buy all of the classic trek films on UHd Blu ray too. I will buy all of them again.

iTunes is fine too. But I’d like to have the physical disc plus the digital version in one set.

I did just pick up an Apple 4K tv and I will buy khan 4k on iTunes shortly. As it is my favorite movie of all time I would still buy the UHd Blu ray if I’m given the option to buy one.

Agreed. At the moment it seems that paramount is going to 4k digital for most catalog titles.

when I went 4k in August I did try to buy several paramount and other studios 4k UHd Blu ray sets. Mission impossible series, Star Trek kelvin, Batman anthology, 2001, wizard of Oz, etc.

I’m also buying the new version of to catch a thief on blu ray and my preorder was in as soon as the link went live. Again it’s a favorite film of mine.

Im glad paramount is researching what is best for catalog releases. I do think they need to continue to offer choice for their consumers too. Give people the option of disc versus digital. Give the physical disc buyer a digital copy too.

even if they want to make their physical releases in 4K like the archive collection I’m fine with that too.

is there any paramount catalog titles coming to UHd Blu Ray?

Beverly Hills cop was reissued on blu ray disc and 4K was digital only. Paramount also released old war of the worlds on 4k digital only. I bought this on digital too.

Hopefully there is more 4k Star Trek news later in the year. I love the Motion picture directors cut and I watch it more than any other trek film in the series.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter

It's another case of "perfect being enemy of the good." Yes, I'd like to see extras, but they take back seat to the film being out in a good blu-ray presentation. (And for what it's worth, commentaries mean nothing to me. The few I've listened to have been not worth the time.)

I'm a first-day buyer on films I want, if for no other reason than a limited release may get sold out. Soooo, give me the film in a good scan. Anything beyond that is optional.

An only-digital release is the same thing as no release at all to me. Leaving aside the question of ISPs suddenly withdrawing films I "bought," my only internet is Verizon Wireless, which doesn't even handle NTSC standard def well. Forget HD. And UHD? As Santa says, "Ho, ho, ho!"

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Paramount just released a list of their movies that they want people to vote on. This seems very much like a bit of testing the waters for what titles they might want to release on 4K discs or for the new Paramount presents line.

https://www.paramount.com/our-favorites

Some great films on that list, good to see little mentioned films like, The President's Analyst & Uncomman Valor on there. I'm not really surprised there's no Li'l Abner (but I'd love it), but very surprised at the absence of Paint Your Wagon.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

My guess is “not great” either for that or for the Kelvin movies on UHD disc. With the 4K master fit Khan long complete, I think they would have put it on a physical disc by now if they thought there was something there.

There was also an error on the Khan disc that forced them into doing a recall and replacement program. The cost of doing that could very well have turned a small profit into a loss.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Reactions: PMF

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Paramount just released a list of their movies that they want people to vote on. This seems very much like a bit of testing the waters for what titles they might want to release on 4K discs or for the new Paramount presents line.

https://www.paramount.com/our-favorites
I didn't get that they want you to "vote" on anything - just post your favorite Paramount films on social media platforms. No guarantee anything'll come of it either. At least that list they provide contains lots of films we physical media people would like to see get a BR release so maybe that's a bit of hope... but...

If they want people to "vote" on that list then it needs to be a true form with them collecting the results. That's not there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks