What's new

Breaking News: Paramount and Warner Bros. Announce Home Media Distribution Deal (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Scott D S /t/324225/breaking-news-paramount-and-warner-bros-announce-home-media-distribution-deal#post_3984261
Hmm... if it means countless repackagings, forget it.
If it means we might get titles like Serpico, Marathon Man, The Elephant Man, The Nutty Professor, Congo (shut up!), Top Secret!, the Naked Gun sequels, and a re-release of Zodiac, then count me in!
(There are also those early Blu-Rays Paramount licensed to Lionsgate like Hard Rain and The Relic that are now OOP.)
One question... can we assume any and all existing extras will be ported over as well?
And I assume this doesn't effect any pre-existing deals with Olive and Criterion.

Pre-existing deals should not be effected.

My guess is that a Zodiac re-release is probable, even if its just a re-issue of the previous disc.

I'm sure Paramount will continue to release more new-to-Blu titles, just like they did in 2012.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /t/324225/breaking-news-paramount-and-warner-bros-announce-home-media-distribution-deal#post_3984241

It'll be a repackaging, if I'm a betting man. 99% confident in that. It's a distribution deal, not a new ownership/re-authoring deal.

So a giant corporation is going to distribute another, less successful corporations assets in a way to strengthen it's own intellectual properties (archives, Ultraviolet) with no additional work envolved in the transfer. So really no different then the Olive deal that overblown terrorist guy was talking about? Repacks or transfer provided by Paramount so previous errors will continue.

I continue to fail to see why anyone is excited by this announcement. To each their own.

The Big Parade (1925)
The Jazz Singer (1927)
Little Caesar (1931)
The Public Enemy (1931)
Grand Hotel (1932)
The Petrified Forest (1936)
Mrs. Miniver (1942)
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
Easter Parade (1948)
White Heat (1949)
House of Wax 3D (1953)
East of Eden (1955)
Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
Giant (1956)
Cabaret (1972)
Westworld (1973)
A Star Is Born (1976)
The Right Stuff (1983)
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985)
Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
Sommersby (1993)
Best in Show (2000)
The Nativity Story (2006)

I didn't double check, but I think only the titles hi-lighted in red are new to DVD/Bluray titles, everything else is upgrades right? (NOT SAYING UPGRADES ARE A BAD THING) Great for people who don't own them/fans of that particular title, but not exactly a wild hair up most people asses who think their DVD versions are "good enough".

I'll be more impressed when they debut more titles fresh on DVD and Bluray. Like they do ALL THE TIME (DVDs, not blurays in case people want to be pedantic) in the archives to a limited audience. (Limited to Americans who are looking for specific titles. A large potential audience for sure, but still limited.) I'll wait for that list before getting my hopes up.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Russell G said:
(1993)
Best in Show (2000)
The Nativity Story (2006)

I didn't double check, but I think only the titles hi-lighted in red are new to DVD/Bluray titles, everything else is upgrades right? (NOT SAYING UPGRADES ARE A BAD THING) Great for people who don't own them/fans of that particular title, but not exactly a wild hair up most people asses who think their DVD versions are "good enough".

I'll be more impressed when they debut more titles fresh on DVD and Bluray. Like they do ALL THE TIME (DVDs, not blurays in case people want to be pedantic) in the archives to a limited audience. (Limited to Americans who are looking for specific titles. A large potential audience for sure, but still limited.) I'll wait for that list before getting my hopes up.
The Big Parade is the only never-on-DVD release of the list.

Warner is gonna release very, very, VERY few Blu-rays that have never seen DVD before, primarily because they've released a LOT of DVDs, and have several dozen proven "evergreen" home video titles to upgrade to Blu-ray still.

The Archives are simply where 99% of the new-to-DVD releases are gonna be released. The new-to-pressed-DVD ship basically sailed 3-4 years ago, with very few exceptions.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
In June I was upset at Paramount's refusal to release Friday the 13th 4-8 on Blu Ray.
So I hit them with my one and only Jew Curse.
The Next day GI Joe Retaliation was canceled proving my curse effective.
Obviously Paramount did this to rid themselves of my Jew curse, it won't work as it will forever torment them as perpetual punishment.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by FanboyZ /t/324225/breaking-news-paramount-and-warner-bros-announce-home-media-distribution-deal#post_3984307
In June I was upset at Paramount's refusal to release Friday the 13th 4-8 on Blu Ray.
So I hit them with my one and only Jew Curse.
The Next day GI Joe Retaliation was canceled proving my curse effective.
Obviously Paramount did this to rid themselves of my Jew curse, it won't work as it will forever torment them as perpetual punishment.
You sir, are a HERO!

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
Don't thank me yet.
I used up my only Jew curse, and we still don't know if Friday the 13th 4-8 get Blu Rays...

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
If WB could snag MY FAIR LADY from CBS / Paramount than that would make the deal worthwhile. However I agree with most what does this deal do when they are mainly going to just reissue titles already released. Please don't waste the time give us titles that have NOT been released.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Here's my wishlist from this deal for either blu-rays or 16:9 dvd/MOD DVD
Breakdown
Golden Child
Snake Eyes
Ghost and the Darkness
Jade Director's Cut SE
Hondo 3D BD
I think this is a great opportunity. I truly hope many not yet on dvd come out.
I understand that a lot will be repackaged. My hope is, that with Warner really into the 3d Bluray, maybe this could would get the Hondo 3D out there.
Everyone, buy Dial M for Murder 3D to show that classic movies will succeed on the 3D BD front.
Could we even see a 3DBD of Friday the 13th Part 3 3D?
I hope so :D
If only Warner could have control of Fox classic films. Then we'd know that ALL films would be OAR. Sadly, only in my dreams.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Actually, I'd say it's pretty good news on the MOD side of things. Anyone who has followed the Olive Films thread should be aware that they there are some titles that they simply won't invest in because they are either too unlikely to break even on profit-wise or the Paramount elements need work. So while there might be a few titles that are "robbed" of their chance of a wishful blu-ray release, many of them just don't have a shot period, so an MOD would really be one of the few viable alternatives these days.
If they are working with the Warner Archive Collection, I expect that the releases will have the same sort of quality control--no non-anamorphic, pan & scanned, or open-matte transfers like what is normally found on Netflix or on recent Fox Cinema Archive efforts. Which, again, is a good thing. I'm also hopeful that the two companies can pool in resources to do something with some of the films that have rough elements, since Olive's experiences indicate that there are some titles they initially planned on releasing have just been too poor to work with.
As for blu-rays, I'm not sure why this partnership was all that necessary. Maybe they plan to do a joint effort on the Elvis films? I'm guessing the WAC partnership was the primary goal here and the deal was sweetened with some blu-ray sublicensing. Though there might be more to it.
MLamarre said:
How will this deal affect Olive Films?
Probably not that much. They've got a ton of Republic titles in the works and had made no announcement that they intended to get more Paramount titles after last years announcements had dried up. It think they only have a few more titles left to be announced and will just focus on Republic from thereon out.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/324225/breaking-news-paramount-and-warner-bros-announce-home-media-distribution-deal#post_3984367
I'm guessing the WAC partnership was the primary goal here and the deal was sweetened with some blu-ray sublicensing.

What sublicensing? This isn't a licensing deal, just a distribution deal. Paramount is still calling the shots on how to do the releases. Warner is merely taking over distribution responsibilities, which would more than anything allow them means of packaging titles from both studios in advantageous collections, or the means of selling Paramount titles through Warner Archive as you suggested. But this isn't Paramount licensing titles to Warner, as far as I can tell.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As long as they put iTunes codes along with the flixster crap I'm fine with it... I don't buy any releases that include UV alone unless it's $10 or less.

Maybe now we will get Trilogy of Terror 2, Prophecy, Targets and a more complete Philo Vance set...

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Anyone hoping for the Friday the 13th films to be a part of this deal can stop dreaming now. Warner's/New Line's own horror franchise, the Freddy Kreuger movies, are only just now being completed on Blu-ray and are only available exclusively at Best Buy, which means they're not available at all. Frankly, I don't believe Paramount will allow anyone to sub-license these films even though they are big moneymakers for the studio. Or perhaps because of it. Either way, don't hold your breath.
I do see, however, Warner handling previously neglected Paramount titles like ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ (Warner already control most of Eastwood's other films) and perhaps some of Paramount's early non-anamorphic titles like BREAKDOWN. Any of those reissues will make this deal worthwhile.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by cineMANIAC /t/324225/breaking-news-paramount-and-warner-bros-announce-home-media-distribution-deal/30#post_3984547
Anyone hoping for the Friday the 13th films to be a part of this deal can stop dreaming now. Warner's/New Line's own horror franchise, the Freddy Kreuger movies, are only just now being completed on Blu-ray and are only available exclusively at Best Buy, which means they're not available at all. Frankly, I don't believe Paramount will allow anyone to sub-license these films even though they are big moneymakers for the studio. Or perhaps because of it. Either way, don't hold your breath.

Even if BB has the unreleased Freddy movies exclusively-and I haven't seen any info to that effect-won't their exclusivity window end at some point. Or is BB the only retailer that will ever be allowed to sell them? I have a hard time thinking it's the latter considered the persistent consumer backlash against the store for not keeping items in stock.

Warner/Paramount cutting a huge chunk of Amazon sales out? Doesn't make sense to me for the long run. Short term? Yeah, probably.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
Jason_V said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cineMANIAC /t/324225/breaking-news-paramount-and-warner-bros-announce-home-media-distribution-deal/30#post_3984547

Even if BB has the unreleased Freddy movies exclusively-and I haven't seen any info to that effect-won't their exclusivity window end at some point. Or is BB the only retailer that will ever be allowed to sell them? I have a hard time thinking it's the latter considered the persistent consumer backlash against the store for not keeping items in stock.

Warner/Paramount cutting a huge chunk of Amazon sales out? Doesn't make sense to me for the long run. Short term?&nbsp
; Yeah, probably.
The Freddy movie box set was available worldwide since October of 2011. North America was the only area that didn't get the set. The domestic version is BB exclusive for the next few months.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by FanboyZ /t/324225/breaking-news-paramount-and-warner-bros-announce-home-media-distribution-deal/30#post_3984596
The Freddy movie box set was available worldwide since October of 2011. North America was the only area that didn't get the set. The domestic version is BB exclusive for the next few months.

I didn't even know there was such a thing. But then, the "next few months" is what I was saying up above. It will be available elsewhere from the sound of it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Actually, I think the guy who wrote the terrorist comment was on your side...

So in reference to your ridiculous "worst news ever/terrorist comments" please, continue to stroke your boners on vapor ware and talk. I'm not getting my hopes up until I see a release slate of classic titles hitting blu.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
Jason_V said:
I didn't even know there was such a thing.  But then, the "next few months" is what I was saying up above.  It will be available elsewhere from the sound of it.
like Amazon.co.uk for the last year...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't, as a rule, order from outside the US. Just one of my little quirks.

My only point was that there's no way any disc is a specific retail exclusive "for all time." It will be available everywhere, as evidence by the "next few months" comment above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks