BREAKING NEWS - digital tv tuners required by FCC in 2004!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisMatson, Aug 8, 2002.

1. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Actually, it is 2004 for sets larger than 36", which is most HD sets.

4. Chet Hayes

Chet Hayes Agent

The reaction from the Consumer Electronics Association to the FCC announcement was that the FCC has it's priorities wrong. CEA said it would be better to focus on setting a standard for settop box connection to digital TV's instead.

And I think they are exactly right. What the FCC is doing, only puts added cost burden on all TV's, while probably 85% of them are going to be hooked to a set top box and don't need the tuner.

And then, at the same time, the FCC said that they are going to start holding hearings next week on copy protection issues.

Go figure. Seems to me, they should have settled not only the interface, but the copy protection issue long ago.

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The actual ruling is sets 36" and larger is July 2004 for digital tuners and 13inch to 36 inch by july 2007

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Chet,

Yeah, I have the same reaction.

On the other hand, it seems that the FCC is slapping some wrists with this ruling and telling manufacturers, "If you can't get your s--t together and make this damn system work, we'll start telling you what to do." Or, in other words, "Don't make me come down there!"

Let's remember that billions of dollars in frequency licensing fees will come to the government once digital TV becomes the standard, and they've already figured that income into budget projections. They aren't going to risk that income on a bunch of squabbling manufacturers and studios that can't agree on standards.

So, in a way, it doesn't make any difference to the FCC if the ruling makes sense or not. They're throwing some weight around. In fact, if the ruling is rather nonsensical it just adds to the menace of government decree.

Jan

7. Bob S

Bob S Extra

8. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The CEA argued the same thing in the 60's about adding too much cost to the price of sets and it was not needed when the FCC said all tv's where to have UHF tuners by a certain date...

9. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Oops... Sorry Chris I put the same link as you did in a new thread.

10. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

This raises an interesting question about digital displays that are technically sold as monitors rather than as TV's. For example, most plasma displays are sold simply as monitors, and you can purchase a set top box to act as a tuner. Will all displays now be required to have internal digital tuners even if they are marketed for application as computer monitors? Or in the alternative, will displays marketed as monitors be a giant loophole to this whole thing? I say it has to be the latter.

I think the bottom line is that only displays which would have been packaged with analog tuners anyway will be affected by this. Many people who want satellite or cable can just buy a monitor and hook it to the satellite or cable box. Which means the criticisms are not entirely valid, as least not for the enthusiast crowd.