Breaking in new amplifiers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FrankC, Nov 10, 2001.

1. FrankC

FrankC Agent

Well, I finally took my first step towards separates by getting 3 nOhr Le Amp monoblocks from a fellow HTF member. I'm using my Marantz SR-8000 receiver as the pre/pro, and the amps are powering a pair of PSB Stratus Silver(i)'s and a PSB C6i center.
    What do you guys recommend as the proper way to break these in? Do I just leave them on for a few days on end? Should I try and feed them a low-level signal continuously? Should I just use them as I would normally and turn them off when I'm done?
    And while we're at it -- why do you break solid-state electronics in? :)
    --f

2. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

They don't break in except for possibly the slight exception of the capacitors. You should be good to go. You might have a case for burning in if you want to test for weak or faulty parts and wiring.
    Russ
    [Edited last by Russell _T on November 10, 2001 at 10:26 AM]

3. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Being that you got the three amps from another person. I'm assuming he was already using them. If he had them for any amount of time. Any breaking-in is probably done. Use takes care of any breaking-in for the most part. I leave my amps on 24/7 unless a storm shows up in the area. But, that's up to you and your needs. If they are new, then just use them as any other piece of equipment. I started to hear a change in my five channel amp in about four days from first hook up. But, my two channel amp pretty much sounds the same as the first day to my ears. Enjoy!
    ------------------
    Enjoy the Toys!

4. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Frank,
    I own LeAmps, and there is a breakin period. I have 400+ hours on mine, and they are still improving. YOu can leave them playing during the day using a TV signal or an FM radio signal, and that will help. Normal use should take care of the rest.
    There is also a mod available to bypass the DC blocking capacitor (posted on nOrh's website). Many have reported that the soundstage improves with this mod. I have not modified mine and am quite happy with their performance. They totally outclass the amp section of my Onkyo 787.
    Enjoy!
    John

5. FrankC

FrankC Agent

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
    The person I got them from had only used them for a few hours, so the breaking in process is up to me. The consensus sounds like: just use 'em, which I'm happy to do.
    John, 2 out of 3 of the amps have the DC blocking capacitor tweak. I've got those 2 driving my L/R, and the one without the tweak driving the center. I'll do an experiment where I'll use one tweaked and one untweaked amp to drive my L/R to see if I can tell a difference.
    So far--meaning the amps probably have 20 hours of use on them --the soundstage is much wider, taller, and 3-dimensional than the amps in the Marantz SR-8000.
    To be fair, I need to point out I'm pretty picky about sound though certainly no audiophile. My wife hasn't been bowled over backwards by the upgrade yet. Part of that is the subtle nature of the upgrade; part of it is the Marantz SR-8000 sounds great out of the box; part of it, I'm hoping, is the break-in period.
    --f