breaking in equipment??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobHaymond, Jun 23, 2002.

1. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

I have used these post over several months to put together HT. Things are mostly going well but there are a couple of glitches that I'd seek opinions on. I have a Sony 36XBR450 recessed into a wall; CSW MC-300 7.1; Onkyo DS-989; Toshiba SD-3755. Everything has been beautifully installed (not a war in sight) drapes were completed yesterday wide-wale corduroy paisley with blackout lining. So I'm set except for some brains-=-none came with the UPS!
    I have used the AVIA w/sound meter and that went well. I haven't done the color part but I will-=- the color doesn't seem to be a problem.
    Opinions please:
    1) the 989 has a gazillion "listening modes"; they don't quite say how to select. Can the equipment be set to interpret what it finds on a DVD? How does one make these choices? Also, is it common to set the playing mode different fo CD's as opposed to DVD's?
    2) another glitch occurred tonight. I have some new DVD's which played just fine. Tonight we rented a DVD and it got stuck many times during the flick. It was the first one dear ole wife watched and this did not help the WAF. Was this likely a bad DVD? Do they do that a lot?
    This week is the first DVD we've seen, ever. So it's taking some getting used to![​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    ALWAYS check rented DVDs for fingerprints and scratches before returning home. This is almost always the case when a disc has a problem. If there are no greasy prints or scratches, it may be a compatibility issue with that particular movie and your player. The older Toshibas are noted as having issues with particular discs.
    I'm not familiar with the 989 (nice receiver BTW) but it should have an "auto detect" mode that will know what type of signal it is receiving and switch to the most compatible mode. That may not be your preferred mode for listening to a given source, but for DVDs, it should have no problem figuring out what format is coming in.
    CDs are only 2ch stereo, and that is what I listen to them in. Basically all DVDs will have some version of Dolby Surround or Dolby Digital track, as well as the possibility of a DTS track with accomodation for up to 6.1 channels of sound. The available sound format varies from DVD to DVD, and is selected in the DVD audio setup menu on most discs (some have only one audio track and no selections).
    Congrats and good luck. [​IMG]

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Congrats on the new system.
    Start by turning all the various listening modes OFF (Jazz, Concert Hall, etc) . These are called "DSP Modes" and they are ... tricks.
    Later, once you are used to the system, then you can play with them.
    You do want Dolby Digital and perhaps DTS. Leave these on. These are not DSP modes, but encoding formats.
    Most music lovers turn all the DSP modes off for 2 channel music. They dont even use all 5 speakers, just the L/R. While I dont listen to a lot of music, I do leave the other speakers on.
    Go out and rent Shakespeare In Love. Great sound and video. It will really help with the WAF.

4. John Garcia

John

5. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

Thanx for replies. John: in this part of the country a "war" is the copper and silver things you run to the speakers. I can't say it well but I believe other folks call them Wy-ers.

I'm having a ball in any case.

BH
    Clemson, SC

6. John Garcia

John