Breaking in a new system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CurtJ, Apr 12, 2002.

1. CurtJ

CurtJ Stunt Coordinator

I have just purchased my first HT system and was wondering how to break it in. HK320 with JBL speakers. Do I need to break it in before I crank it up?

2. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

You should contact the manufacturers. Only they know for sure.

3. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"Do I need to break it in before I crank it up?"
    [​IMG] Dude, that's funny!!!
    Have you calibrated your speaker's levels yet? How's the sound? If all is well, you should ease your way up to reference levels if that's your desire. Be aware of any distortion and/or clipping that can occur at high volumes, otherwise you should be fine. JBL and H/K have been making electronics for quite a while...I'm sure they anticipate some folks "Cranking them up!"
    Jeremy

4. CurtJ

CurtJ Stunt Coordinator

I actually havent even received my system yet, Im just anxious as a little kid on christmas to get it. I need to read a bit more on calibrating. I have looked and cant seem to find a newbie guide on this. Does anyone know of a good "how to" article?

Thanks guys!

5. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

I just left my receiver on with the Tuner, and the volume at 9 o clock.

The next day it was at 11 o clock, and the next day at 1 o clock for three-four hours.

Give the system a break every sixty minutes. The amp does get hot, and it's not good to let it get hot for too long right at the beginning.

Good luck with your system!!

6. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"Does anyone know of a good "how to" article?"
    Curt, I understand your anticipation excitement...been there many times[​IMG]
    On calibration...just run a search on speaker calibration, SPL meters, AVIA or Video Essentials. That should give you what you are looking for.
    At Radio Shack, they sell an SPL meter (analog) about $35. It's your best friend and a great tool for HT and surround music listening. The old days, we had a balance knob when there were only 2 speakers....now we have 5, 6, 7, 8 or more speakers so you need to calibrate the levels with test tones found on the AVIA or VE discs. Get your SPL meter out, put it on "C" weight and slow read. Calibrate your levels to 75db initially all speakers. If you like you bass a bit heavy...you may want to lift your sub to 78-80db. This will give you the "balance" you need to hear the movie the way the director wants it heard. You will find the "channel levels" in your receiver set-up menu.
    Good Luck,
    Jeremy

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'd suggest you just use it like you plan on using it.

This is a personal preference thing. Either you believe in "breaking in" equipment or you don't. Personally, I do not.