What's new

Breaking in a new SVS (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi! I just got my new behemoth SVS 20-39PCi. Sounds good so far, but I was wondering if it will sound better after some use. Did yours sound better after you broke them in some? If so, how long was it until you noticed some difference? I'm happy to be a rookie member in the SVS fan club! Later!

Rob

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
As to breakin - it is hard to say how that occurs, but after several weeks I have had to make some adjustments to volume level out by effect. The best way to descibe it is that every effect seemed to have to be lowered by 1 db to get what I liked and was verified by SPL readings. No biggie. What has happened though is that the sub has now begun blending seamlessly in all modes, so the break in of my 20-39PCi seems to have been about 300 hours, although It may well have happened before this without me noticing...

My set up - Denon 3802, Klipsch Heresy main and sides, AR2C center, infinity rears - disable the sub crossover management, Denon set to 80hz, speakers to small and VE calibration to 75 db on all except sub to 77-80 db. I have had to do some individual effect level setup, the sub has to be a little hotter (say 2-3 db) for 2,5,7 channel stereo to get the right fill.

Performance - solid on both HT and music. I continue to be amazed at how rarely I notice the sub, lack of any boom and how well they blend. Every once and a while I take the sub out, set speakers to large and see what I would be missing. The sub does just what I want - it is not in the way of the sound, nor does it dominate the sound (except when it is suppose to do so - parts of U-571, Toy Story 2, etc.), but without it you feel like you are being cheated. At these prices this remains an excellent deal.

Enjoy...

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
HENRY
how do you disable the sub crossover? I have a 3802 comming.do you know anything about removing the am fm board for better sound quialty
thanks
gene

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Gene,

the SVs have a crossover bypass switch on the amp.

Robert, the gain controls(on both the sub and the receiver) should be set using a SPL meter. Your receiver will have built in speaker calibation test tones that you should be able to use(with the SPL meter) to set the volume level of all your speakers including the sub. Don't forget to experiment with various subwoofer locations too, the woof's performance is directly tied to its location in a room.

TV

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
Tom, of course got the crossover answer right and I cannot help on the am/fm board question.

Actually I have thought through the question and I am not sure what you are suggesting - could you give a few more details?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks