1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking in a new amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Cooke, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

Hi all. I just ordered my new B&K 7270 today. [​IMG] My question is what is the best way to go about breaking the amp in. Should i leave it on with music playing even when not listening. Does it matter what listening material i use? Also, I need to buy new interconnects. I'm currently using my old Onkyo Tx-SV828 as a pre/pro but am considering getting a Rotel-1066 if i can scrape together the cash. What do you suggest i get as far as interconnects. Thanks a lot for any suggestions.
    Aaron

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

For the first 500 minutes, keep the volume below 55 db, and not at the same setting for more than a few minutes. Better to vary the volume up and down than to leave it stuck in one place. Also, be gentle about turning the amp on or off... no sudden starts or stops. And, above all, do not let the amp idle at any time for more than a few seconds. Make sure it's being driven.

Sorry... couldn't resist. Better get a serious answer from somebody else, ideally someone who believes in the importance of breaking in amps.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

LOL!