What's new

Breaking Bad - Season 5 (AMC) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
As scummy and evil as Jack was, he didn't want his fucked-up sense of honor to be challenged...
Yeah, Jack had a twisted but real code of criminal conduct/honor. When Walt hired him to kill Jesse and he specified to make it quick, Jack agreed and said how there were "too many savages out there". He gave a barrel with more than $10 million (!) in it to Walt and chastised his men for being greedy. He let Walt live and took him at his word that there wouldn't be any further problems. Even killing Hank was just the way that it has to be for Jack (something that Hank realized).

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
TravisR said:
I'm not big on imagining what happened after the show ended but while Jesse paid a deep price for his crimes, he can now completely start over (his house must have been RICOed and he has no other money),
Not sure about that possibility. Jesse's confession tape made it to the Nazis. Hank and Gomie are dead. All Skyler can say is that she knows Walt was cooking with Jesse, but it's hearsay. All they have him on is throwing money out the window. They possibly could have him on not having the income to buy the house from his parents, but Saul may have laundered that money. Jesse may avoid jail and still have the house. But I know you're not big on imagining what happened after. :)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I am a big fan of imagining what happened after... So someone please imagine a scenario where Jesse does ok with his future! Chiming in late here, but I really enjoyed the finale. We had a couple of viewing parties with friends for the last 2 episodes, complete with blue margaritas and bags of take out chicken from Los Pollos Hermanos! There were also cupcakes with blue rock candy on top! For beer, I served Arrogant Bastard! We cheered when it turned out to be Skinny Pete and Badger with the laser pointers! Anyway, I thought the finale was great and I'm wondering how long it'll be before another show comes along that I love just as much. I started watching it from the beginning last January and spaced them out so I only had like a 3 week wait until this last batch of episodes started. What a run! Somehow the shine has now worn off Walking Bad and Game of Thrones!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Charlie Campisi said:
They possibly could have him on not having the income to buy the house from his parents...
Exactly. He hasn't had a legit job for two years and bought a house for something like $400,000. That means (though it doesn't prove) that he's a fairly big drug dealer and it's definitely enough to get him locked up as a tax cheat. Just to clarify, I don't think Jesse ends up in jail after driving away but I don't think he can go back to his old life either.

Ric Easton said:
So someone please imagine a scenario where Jesse does ok with his future!
I think a chance to start over completely is pretty good all things considered. Plus, I like to think that he's done with crime and abusing drugs so his future might not be easy but he'll eventually find happiness.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Pretty damn good last episode.

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but does anyone know if there will be a series boxset without the barrel, apron, etc? I just want all of the episodes in one package without all the extra stuff.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'm sure there probably will be a more stripped-down version of the set without the physical extras down the road, though likely not for a while -- the new 4K transfers alone are going to draw a lot of buyers (or, in my case, repeat-buyers), along with the exclusive on-disc extras.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
I'm sure there probably will be a more stripped-down version of the set without the physical extras down the road, though likely not for a while -- the new 4K transfers alone are going to draw a lot of buyers (or, in my case, repeat-buyers), along with the exclusive on-disc extras.
Are you sure about the new transfers? Lie to me and say "no" so I don't rebuy the same damn things.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Aaron Paul said that the writers told him of a potential epilogue after the credits where you see Jesse's feet step off of a bus, and it pulls away to reveal a sign that says, "Welcome to Alaska". Paul isn't sure how far that idea got, but it obviously never made it to the script. But in his mind, that's the way Jesse's story ended.

Sony is creating or has created 4K masters for BrBa and other shows, but I can't find anything that confirms this complete set is made from those 4K masters.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
^^^^^
WOW.

Takes a real man to admit he fucked up the ending of LOST.
I agree with him 100%

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Doesn't sound to me like he messed up Lost. Sounds like the same ol' Lindeloff.

But, he is right...it's WAY in the past now, and he has a barrel full of money to cry over. I don't care anymore...so, why should he?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Were does he say he messed up lost?"10:00 AM PDT 10/2/2013 by Damon Lindelof310 583 9 1 0 Email Print Comments (70)Damon Lindelof Headshot - P 2013Getty ImagesDamon LindelofThe transcendent ending of Vince Gilligan's drama inspires another showrunner to stop defending his own finale, writing: "I'm done. I'm out."This story first appeared in the Oct. 11 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine. OUR EDITOR RECOMMENDS'Breaking Bad' Producer on Walt's Finale Sacrifice: He Didn't Redeem Himself (Q&A)Meet Walter Blanco: 'Breaking Bad' Gets Spanish-Language Version'Breaking Bad's' Vince Gilligan on Charlie Rose's Cameo: 'The Best Person We Could've Picked' (Video)The 'Breaking Bad' Legacy: Now That It's Over, Where Does It Stand?A couple of weeks ago, I was asked if I was interested in writing a morning-after response to the Breaking Bad finale. I immediately said yes. I did this for two reasons. One of them I was aware of, the other I was not.The one I was aware of is pretty rudimentary: I am a huge fan of Breaking Bad and have been a zealot of its Church of Awesomeness for years. It's spectacular TV -- spectacular storytelling -- and I am lucky to have borne witness to it. The opportunity to sing the show's praises one last time was not one I could possibly pass up.And here's what I was not aware of but am now.PHOTOS: 'Breaking Bad' Finale at Hollywood Forever CemeteryAll story is reflective, designed to illuminate its own characters and the themes surrounding them. When a show is as brilliant as Breaking Bad, it's not just about the people we're watching, it's about those watching them. About us. In other words, the better the show, the deeper it forces you to look at yourself. On Sunday night, I took a good long look at myself, and this is what I found staring back …I agreed to write this piece because I am deeply and unhealthily obsessed with finding ways to revisit the Lost finale and the maddening hurricane of shit that has followed it.And this morning? I am Walter White. Arrogant. Conceited. Selfish. Entitled. Looking for ways to blame everything and everyone but myself, even though it is perfectly clear the situation I find myself in is of my own making. And here's the worst part: I'm still naive enough to believe I can attain some level of redemption.Earlier drafts of this piece were a love letter to Breaking Bad. The show was a masterpiece. I listed the reasons why. We all know what they are. The finale? Fantastic. Not a false beat. The scene between Walt and Skyler was as profound as it was satisfying -- and watching Walt run his hand through his sleeping daughter's hair, fully aware that he couldn't do the same to the woman he (once? still?) loved as she stood silently behind him quite literally broke my heart.Jesse lived. Walt died. All happened as it should have. And that would have been the piece you would have read had I finished it. But …In the comments section of the piece I did not write, the following sentiment would have been echoed dozens of times over: "What the f--- do you know because you f---ed up Lost?!?" How do I know this? Well, for starters, my Twitter feed was pretty much a unanimous run of, "Did you see that, Lindelof? That's how you end a show."Three years later, it appears that it is not just enough to love Breaking Bad's finale. You also have to hate ours. Yeah, I know. Waaaaaah for me. I should go cry into my barrels full of money. But I swear to you, I'm not looking for empathy. I'm just looking for a way to stop. And I can't.STORY: 'Breaking Bad' Series Finale: What the Critics Are SayingAlcoholics are smart enough to not walk into a bar. My bar is Twitter. It's Comic-Con. It's anytime someone asks me to write an article even casually relating to Lost.And what do I do? I jump at the opportunity to acknowledge how many people were dissatisfied with how it ended. I try to be self-deprecating and witty when I do this, but that's an elaborate (or obvious?) defense mechanism to let people know I'm fully aware of the elephant in the room and I'm perfectly fine with it sitting down on my face and shitting all over me.And this is how pathetic I've become -- I'm using an opportunity to put Breaking Bad into the pantheon of best shows ever (where it undeniably belongs) to narcissistically whine about the perceived shortcomings of my own work.God, I hate myself. But isn't that what's expected of me? Don't I have to do that? Is it possible for me to ever comment on anything I love without cheekily winking at the audience and saying, "But what do I know -- after all, I ruined Lost?"It does bear mentioning that not everyone feels this way. There are fans who actually love the way Lost ended. And I can feel the abuse they've taken for having what has become a wildly unpopular opinion, which only makes me love them more. Unfortunately, these kind souls are vastly overwhelmed by, well, less kind souls. So now what?I'm sick of myself for continuing to beat this particular drum, so I can't imagine how sick of it you are. If it's unpleasant and exhausting for me to keep defending the Lost finale, aren't you getting tired of hating it? And so … I, like Walter White, want out. To be free. And to grant you the same.I'd like to make a pact, you and me. And here's your part: You acknowledge that I know how you feel about the ending of Lost. I got it. I heard you. I will think about your dissatisfaction always and forever. It will stay with me until I lie there on my back dying, camera pulling slowly upward whether it be a solitary dog or an entire SWAT team that comes to my side as I breathe my last breath.STORY: AMC Chief on 'Breaking Bad's' Secret to Success; Says Network Offers 'Highest Value for Penny'And here's my part: I will finally stop talking about it. I'm not doing this because I feel entitled or above it -- I'm doing it because I accept that I will not change hearts nor minds. I will not convince you they weren't dead the whole time, nor resent you for believing they were despite my infinite declarations otherwise.Let this be our pact. And I'll just have to trust you on this -- I don't have Badger and Skinny Pete pointing lasers at your chests to keep you honest. And the truth is, there's no way everyone is going to read, let alone agree with this deal.But I'm going to keep my part. I'm done. I'm out. Just one last thing before I go …I stand by the Lost finale. It's the story that we wanted to tell, and we told it. No excuses. No apologies. I look back on it as fondly as I look back on the process of writing the whole show. And while I'll always care what you think, I can't be a slave to it anymore. Here's why:I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was really … I was alive."I loved Lost. A top 2 show all time for me, and a top 2 last ep too.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oops only meant to post the last paragraph, but since its there now......But I'm going to keep my part. I'm done. I'm out. Just one last thing before I go …I stand by the Lost finale. It's the story that we wanted to tell, and we told it. No excuses. No apologies. I look back on it as fondly as I look back on the process of writing the whole show. And while I'll always care what you think, I can't be a slave to it anymore. Here's why:I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was really … I was alive."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Definitely my (breaking) Bad. I got the impression that he realized
how much fans were disappointed and he was disappointed in himself.

I am sorry I took it that way.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, Breaking Bad is finished. I've never seen Lost. Should I see it or not!? :) (Seriously)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's all a matter of opinion but I thought the ending of Lost was amazing and totally appropriate for that show. The only time that I have an issues with someone criticizing the end of Lost is when they are factually incorrect. Complaints like
"They were dead the whole time!" or "They didn't answer any questions!" or "They made everything up as they went along!" or the lesser seen "They said everything would be solved by real world science" are not correct.

In the end, I think people wanted some kind of "It was all X!" moment in the final scene where one thing tied every thread of every story together and that's a ridiculous expectation. And whether people know it or not, the mystery is always more interesting than the solution.

SamT, Lost sure isn't as good as Breaking Bad but it's easily the best drama on network TV in probably 20 years. In other words, check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks