Breakfast Club sequel?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mikel_Cooperman, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    From Dark Horizons...

Emilio Estevez has signed on to appear in a sequel to cult John Hughes Brat Pack movie "The Breakfast Club", despite missing out on joining his castmates for a MTV Movie Awards reunion last month due to a family emergency reports Contact Music.

Estevez urges fans of the film not to take his no-show as a sign he's not interested in a planned sequel. He adds, "John's got an idea for a sequel - mature aged students at college, all doing time again - for some reason or another.

"The twist would be that we're all the polar opposites of how we were in the original. Judd Nelson for instance, would now be the straight-laced one. I'm definitely in. If it happens, I'm there."

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    sounds corny and contrived. I'll be looking out for this one with my dread glasses on.

3. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Why not have them meet up again at their 25 year high school reunion? I like the concept of them changing stereotypes, obviously Anthony Michael Hall is no tiny nerd anymore, but I'd like leave Judd Nelson the way he is, perhaps just freed out of jail. Make Ally Sheedy's character hot now, like how she looked at the MTV show, yowza!

4. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    What I like about this idea as apposed to the potential 16 Candles Sequel is that John Hughes may write it.

5. Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander Second Unit

They all just happen to be going to college together at 40?

6. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

A high school reunion sounds a bit more plausible.

7. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

A bit?

Strange how just the premise can take it from something one looks forward to seeing, to something you're reluctant about. High School reunion? [​IMG] College? [​IMG]

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    A death bringing them all toghether for a funeral would make more sense than them all going to college at the same time, the same college and a contrived reason why they would be stuck together. The death wouldn't even have to be a character from the first film, it could be a teacher or something they all shared that just wasn't mentioned the first time around.

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Principal Vernon? [​IMG]

10. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Anything that contains the original cast, and is written and directed by Hughes, I'm very interested in.

If they replace writers or swap the director, my interest drops dramatically to Less Than Zero (oops, another movie)

11. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Then tbey could turn it into a horror movie where he comes back to crack some skulls.

12. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

Wasn't that done in The Big Chill?

13. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Does anyone have a pic of the cast from the MTV awards?

14. Robert Powers

Robert Powers Stunt Coordinator

How about both a high school reuinion and a death?!!![​IMG]

15. Mark Hawley

Mark Hawley Second Unit

Would anyone have expected back then, that over 20 years later, only Anthony Michael Hall would be working consistently?

Same thing with Stand by Me. Even if much of it is dubious (ie: Tomcats), the only actor of the four cast member that's still working consistently, in relatively high-profile projects, is Jerry O'Connell. I don't think anyone would have expected that.

16. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm actually excited by this possibility, I always did want to see a sequel to that classic that catches up with the gang years later. [​IMG]

I also really miss Emilio Estevez, i've always liked him as an actor and it'll be great seeing him again in a film.

As for Judd, I always imagined that perhaps Bender was influenced in a positive way by that one day and went on to straighten his act up and do something with his life, thus proving everyone, especially that jerk Vernon, wrong.

And, can anyone grasp the notion that Anthony Michael Hall could probably now wipe the floor with Judd Nelson? I can't. [​IMG]

I hope this pans out.

17. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

I know what you meant but I don't think Keifer Sutherland has been hurting for work lately either. [​IMG]

18. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Sequel, sure, college setting, heck no, high school reunion yea sure much easier to swallow, funeral and reunion because of it, plausible. But what would be the plot, what would be the purpose of the film, just to show what they do now and what happened to them after that Saturday, I think a little more would be needed.

19. Robert Powers

Robert Powers Stunt Coordinator

Jerome,

You are right. Just for them to reuinite and show how the geek and thud improved their life is not enough for a movie. Maybe if the movie showed each character's life separately as a parent and the struggle they are having with their own children who are at the age they were in the first movie. Each character will still have their own problems (whether it is a mid life crisis, financial crisis, or whatever). Each character still lives in the same city that they went to high school in but they do not reunite as a group. What would be the reason for all members to reuinite since the movie was set for just one Saturday?! That was just another day in high school for them. That one day would not have had a huge influence on each of their lives.

20. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

What was the plot of the first movie? It wasn't a plot driven movie, it was a movie that explored characters and situations. That's all a sequel would be as well.