'Breaker' Morant: Masterworks Edition coming 26 October 2004

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Douglas Bailey, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    DVD Empire lists a new Wellspring "Masterworks Edition" release of Bruce Beresford's excellent film 'Breaker' Morant, due for release on 26 October.

Has anyone heard any details as to what's going to be included on this set? Wellspring's site doesn't list it, and I've not seen it mentioned on any of the upcoming-discs sites I read.

Their previous disc, released when they were still Fox Lorber, had a decent non-anamorphic transfer (the same as used for the Criterion laserdisc, I believe) compromised by pretty dire MPEG compression. I hope the new set will contain an anamorphic transfer, and that the compression will be better-done this time around.

I'm also interested as to extras, since this film has never had them, to my knowledge. (Even the Criterion disc was bare-bones.) What I'd really like would be a commentary track from Beresford and actors Woodward, Brown, Thompson and Fitz-Gerald, but I don't suppose I'll start holding my breath just yet. :)

2. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Douglas,

If this is true, this is great news. I had no idea this new release was in the works. It is one of my favorite Australian films.

I had hoped Paramount was going to do something special for last year's release of Gallipoli so let's hope the same fate doesn't fall upon Wellspring's upcoming release of Breaker Morant.

3. JohnTRU

JohnTRU Stunt Coordinator

Let's hope actually gets released here in Australia, as opposed to 'Gallipoli', which is without a doubt the best movie to come from these shores (IMHO of course), yet isn't available on dvd.

It's a pity that we don't make films like this anymore. The last decent Aussie film (apart from 'Undead', which was fantastic in its stupidity) was 'Two Hands', a film which I don't think was released overseas, and is the only proof on film that Heath Ledger can act, and that was made six years ago. Dark days indeed...

Anyway, back to my original point - let's hope this gets released in Australia too! And while the compaines are at it, how about 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' as well as 'Gallipoli' too!

4. Ben Silva

Ben Silva Stunt Coordinator

John you've been missing some great Aussie films then. Rabbit Proof Fence, Japanese Story and Moulin Rouge! are three magnificent Australian films that come to mind; and The Hard Word, Chopper, Garage Days, Lantana, and Til Human Voices Wake Us are very good too. BTW, Two Hands was released on Video here in the US. When I worked at Blockbuster in 1999 it was one of the new releases.

5. Manus

Manus Second Unit

Anyway, back to my original point - let's hope this gets released in Australia too! And while the compaines are at it, how about 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' as well as 'Gallipoli' too!

'Picnic at Hanging Rock' at least is on the way : http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...n=1&burl=r%3D0

...and its available to buy at ezydvd.com.au

Manus

6. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Those are some excellent titles, but don't forget about Cane Toads - a fantastic Australian documentary, and Babe certainly deserves high marks. While on the subject of great Australian films that leave you smiling let's definitely add The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert near the top of the list - and The Castle deserves to be on that list as well I think.

Of course no list of top Australian films should be with out The Singing Detective and Ken Cameron's absolutely brilliant Bangkok Hilton with Nicole Kidman and Hugo Weaving among others. You could also add Shine and Swimming Upstream - two very good biopics with Geoffrey Rush. Sam Neil has been in several favorite Aussie films of mine like Dead Calm, The Dish, The Piano, My Brilliant Career, and his latest, the Aussie mini series Jessica.

Other Australian films not mentioned that I'd highly recommend would have to include Phillip Noyce's The Quiet American, Muriel's Wedding, Strictly Ballroom, Geoffrey Wright's Romper Stomper, Peter Weir's The Year of Living Dangerously, Mad Max (for cult status) [​IMG], and Flirting with Nicole Kidman.

I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard Chopper is supposed to be quite good as well.

There is certainly no shortage of excellent Australian films!

7. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I enjoyed Spotswood starring Anthony Hopkins. Not a major work, but a warm hearted film.

8. JohnTRU

JohnTRU Stunt Coordinator

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of those titles bought up, but a lot of them were from a long time ago. In regards to 'Chopper'; it's a pretty ordinary film made watchable only by Eric Bana's awesome portrayal. If it weren't for his performance, the film (IMHO) would be useless.

As for 'Rabbit Proof Fence', I thought it was good, but not great, 'Japanese Story' bored the pants off me, but I'll give you 'Moulin Rouge', that was pretty cool. Maybe I'm just picky.

However, if we needed to start a list of crappy Aussie films that have come out recently, I'm willing to start it off with above twenty or so (off the top of my head) that do no business and cost tax payers millions of dollars. But that's for another thread.

Good to see 'Picnic...' will be available!

9. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    Nils, what's Australian about The Singing Detective? The original miniseries was British, and the film remake was American (as far as I'm aware).

10. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Stunt Coordinator

Two Hands is excellent and it's on DVD in several countries.

There has been a lot of rubbish Australian films of course. But if you think there's nothing decent since Two Hands then that's because you're watching only rubbish films. There's been plenty of great films out including The Interview, Praise, The Boys All of those are on DVD.

Breaker Morant is a classic and I hope Wellspring don't **** it up like they do with so many of their releases (including some of their very latest titles from Europe).

The best (by miles) Picnic at Hanging Rock is the new German DVD. I was quite shocked at just how good it looked compared to the terrible Criterion disc.

11. Daniel Windsor

...and the great Lantana! From Ray Lawrence (director of the great Bliss (supposed to have been released by AnchorBay this year).

12. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The new R4 DVD suprasses it, with the same transfer and vastly better extras.

13. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Youre saying the transfer on the new R4 PAHR from Oz is even better than the German!?

I cannot wait- Just ordered it- Only $23USD Delivered!
    ---

NOW if we could just light a fire under WELLSPRING to upgrade their Lina Wertmulller Catalog BEFORE she is gone...Would love to see 16x9 enhanced versions of SWEPT AWAY, SEVEN BEAUTIES, LOVE AND ANARCHY etc

14. Daniel Windsor

Have you seen both? I never mentioned extras.

15. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    A couple of sites list an audio commentary among the extras, but DVD Planet give the Breaker Morant extras as follows:

20-Minute Interview w/ actor Edward Woodward; In-Depth Character Breakdown; Photo Gallery & Theatrical Trailer.

The transfer is 1.85:1 anamorphic. For nearly $30, I'd expect something a little more, er, Criterion standard.

16. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

But that's all you'd get on a $30 Criterion disc anyway!

(That said, at least you'd be guaranteed a terrific transfer - something which Wellspring seem to be extremely hit and miss with.)

17. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    That 'guarantee' is why I'm perfectly happy to hand over $30 for a Criterion disc, Jon. Anyone else...