What's new

"Breaker 19, you got a copy on me" CONVOY!! (1 Viewer)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Convoy.

I want this on DVD!!

Please? whichever studio is responsible for this great film, please consider releasing this on DVD!

Please?

I need it badly.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Studio Canal owns this movie, which would probably mean Anchor Bay can put it out in the US. It is out on DVD in Europe, but of course that means it's PAL format.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
This movie should have been on Mystery Science Theater 3000!

2.35:1 widescreen is important for this film...TCM had to resort to using a poor quality P&S print for their "month of stuntment" broadcast.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
A great american trucker movie in PAL? C'mon Anchor Bay please give us Convoy!

Thats ok, my friend in Australia says Mad Max isn't out yet in Australia, hmmmm go figure.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
FYI, only the German DVD is uncut. It is PAL and anamorphic. The UK and French versions are missing 3 minutes.

Jeff

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
If it's directed by Sam Peckinpah, I'll likely buy it. And yes, that includes 'The Osterman Weekend."

Bring on Convoy!

Carrol Jo

Grip
I've suggested Convoy to Anchor Bay on a few occasions, even pointing out to them how avid the cult around this film has become. On the other hand, most of the European DVD releases of the film have been by Warner Home Video/Studio Canal, so Warner may indeed be the one to put this out in the states.
From what I've heard - and this may be speculation - the hold-up on a region-1 release of Convoy is to do with music rights, not unlike the case for many years with Two-Lane Blacktop.
Presently, there are at least five (5) DVD releases of this film that I know of--all region-2: Netherlands, U.K., France, Germany and Japan.
I've had the Japanese, French and British ones, the latter two of which are identical in every aspect except for cover art. They (French/British) are both anamorphic 2.35:1 with removable subs. The only extras are filmographies and a photo gallery (including a few behind-the-scenes shots with James Coburn, who served as assistant director or second-unit director on the film).
As someone stated above, approximately 3 minutes of a scene have been removed from these editions. Also as stated above, the German release by Kinowelt is supposed to be the only PAL release to be unedited.
If you have a multi-region player but can only do NTSC, there's the Japanese release by Pioneer LDC. It's unedited but unfortunately it's Pan & Scan, with fixed Japanese subs. Additionally, the picture is really crappy - faded, grainy... my VHS copy looks better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks