"Breaker 19, you got a copy on me" CONVOY!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Conklin, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Convoy.

I want this on DVD!!

Please? whichever studio is responsible for this great film, please consider releasing this on DVD!

Please?

I need it badly.

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Studio Canal owns this movie, which would probably mean Anchor Bay can put it out in the US. It is out on DVD in Europe, but of course that means it's PAL format.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    This movie should have been on Mystery Science Theater 3000!

2.35:1 widescreen is important for this film...TCM had to resort to using a poor quality P&S print for their "month of stuntment" broadcast.

4. Sean Conklin

A great american trucker movie in PAL? C'mon Anchor Bay please give us Convoy!

Thats ok, my friend in Australia says Mad Max isn't out yet in Australia, hmmmm go figure.

5. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    FYI, only the German DVD is uncut. It is PAL and anamorphic. The UK and French versions are missing 3 minutes.

Jeff

6. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

If it's directed by Sam Peckinpah, I'll likely buy it. And yes, that includes 'The Osterman Weekend."

Bring on Convoy!

7. Sean Conklin

Yeah baby, bring it on!! You got a 10-4 on that?

8. Carrol Jo

Carrol Jo Extra

I've suggested Convoy to Anchor Bay on a few occasions, even pointing out to them how avid the cult around this film has become. On the other hand, most of the European DVD releases of the film have been by Warner Home Video/Studio Canal, so Warner may indeed be the one to put this out in the states.
    From what I've heard - and this may be speculation - the hold-up on a region-1 release of Convoy is to do with music rights, not unlike the case for many years with Two-Lane Blacktop.
    Presently, there are at least five (5) DVD releases of this film that I know of--all region-2: Netherlands, U.K., France, Germany and Japan.
    I've had the Japanese, French and British ones, the latter two of which are identical in every aspect except for cover art. They (French/British) are both anamorphic 2.35:1 with removable subs. The only extras are filmographies and a photo gallery (including a few behind-the-scenes shots with James Coburn, who served as assistant director or second-unit director on the film).
    As someone stated above, approximately 3 minutes of a scene have been removed from these editions. Also as stated above, the German release by Kinowelt is supposed to be the only PAL release to be unedited.
    If you have a multi-region player but can only do NTSC, there's the Japanese release by Pioneer LDC. It's unedited but unfortunately it's Pan & Scan, with fixed Japanese subs. Additionally, the picture is really crappy - faded, grainy... my VHS copy looks better.