Break out the condoms 'cuz Columbia screws us again!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Ah Columbia Tri-Star, full screen advocate and strong contender to Anchor Bay for multiple (and do we mean multiple) releases of the same title.

Once again, they have decided to release a full frame only DVD of "Little Nikita", which in case some of you don't know, stars Sidney Poitier and the late River Phoenix.

Hey Columbia, instead of putting out 10 different DVD's of "Men In Black", how about you sport a measely widescreen transfer of your catalog titles? It won't hurt, in fact, you'll feel much better about yourselves. I promise.

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I don't think they'd bother to use condoms...

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    ...or buy us dinner first.

This DVD release practice is terribly annoying to me as well.

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm none too pleased with Columbia. They should not release any material without an OAR presentation being available. There is no excuse.

5. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Don't they have an email address, phone number, or other way to contact them to register our displeasure?

I'm still ticked about Road to Wellville.

Warner knew about the Wonka shitstorm, is Columbia even aware of the anger they are riling up?

6. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

If they use condoms, it may just slow down the spread of MARV, the Modified Aspect Ratio Virus.

7. Rain

Rain Producer

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Have you followed up any further on the petition, Rain? Try sending e-mails and snail-mails. Hell, call them! In your e-mails, link these people to the threads that are raging here, while pointing out to them that HTF has nearly 30,000 registered members.

They may not care, as you say. But 30,000 screaming home-theater fanatics comprise a hard-to-ignore force of sorts.

9. Rain

Rain Producer

Actually, I haven't followed up further. Seems to me that their continuing to release "formatted to fit your TV"-only product implies that the petition had little effect.

However, if someone would care to refresh my memory as to their email address or phone number, I'd be happy to try contacting them to see what they say.

10. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Yea, whatever research department decided that this title would sell better in full screen needs to get their figures straight. This is a title that mostly ecclectic movie buffs will buy.

Oh yea, I forgot... at CTHV they don't have a research department - just a monkey pressing buttons at random. Then again, at some point, even a monkey would realize that pressing the widescreen button most will make the company more money and yield the monkey more bananas.

oo oo aa aa

Thank you, monkey. You just saved me and thousands of other DVD enthusiasts fifteen bucks.

11. Rain

Rain Producer

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I don't think faulty logic has to be typed, it's just faulty, and not worth having. In fact, is it logic?

14. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Although Ive never seen Little Nikita, I am just as displeased with this news, as I was looking forward to buying the Road to Welville...alas, it will be full frame, so no OAR no sale...

15. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Columbia will keep releasing full frame titles until eventually every member of this forum will be pissed off by at least one full frame title (and by the rate they are releasing them, that should be pretty soon). Maybe then we can get a petition started that will contain more than 3200 signatures.

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Rain, I'd keep working at them. DVD issues don't happen overnight, you know. The ones being released now were already in the hopper well before your petition went in to Columbia. I would not take their present issuance of MAR discs as some kind of indicator that they're blowing it off; it could just be them releasing what was already done and paid for. Pursue it further (sorry to lay this on you, but you're the one who sent the petition in). And yes, use the phone and snail mail, because they get attention that email doesn't.

The only reason there was such a fast response on Wonka was that Warner had originally intended to do a widescreen release, had the transfer done and then decided not to issue it. So when the shit hit the fan, they were able to turn around quickly and issue it. That's not necessarily the case here (though if Sony is doing HD transfers on all films, as has been stated here before, I question whether that's necessarily true).

17. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

18. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

19. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Are there going to be separate Asian (NTSC) releases of these in widescreen? Most of Columbia's catalog titles are actually coded for regions 1, 3 and 4, even if it only indicates region 1 on the cover (this is usually the case if the disc contains any Asian languages, or Portuguese in the case of region 4.) This might mean that all NTSC-using countries are just getting pan and scan, but would be interesting if they put out widescreen versions only in region 3!

20. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    This still baffles me since Columbia started out in DVD so well and their parent company Sony would seem to have a vested interest in promoting widescreen, which matches those expensive 16:9 TVs they make.