Break in period on new Paradigms?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Reznik, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s & CC and I'm about to buy either 100's or the 60's (as soon as I can decide).
    Is there a break in period for these speakers? If so, what are you supposed to do (or not do) durring the break in period? How long does it last?
    There wasn't anything in the documentation that came with the speakers about a break in period.
    ------------------

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

because there isn't any

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No redlining until after 500mi [​IMG]
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

4. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Actually, Paradigm specifically states that there is a run-in time for their speakers. It's mentioned somehwere on their website. If I recal it might have been approximately 50 hours. Nonetheless, Paradigm are commonly noted to sound particularly forward to bright right out of the box.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

5. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

There's definitely a break-in period. Aside from the manual stating:
    "Although Paradigm Reference speakers sound great right out of the box, they will sound even better after they are broken in. We therefor recommend that you operate the speakers several hours before any criticle listening."
    I have 2prs of 40s, and the before and after break-in is NOT subtle. I purchased my 2nd pair about 2 weeks after my 1st. The biggest change is the tweeter, highs smooth out quite a bit. I'd say the biggest change is after 3-5hours of playing music at moderate levels. After this initial change, the differences become subtle...I'd say I noticed theses subtle changes for 2 weeks 'bout 30hours of regular listening.
    The CC will beak-in after 1-2 movies at moderate level, 10-15dB below reference.
    BTW, when I got my 2nd pr, I rotated the speakers ... front 40s went to rear, & new 40s became the front. At first, I thought something was wrong, as they sounded very different. But, as I said, after 3-5hours they sound just like my the ones I just moved to the rear ... smooth, great imaging, traparent, huge soundstage ... I really like my Paradigms.
    Cheers!
    Mass

6. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

7. Rutledge

Rutledge Stunt Coordinator

I heard that! LOL.

8. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Whether it's real or perceived....it still takes a good week or so of solid demoing for the new speakers to sound nice IMO. YMMV.
    Dave

9. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    After I bought my monitor 7v2's and cc-370 it took about 2-3 weeks before the highs began to come down. I live in an apartment so I was not able to really push them as much as I wanted to in order to break them in, so that probably accounts for my longer than normal break in period. Chris
    ------------------
    Star Wars: http://www.ig88-.net

10. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Anecdotal evidence, but someone posted this on the rec.audio.high-end newsgroup once - he bought a new pair of speakers, measured the frequency response, then let only one of them run for about a week, and then measured both speakers again. He found distinct differences, up to 2 dB (if I remember correctly) at certain frequencies. Of course, all the people who don't believe in break-in jumped down his throat and demanded details about his measurements tools and techniques, room temperatures, etc etc etc. The point being, this was an informal 'test', not scientifically rigorous at all. In my books though, even an informal test with known limitations is usually better than other people's wisdom [​IMG]