What's new

Break in on Direct Views? (1 Viewer)

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
Do direct view sets need time to break in like RPTVs?

I'm asking because I picked up a Wega 32fs13 last Monday and it looked pretty good after minor color/brightness/tint adjustments. However, I was doing a little extra calibration last night and noticed some brightness issues along the top and a slight funhouse effect common to a lot of Wegas.

The thing is, I didn't see this stuff when I did my initial calibration. Is it possible that the TV is "breaking-in" and that the image is changing slightly as I amass more hours on the set? Or do direct views stay pretty much the same out of the box?

It would truly suck if an unbearable problem came up after the 30 day return period was up. As of now, I can deal with the minor problems that already exist, but one more problem and I'll return the thing right quick.

Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
There is a lot of debate about this issue. But, in general, no--a direct-view set does not require a break-in period. Make your initial calibrations now with VE or AVIA, and, after you get used to the WEGA, determine then if you think a more comprehensive grey-scale calibration is in order.

(Also, do not let the set run for hours at a time when you are not watching it; instead of breaking it in, you'd be just breaking it by letting the phosphors wear out without your enjoying the images.)

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
Did you start calibrating immediately after turning the set on? I've heard that you should let the TV warm up for half an hour or so before starting to calibrate.

It's possible that as you get more used to the set and its image, you start noticing stuff you didn't before. If the problems are consistent and you can't live with them, you might have better luck with another set. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I always let the set warm up for a bit before I do the calibrations.

I think I just got more used to the picture and had the "new TV with anamorphic squeeze" giddiness wear off.

I also switched from S-video switching through my receiver (Kenwood VR-407) to running component connections from my DVD to TV.

The Kenwood was altering the source S-video signal so much that I was struggling to get the color and brightness calibrated right and probably didn't pay much attention to the minor stuff.

With the component connections, it seemed much easier to calibrate the set and I had the time to really look at the geometry, etc, so I noticed the problems.

Oh well, that's what I get for buying a Wega. Don't get me wrong, even with the minor problems I mentioned, the picture still looks outstanding after proper calibration, especially with the 16:9 compression turned on.

Still, I think the set is going back for the 32" Samsung HD set. For $400 more, I'll still get a flat screen 32", with HD capability and progressive DVD display.

That way, when HD actually becomes the norm, I can upgrade to a RPTV and relegate the Samsung to bedroom duty.

Thanks for the info.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Anthony, please email me @ [email protected]. I have a Samsung TSL3294HF TV purchased directly from Samsung for a LOT less then Sears, etc has it for being delivered tomorrow. I paid $952 shipped brand new from Samsung. I can supply you with my contact at Samsung's email addy and you can contact her about the model you are looking for. I can confirm she works directly for Samsung as I have spoken to her via telephone at her Samsung office (they are located 10mn from me in Northern NJ).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
To reaffirm the above, yes, you must let the set warm up before making any picture adjustments--a half hour should be sufficient, but an hour might be better. It must reach thermal stability before having its picture adjusted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks