What's new

Breadmakers ! (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Appears these were once the "must have" items in the kitchen, but soon fell out of vogue.... Now my daughter and wife have an interest, so my research has begun.

Any feedback on the best Breadmaker models ? Not sure what features are available, just my "price pain point" is 100.00 or less. Speed would be nice (if some are faster than others)

Thanks !

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I've had very good luck with this cookbook. It takes about four hours to bake bread in my "sunbeam" breadmaker. I generally bake bread in it about twice a week-- depending on whether I happen to have yeast around. Theoretically you can use the timer function to bake bread overnight, but sometimes the yeast drowns if you're not to careful.

It hasn't died on me yet, but I've been lucky. The gasket used to seal the paddle--pan interface is the major point of failure, though if the motor is poorly designed, that might fail too.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Theoretically you can use the timer function to bake bread overnight, but sometimes the yeast drowns if you're not to careful.

If you follow the directions closely, that's not a problem.

The bigger problem is that by the time you buy the mix, the bread is no cheaper than just buying a loaf already baked, and there are only a few choices of mix, fewer types than pre-baked bread... I'll bet bread makers rank high on the "bought it but haven't used in ages" list.

mylan

Screenwriter

This is exactly what I said to a friend who asked why I never got into brewing my own beer.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
This is true, but if you forego the mixes and make your bread from scratch ingredients, then there is some money to be saved, though it's still not much.

Even so, the point of having a bread maker isn't to save money. It's to have freshly-baked bread in the house. And not just any freshly-baked bread, but freshly-baked bread that isn't available in a mix or in baked form anywhere else. I can get a loaf of whole-wheat or French bread anywhere, but if I want Jalepeno Cheddar Beer Bread or V-8 Sunflower Seed Spelt Bread or Picante Sesame Chipotle Bread, I have to make it myself.

I love my breadmaker.

Models with rectangular loaf pans are nicer than models with square or round loaf pans. And make sure you get one with the paddle gasket integrated into the pan. (In other words, it should be like a blender. In some breadmakers, the gasket is in the bottom of the machine, and you have to insert the pan into the machine order to seal the gasket. Avoid this type.)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Buy the mix? Hmm?

I buy my butter, sesame seeds, flour, paprika, honey, olive oil, salt, yeast, cardamom and so on as needed, and mix them up on my own, according to the demands of each recipe. The only thing that's glaringly expensive (besides the cardamom, used in one or two recipes) is the yeast. For me it's not about saving money. It's about having fresh, non-industrialized bread.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
That's really the whole point of baking your own. Homemade bread, even made by one of the machines, is far superior to anything you are going to get at a Supermarket. Even though I have baked bread for years without using a bread machine I like the fact the bread machines are easy to use and have introduced those who would never make it by hand to fresh baked homemade bread. At least these people now know that the bread produced by the industrial conglomerates is devoid of body and texture.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Another reason that many people use bread makers is due to allergies (or similar). For instance, I must follow a gluten-free diet. While there are gluten-free breads available they are expensive and usually very dry for my taste. There are however some terrific gluten-free mixes to use with bread makers.

We have a BreadmanPro that we got from Target about 2 years ago and we make bread on average once every two weeks. We haven't had any problems yet.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
seth any specific brands you can suggest and were you buy.

also dont forget the delicious smell of fresh baking bread.

mmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonfa
Recent bookmarks