What's new

Brazillian GP results change? (1 Viewer)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Well last Sunday's wet and weird race just gets weirder. The FIA is now reviewing whether or not Fisichella had crossed the start finish line when the Red Flag came out. IF he had, then the race ended on lap 56, not 55 as was previously assumed. In this case the positions would revert to lap 54 which Fisi was leading. If this stands then Fisi would get his first Grand Prix victory and Jordan their fourth!

The final decision will be made on Friday.

I watched the end of the race last night and I think its entirely possible that Fisichella could have crossed the line in time. In the replay of Alonso's crash the yellow line for the pit entry is visible leading up to the second kink of the main "straight" at Interlagos. First Fisichella and then Kimi Räikkönen weave their way through the wreckage of Webber's crash and both have disappear around the bend by the time Alonso nails one of the tires on the track at 150mph. There was certainly enough time for Fisi to have crossed the line which was only a few hundred yards away before the race was stopped.

I for one hope it works out for Fisi, he and Jordan deserve the win more than McLaren do, IMO.

And for those who hadn't heard, Reubens' "fuel pressure problem" that ended his race was caused by a complete lack of fuel in his tank!

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
And for those who hadn't heard, Reubens' "fuel pressure problem" that ended his race was caused by a complete lack of fuel in his tank!
Did he pit for the first time yet? If not he should blame the new rule change...stupid stupid rule, you gotta start the race with the same fuel you ended qualifying with.

I'm really not liking this season at all. The rule changes annoyed me when I heard them and its causing too much chaos and confusion.

Oh and what about the delay for the start because you can only have 2 tire types with you??? FIA is shooting itself in the foot.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Mike I'm not sure if he had pitted or not, I tend to think he had not and the culprit was not the "stupid rule changes" (and I agree with you that they ARE stupid) but rather all those laps behind the safety car. Full course yellows are still (thankfully) rare in F1 and I suspect that they did not calibrate their fuel metering well under low-flow conditions, and therefore underestimated how much fuel was used at the starting yellow flag laps.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
F1 really needs to work on its rules. The two tire rule and no changes after qualifying are stupid. Most of the qualifying stuff is dumb. Can they still get in the backup car if they wreck in the first corner? I always thought that was pretty weak.

I think the F1 people need to spend some time at Indy during May. They really need to work on their accident response. At the end of the race it took far too long for people to respond to the accident. And they don't appear to do a good job of communicating to the drivers that there is a problem on the track, which only made the wreck worse.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I gotta admit those last crashes were pretty wild though. Luckily noone was seriously hurt. I totally forgot about all the time at full course caution at the start. That wouldn't have happened if they were allowed to have more than 2 tire types. They would have all had their full wet tires instead of intermediates and would have been able to race as normal.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Well it's official. Apparently Fisichella had crossed the line to start the 56th lap 4 seconds before the red flag came out, so the finishing order reverts to the placings at the end of the 54th lap, giving Fisi the win. There was no dispute from Ron Dennis & McLaren so the evidence must have been clear.

Congratulations to Fisichella and Jordan Grand Prix!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks