What's new

brazil non criterion transfer (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i will be glad to help verify that jeff, rob and vic are correct.

i owned both dvd versions of this,... umm dvd and they were exactly the same cut and time.

i also have the criterion laser and it was one of the most awaited titles i can recall.....waiting for.

every film lover shopuld own the criterion dvd even if you arent a big fan of the movie.
it is the most complete collection of material about how to make a movie and how to destroy a movie on any set.

now maybe surpassed by the lord of the rings set.
but that one doesnt tell you how to destroy a movie.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
As Tony quite rightly said, I don't think I've ever seen so explicit and shocking an example of how to utterly destroy a truly great piece of cinema through post-production.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yes, the Criterion DVD was worth it (bought it *after* the Uni), but now I want a 4 disc Criterion set, with the "American" version too. Don't have LD capability here. My experience, with Criterions and even the standard release of 12 Monkeys, is that ANY commentary/documentary with or about Terry Gilliam is worth the $$.

Now that I have a DVDP with a bit rate display, I can check out the two "identical" versions. But honestly, the Criterion transfer is not that obviously superior here. A higher bit rate may not have any practical visual benefit IF the source is not good/clean enough to merit it.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I think it could still be a three disc set, with the American Theatrical, European Theatrica, and Final Director's Cut all on disc one with seamless branching. There are few real differences between the three so it wouldn't be too hard.

The Love Conquers All cut is so fundementally different that it would still need it's own separate disc.

-Lyle J.P.

StevenA

Second Unit
I think it could still be a three disc set, with the American Theatrical, European Theatrica, and Final Director's Cut all on disc one with seamless branching. There are few real differences between the three so it wouldn't be too hard.
That really would be sensational (not that the current Criterion set isn't).

A 16:9 re-release with all three "legitimate" cuts on the first disc and the other two discs can basically remain the same.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Resurrecting an older thread...

I just picked up the Universal version of this at Best Buy yesterday for $14.99. I'm not a huge fan of the film so far, but I wanted to check it out again.

From what I'm seeing, Universal seems to have released this DVD twice. Especially since Best Buy all of a sudden had 10 copies of this, but has not had anything but the Criterion for a while.

So the one I got has a small yellow strip on the lower right-hand side of the front cover that says something to the effect of "restored footage", and the specs list 2 hours 23 minutes.

However,

all the covers I've seen online, including Universal's website and DVDEmpire, show specs of 2 hours 11 minutes with no yellow strip on the cover.

So, did Universal change this, or was the DVD that came out marked as 2 hours 11 minutes a misprint? And, they both seem to have the same UPC code. Geez, understaing this situation is almost as hard as understanding the movie!

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
So besides the difference in picture quality in the two from DVD-5 to DVD-9, the content is identical?

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
The laserdisc sold for $150, and was a bargain at that price.

All DVDs are cheap. Why some people fail to grasp that continues to baffle me.

Charlie

Guy_K

Second Unit
Does anybody know if Brazil will ever get re-released with a new anamorphic transfer?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
The laserdisc sold for $150, and was a bargain at that price. All DVDs are cheap. Why some people fail to grasp that continues to baffle me.
I'm not sure how that applies to this topic, but if it is an assumption that people are looking for the cheapest way to own the film, then I think it's off-base. It's simply about purchasing the most suitable release for one's needs in my opinion.

The issue of extras is currently being hotly debated in the Indy thread. Count me in as someone who watches extras once, if at all. There's really no point in me spending $30 or so more just for extras I'll never watch, even if it is the best set ever. With over 350 titles in my collection, a good number being box sets, there just isn't enough time to watch everything. I'd much rather watch another film or two in the time it can take to get through all the extras. The film itself and its A/V quality is what counts the most to me. In fact, the only discs I know for a fact that I have scoured every last extra on is all of the LOTR and Star Wars releases.

Please excuse this if it is unwarranted.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i had the origional universal version and it did not have that yellow stripe on the bottom but it did have the wrong total time. it said something like 89 mins which i think is the love short version time.

Film Info
142 minutes
that is the correct time of dvd.

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
@ Guy_K: Fox has just released the European Cut (136min.) of Brazil in 16:9 anamorphic in R2.
The picture on the Fox release is sharper, has more contrast and less noise, but is somewhat darker.
Criterion:

Fox:

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
this is great, I wonder if any chance of bringing the Criterion LD of Fisher King to the DVD ranks..include a trailer and the commentary...that would be so worth it, not only primo Gilliam, pure Gonzo Journalism :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks