Brazil Dvd 142 minute director's version?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JaimelM, Dec 6, 2001.

1. JaimelM

JaimelM Agent

I have been looking at the back covers of this dvd and it is the 131 minute version, what happened to the 142min version? Any comments? Thanks.

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    There are two DVDs of BRAZIL, one from Criterion, and one from Universal. Both discs contain the Director's Cut (142m), but the case for the Universal release has a typo on it, and lists the running time for the theatrical version (131m).

Put simply, if you have BRAZIL on DVD, then you have the director's cut.

3. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Not sure if the version you're looking at is the Universal single keepcase release, but the edition of BRAZIL that most folks are keen on is the Criterion 3-disc Special Edition. It's still available and is indeed the full version of the movie.

From memory, the single disc Universal release DOES also contain the same, full-length cut of the film, sans extras. The time you quoted in your post could perhaps be a typo.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Yes, the running time on the single-disc Universal edition is a typo. That disc contains the "final, final" director's cut that is also on the Criterion edition.

But the Criterion set *is* the one to get.

- Steve

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I would also recommend the Criterion. From a "film student" perspective, it is very interesting (and horrifying) to watch the Love Conquers All version. And the extras with Gilliam are a must-have.

6. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

If you like the movie, the Criterion 3 DVD set is a MUST. Even with all the advances in technology, I still think the Criterion Brazil set is the "Gold Standard" of what defines a "special edition", the content of the set is simply unmatched, and I think the packaging is simply and totally "cool".