Brazil: Criterion Collection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Knutzen, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

I was curious about the overall quailty of this disc: the picture, sound, extras.

I love the movie and I was thinking about picking it up. Anybody recommend it?

2. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

If you're at all interested in getting this DVD, be sure to get it.
    The picture quality isn't the greatest, and it's non 16x9, but the sound is decent for a 2.0 mix.
    The extra features are incredible.
    If you like Brazil, then the DVD is a must buy.
    Read the reviews at www.dvdfile.com www.digitalbits.com and dvd.ign.com
    Out of my 185 DVD's, it is in the top 3.

3. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

You must buy it ASAP.
    The video is presented in 1.85:1 non-anamorphic widescreen. The picture quality is decent, but it would be better off in anamorphic. Audio is Dolby Digital 2.0 (it's original sound mix) and it suits the film fine. I don't want to list the extras cause there's alot (check DVD Empire or Amazon [​IMG]), but the extras are worth the price of admission alone.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Believe me when I say that you will not regret buying this DVD if you like Brazil. The transfer and sound are fine... but the EXTRAS are freakin' AMAZING. I hold Brazil: Criterion Collection with the likes of Fight Club and the Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box as the best DVDs on the market. Get it! [​IMG]

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I have several DVDs that I really love. This one is my favorite.

6. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Hell, I don't love the film per se, and I even think it's okay, but I must echo the sentiments that the extras alone are worth the price of admission. Assuming of course you buy it online. But seriously, check out the movie first. It's not everyone's cup of tea. The extras and documentaries are almost a film school unto itself. Or at least a lesson in editing.

7. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

An excellent film...I bought this one a year & a half ago based on the recommendations of this forum and am very happy with the set. The extras included are among the very best ever presented for any film on DVD. Get it![​IMG]

8. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

Yep, it's worth getting. [​IMG] It's probably on everyones top 10 dvds list.

9. Tim_Prasuhn

Tim_Prasuhn Stunt Coordinator

Its one of the Criterion titles thats actually worth the hefty price tag. Features are beyond compare (hell, we get two completely different cuts of the movie), the picture and sound are decent enough for my tastes, etc.

Just get it.

10. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

Just recieved this in my mailbox this week! One of my favorite movies and this DVD certainly treats it right. If CC were to release it today, they may have insisted on anamorphic transfer and 5.1, but it is 3 years old when many titles weren't recieving such treatment. As far as material goes, probably one of the best DVDs out there. Found a real good price on it, too.

All hail the almighty Criterion Collection!

11. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Criterion's Brazil is a piece of DVD history. Even if it is a transfer from an exceptionally good LD, it's the whole package that elevates it to must-have status. You get the theatrical release, Gilliam's own cut, and a pile of extras explaining the twisted, outrageous, history of the film. It's not so much the technical excellence of the DVD as the quality of the content and its unparalleled explanation of big movie politics completely laid bare for the viewer.
    Criterion's Brazil isn't just entertainment it's an historical document making DVD revelant to the cineastes, studios, and anyone else who loves movies.
    DVD is in its infancy. Better media may come along, better boxed sets like this might come along. Brazil is seminal, [​IMG] still the biggest, the best, the first, and has set the standard for deluxe editions since DVD started. It's also a hella good movie.
    Buy the damn thing!

12. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I found the transfer, non-anamorphic or not, to be quite beautiful.....and the extras.....t..t..those staggering extras? Well I guess there okay. [​IMG]

13. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

This presentation is a classic case of how DVD can make me buy a movie title I would never have otherwise considered were it not for the fascinating and unique extras provided. "Brazil" will never strike me as that great a film but it is fascinating to see the information about the behind the scenes squabbles and the insights into how the studio can end up interfering with a project overall.

14. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

WOW

That was quite a response.

Thank you everyone for you reccomendations. I have no doubts in my mind about buying this DVD now.

15. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I bought a DVD player then I bought this set. Its why I bought a DVD player.