Bravox drivers and newbie diy questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisAK, Sep 5, 2002.

1. ChrisAK

ChrisAK Extra

Has anyone used the Bravox 5.25 shielded driver at PE? I would like to attempt a DIY speaker project. I am a firm believer in tried and true designs to start with, but the price is pretty tempting. The response curve looks as good as any I have seen. I have completed one speaker building book, but I still feel a little clueless on the matter. I feel I can layout a basic crossover and handle a sealed or vented enclosure; however, handling issues like picking the in-phase crossover point and correcting for a tweeter that is more sensitive than the woofer still seems a bit past my understanding. Also, if i use a MTM design, does that change my crossover layout dramatically (other than impedance adjustments)? Is there any free or reasonably priced software to do this? I am also leaning toward a Vifa 3/4 shielded textile dome tweeter.

2. Ben Ven

Ben Ven Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chris,

You are thinking of doing what I did. Except, I did not use the shielded Bravox 5.25" mid bass. I bought the Bravox drivers in 2000 for $5.00 each. I bought 10 of them to build MTM for my HT. I ended up only using 6 because I went with a full range Audax for the surrounds. In any case, I ended up using the 3/4" Vifa soft dome tweeter.
    I played with the crossover for 2 months. I finally decided to go with a first order design for 2 reasons 1. simplicity and 2. phase response.
    I also tried to time align the drivers by setting back the tweeter. Something to do I guess. I don't know how much different they would sound if I just had the tweeter on the same plane as the other 2 drivers.
    For the amount of money I spent, they sound great. Can't really get that in your face volume with them, but they are plenty loud.
    If I could only figure out how to post a picture in this reply you could see my handiwork.
    If you want you can e-mail me and I can give you more details.