What's new

Bravox drivers and newbie diy questions (1 Viewer)

ChrisAK

Grip
Has anyone used the Bravox 5.25 shielded driver at PE? I would like to attempt a DIY speaker project. I am a firm believer in tried and true designs to start with, but the price is pretty tempting. The response curve looks as good as any I have seen. I have completed one speaker building book, but I still feel a little clueless on the matter. I feel I can layout a basic crossover and handle a sealed or vented enclosure; however, handling issues like picking the in-phase crossover point and correcting for a tweeter that is more sensitive than the woofer still seems a bit past my understanding. Also, if i use a MTM design, does that change my crossover layout dramatically (other than impedance adjustments)? Is there any free or reasonably priced software to do this? I am also leaning toward a Vifa 3/4 shielded textile dome tweeter.

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Chris,

You are thinking of doing what I did. Except, I did not use the shielded Bravox 5.25" mid bass. I bought the Bravox drivers in 2000 for $5.00 each. I bought 10 of them to build MTM for my HT. I ended up only using 6 because I went with a full range Audax for the surrounds. In any case, I ended up using the 3/4" Vifa soft dome tweeter.
I played with the crossover for 2 months. I finally decided to go with a first order design for 2 reasons 1. simplicity and 2. phase response.
I also tried to time align the drivers by setting back the tweeter. Something to do I guess. I don't know how much different they would sound if I just had the tweeter on the same plane as the other 2 drivers.
For the amount of money I spent, they sound great. Can't really get that in your face volume with them, but they are plenty loud.
If I could only figure out how to post a picture in this reply you could see my handiwork.
If you want you can e-mail me and I can give you more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks