Bravo to Fox: THE LAST AMERICAN HERO

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Hertzberg, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
  2. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

Jeff Wells of Hollywood-Elsewhere has written a few pieces about this movie over the past couple of years.

With a low SRP, I might just pick this up unseen, since I doubt any video stores will have it for rental.

3. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

Jon

CATTLE ANNIE is probably with MGM now, as it was a co-production between hemdale and Monday films, similar to the Malcolm McDowell/Anthony Quinn film THE PASSAGE, as that is now owned by MGM.

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I, too was surprised when I saw reviews for this gem; at first, I thought it must be another filmed called The Last American Hero - but no; the 1973 Lamont Johnson film with the great Jeff Bridges in one of his best roles is on DVD! Hurray! It will be great to finally see this one in its original 2.35:1 framing.

I'd love to see Johnson's, 1974 TV movie, The Execution of Private Slovik, starring Martin Sheen as Eddie Slovik - the only American soldier to be executed for desertion since the Civil War. Universal owns the rights.

5. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

This used to play all the time on TV under the other title HARD DRIVER. It would have ben nice to include the alternate title sequence, but still nice that they restored it's panavision glory.

6. Jeffrey:K

Jeffrey:K Second Unit

And That Certain Summer. Unfortunately, 70's made-for-TV movies seem to be a bit thin on the ground in DVD land.

I may be the only one, but I'd also like to see Johnson's little-seen Visit to a Chief's Son on disc. As I remember it, it's a strange mixture of Boy's Own and travelogue filmed in Kenya.

By the way, isn't that Lamont Johnson playing the hotel clerk in Last American Hero? The part is uncredited.