What's new

Bravo THE DIGITAL BITS for summing up how it feels to be a DVD REVIEWER (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I started checking out The Digital Bits about 3-4 years ago and have found the reviews overall to be consistently well-written and the products well-researched for the reviews. I know for fact that if it hadn't been for TDB, I wouldn't have made my decisions regarding some great DVD choices I've made over the last three years (the Lord of the Rings DVDs and the Metropolis anime come immediately to mind).

As with anything in life, it always helps to be aware of both strengths and weaknesses simultaneously, so that way you can turn those weaknesses around into strengths.

One thing is the off-and-on mention of Easter eggs on DVD releases. While TDB may get some notable ones (T2, LOTR Extended, and The Abyss, for example), others do get lost in the shuffle. That's why there are other resources available online, including www.dvdreview.com and DVD Easter Eggs to supplement that need.

Another one is reviews of DVDs that may have slipped through the cracks on TDB. For example, FHE's DVD release of Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie came out six months ago, yet it took some searching online to find it at Link Removed. None of the "big three", as I would refer to them collectively - The Digital Bits, DVDFile, or DVDReview - managed to review this little gem of a film that is packed out to the max with extras and has a great reproduction that rivals the Pixar stuff.

Being aware of strengths and weaknesses simultaneously helps in the long run to only make you better, because you can capitalize on the strengths you have, work on the weaknesses to turn them into strengths, and wind up with a better product.

Having solid reviews on TDB and HTF, as well as sponsoring fan support of requested DVDs (the OriginalTrilogy.com fan site), gives DVDs the strong sense of legitimacy in the market, even with the awareness of illegal DVD products (and that's all I'll limit that part of the statement to for the respect of the site leaders). And the consistent stand for anamorphic widescreen is the trendsetter - when Star Wars: Episode II came out last November, I was able to sell a couple of potential buyers on the strengths of widescreen based on the helpful info from TDB! :)

Keep up the great work! :)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I came across this thread while doing some research - a great read, and one that I find I can relate to as an HTF reviewer. An oldie, but a goodie.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Nice find, Neil. I'd forgotten about this thread.

Interesting perspective when one considers this quotation from Ron's initial post of over 6 years ago:

As Adam [Jahnke at TDB] points out, none of us will ever get the
respect that PRINT and TV reviewers receive.

Certainly a valid insight at the time, but how times have changed. Forget "respect"; print reviewers can't even get jobs, with publications folding left and right. And who goes to TV reviewers to learn about DVDs? The internet has at least equal as a credible source. One is just as likely to see an internet disc review cited by a PR dep't as one from Entertainment Weekly.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
having reviewed movies for print and dvds for the internet, I prefer the dvds. Respect of the readers is overrated when compared to beefing up the dvd collection for free. While it was a kick to get the press kits with the photos, they've gone digital so they're not that exclusive. You watch a preview of a movie, when the theater lights come up, you're left with memories and your notes. Review a DVD/Blu-ray, and you've got a prize for the shelf or a gift to a friend if you never want to see it again. What's better, a digital press kit or a Blu-ray of The Godfather films?

The nice part about being the DVD reviewer is that if you're a good enough pal, I might loan you a reviewed title - or least have you over for dinner to watch it. Whereas the film critic can't really sneak friends into a preview screening. They merely mock you by telling you what a hard life it is and listing all the films they have to see that month. Rarely do they ask you to tag along since that's just not professional.

People do want to know about bonus features to make sure if it's worth upgrading.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Corey3rd

having reviewed movies for print and dvds for the internet, I prefer the dvds. Respect of the readers is overrated when compared to beefing up the dvd collection for free.
Although, there comes a time where your DVD collection gets too big. You see DVDs that you gave bad reviews for lying around (and it is a bit unethical to sell them).

But to go back to the original post, I have to agree that at times, the thoughts on the film are the least important part of a DVD review.

I've reviewed films theatrically before DVD and now review DVDs. They are different If someone wants to see a film, they will have usually made up their mind by the time it is released, to see it in theatres, or wait for DVD.

If someone likes a film, they really don't care what you have to say about the film in your DVD review. They just want to know what the extras are, or what the transfer is like. Nothing you can say will change their opinion.

It is always fun to champion a little known film, and get people to see it. That is a different thing.

But for the major titles, you might as well skip your thoughts on the film altogether.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Jon Martin /forum/thread/140746/bravo-the-digi...it-feels-to-be-a-dvd-reviewer/30#post_3620136

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I find the reviews of credible internet sites, such as this one, to be of far more value than TV/newspaper/magazine reviews (and have, going back almost to 2003). Of course every site is different, but the vast majority seem to be composed of reviewers who are also fans/buffs/consumers, and therefore disclose all the information one wants to know; for example, are the films remastered, is the OAR respected, are the TV episodes uncut with all music intact, does the packaging damage the discs, etc. And, now, is the movie on DVD or DVD-R?

I think that's the biggest advantage, because consumers don't lie. And if a property has been given bad treatment, there's no hiding it.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
while you don't need to explain much when it comes to the latest blockbuster coming out on DVD besides the extras, the vault and low profile releases do need more if the writer wants to share the love. This isn't merely about servicing the devoted, but tempting the curious to sample.

DVD (home video) has changed the game of the critic. Back in the '70s, the audience had no real control of what and when they could watch a film. They were at the mercy of local theater bookers and TV programmers. if they were lucky, there was an art house/college that ran retrospective series.

And if you wanted to rent a 16mm print (that wasn't part of your library's system), the fee was a little bit steeper than a Criterion DVD.

But now if you get a hankering for something - just put it on your netflix queue. film criticism was a cheap alternative to seeing the film - watching the movie through the eyes of another. but why bother with that now? cheaper to rent the dvd than buy the magazine with the review.

far as what to do with the lame dvds, i can always find someone to take them

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
By the time a film has come out on Blu ray or DVD I already pretty much know if a film is good or bad based of either seeing it or reading previous theatrical reviews. With Blu ray, my main interest is in PQ more than anything. The reviews on all the sights are a great information source for me. Unfortunately there are many trolls on the boards who use the opportunity to pounce on reviewers criticism and they do get very rude and nasty.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
If I have the right to bash Warner, a movie or an actor then someone has the right to bash me. I've always looked at it that way. Unless you sugar coat a review, as many sites make you, then you're going to draw heat from "die hard" fans who are going to throw a fit no matter what you say. You can't try to please anyone so it's best to stick to your guns, deliver what you want and people will either follow or back away. Most people can accept the fact that a reviewer is giving an opinion. A lot of people can't and they are the ones who throw a fit because Ron didn't think FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VIII wasn't the same quality as GONE WITH THE WIND.

If anything, I find a lot of websites getting rather boring because they only review popular stuff while lesser known titles either don't get reviewed or has someone reviewing it and putting the film down because a something that you should expect from a 90+ year old film. You can find a review of a Warner title at any website. It's harder to find a review of something from Synapse, Alpha or various other smaller labels. A lot of great releases are out there but they never get mentioned on bigger sites simply because no one either has the time, has a connection to that or it just isn't big enough as something like LORD OF THE RINGS.

I think reviewers are pressured to give the "popular" opinion, which is a real shame. I'm sure some of this can be pointed at the "internet crowd" but some of it has to go towards the editors, the writer and the owner of such a site.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

Unless you sugar coat a review, as many sites make you, then you're going to draw heat from "die hard" fans who are going to throw a fit no matter what you say.
I learned that a long, long time ago writing for a now defunct site. You'll never make everyone happy no matter what. So the best thing to do is call it like you see it, write intelligently and use plenty of examples from the film to back up your stance. And don't argue with them. Nod your head and silently say "I'm right, you're wrong." :D

Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

You can find a review of a Warner title at any website. It's harder to find a review of something from Synapse, Alpha or various other smaller labels. A lot of great releases are out there but they never get mentioned on bigger sites simply because no one either has the time, has a connection to that or it just isn't big enough as something like LORD OF THE RINGS.
Personally speaking, no matter where I've written in the last 10 years, I've tried to mix up the coverage. Some of the big movies, some smaller things. The problem a lot of sites (and publications) run into is people google search the major tites. No one's ever heard of certain titles. And if you haven't heard of them, you can't search for them...and visit the site. Visitors and clicks are what it's all about, in the end.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I think reviewers are pressured to give the "popular" opinion, which is a real shame. I'm sure some of this can be pointed at the "Internet crowd" but some of it has to go towards the editors, the writer and the owner of such a site.

While this may be a problem at other sites, our policy is to let the reviews call them as they see them. We may put pressure on to have a review done in a timely manner, but not on content. Kevin's recent review of Drag me to Hell (BD) is a good example of this. A sound engineer who worked on the film disagreed with his giving the sound 3 stars and tried to appeal the review to owners and moderators. Michael Reuben also had some issues with Hardware (BD) recently. The biggest underlying point of a review is for you to know if it's worth your time and money. If we pressure reviewers to gloss over problems and sugarcoat things that essentially makes them useless to you and does a disservice to our reviewers.

While there is still progress to be made, thanks to our reviewers we have done a better job over the last few months of getting lesser known titles reviewed. I am very happy with the group of reviewers we have now, and HTF is very fortunate to have them.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Wow, what a great old thread. Dare i say, i miss seeing posts from some of those guys. Not taking anything away from the guys who post, and review for the site now. Just noticed some old names.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott , which went up 2½ weeks ago: 1 reply, 211 views. Still not much attention compared to a major release. It's not just a matter of sites covering 'em. People should read 'em too -- especially people who complain that the sites only cover big stuff.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
SIN NOMBRE and NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD are on my to see lists but the sad thing keeps growing and growing. The lack of views or replies with films like these is sadly the decline of anyone wanting to see films like this. I love "art" but if I were a producer I wouldn't even try to make one as no one is going to see them or theaters aren't even showing them. It seems fans blame theater owners but theater owners blame fans. I personally just think quality means nothing to people anymore. I've got friends from all over the world and they seem to think that people overseas care for quality more but judging by some of the box office figures, it seems the entire genre is dying down.

I don't know how you feel about it Michael but I'm sure you've rolled your eyes at times wondering why more people weren't reading or looking at certain reviews. Hopefully you'll at least feel good if one person does read it, checks the movie out and it becomes one of their favorites. Hopefully reaching at least one person will have you continue to review them even though they might not hit 1000 replies.

Personally speaking, no matter where I've written in the last 10 years, I've tried to mix up the coverage. Some of the big movies, some smaller things.

You certainly have to do this or things will crash and burn quickly.

While this may be a problem at other sites, our policy is to let the reviews call them as they see them.

Yeah, I don't think anyone would go as far as to say this site would do that. My original post was aimed at a few horror sites that use to attack Ron's reviews of various (POS) horror films that he would give an honest opinion on only to get attacked by so-called die hard fans. It's always brave to put yourself up for people to take shots at but I'm glad Ron actually gave his real opinion and didn't sugar coat it or try to please those who were going to get upset no matter what. Willing to be honest will get you some heat but in the long run it will also get you respect, which I believe is why there was such disappointment when Ron did step down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks