1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bravo D1 resolution and Panasonic L300U projector

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Stephen Hopkins, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I have a Panasonic L300U on the way. I also have a Bravo D1 DVI DVD Player. I've been reading up on the custom resolutions and timings to get these two items to work properly together. The three timing/resolutions theyhave listed in the FAQ regarding the subject have resolutions of 856x480, 1072x600, and 1280x768. Can I use the native resolution of the projector (960x540)? If so, what would be the values of all the other timing and sync settings? Or should I just use one of the three listed by VINC? If so, which one?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Anyone have any insight?

3. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

Well, Stephen, I'm not the expert, but I have been looking at projector capabilities since I first bought my Sharpvision projector. Now, I'm wishing to get a HDTV projector. Anyway, I say that because I'm am very particular when it comes to reading the specs of the projectors out there. I have read the specs on the Panasonic, and I hate to tell you this, but this projector is not a HDTV projector. It is a widescreen 16:9 projector, if you have been reading about the specs for HDTV, the thing that makes it Hi-Def is the ability to produce 16 million colors, its aspect ratio of 1.78:1 (16:9) and a resolution of at least 1280x720 or 1024x720. I have to admit, I'm not 100% sure of which one it is, but it is definately one of those resolutions.

My best free advise to you is try to use the 1072 x 600 and see what happens. In a word experiment with the best video presentation in your collection and try all of the resolutions at your disposal. You may be suprised at what you see. My projector is a 4:3, but depending on what is showing, sometimes it looks like Hi-Def!!

The bottom line is this: the projector is only going to produce pictures with a resolutions of 960x540. But don't look at it on the negative side. Just enjoy the fact that you will be watching a big picture from a small projector, and it will still look like a movie theater is in your house.

Enjoy what you have!!

RF

4. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I understand Hi Def and that this is not a Hi Def projector and have no reservations about this, especially with the great reviews this projector has received and it's remarkable ability to give amazing PQ even on Hi Def sources.

I beleive I've found the answer to my question at AVS. It seems while the L300U is 960x540 native, the DVI input does not accept a 960x540 signal, and that the resolution that yields the best results is 768x1280 with specific timing and sync settings. The D1 wasn't initially at all compatible w/ the L300U but after a frimware upgrade and custom resolutions and timings published by VInc it now is and offers amazing PQ.

Thanks