Bravo D1 resolution and Panasonic L300U projector

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Stephen Hopkins, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I have a Panasonic L300U on the way. I also have a Bravo D1 DVI DVD Player. I've been reading up on the custom resolutions and timings to get these two items to work properly together. The three timing/resolutions theyhave listed in the FAQ regarding the subject have resolutions of 856x480, 1072x600, and 1280x768. Can I use the native resolution of the projector (960x540)? If so, what would be the values of all the other timing and sync settings? Or should I just use one of the three listed by VINC? If so, which one?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Anyone have any insight?

3. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

Well, Stephen, I'm not the expert, but I have been looking at projector capabilities since I first bought my Sharpvision projector. Now, I'm wishing to get a HDTV projector. Anyway, I say that because I'm am very particular when it comes to reading the specs of the projectors out there. I have read the specs on the Panasonic, and I hate to tell you this, but this projector is not a HDTV projector. It is a widescreen 16:9 projector, if you have been reading about the specs for HDTV, the thing that makes it Hi-Def is the ability to produce 16 million colors, its aspect ratio of 1.78:1 (16:9) and a resolution of at least 1280x720 or 1024x720. I have to admit, I'm not 100% sure of which one it is, but it is definately one of those resolutions.

My best free advise to you is try to use the 1072 x 600 and see what happens. In a word experiment with the best video presentation in your collection and try all of the resolutions at your disposal. You may be suprised at what you see. My projector is a 4:3, but depending on what is showing, sometimes it looks like Hi-Def!!

The bottom line is this: the projector is only going to produce pictures with a resolutions of 960x540. But don't look at it on the negative side. Just enjoy the fact that you will be watching a big picture from a small projector, and it will still look like a movie theater is in your house.

Enjoy what you have!!

RF

4. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I understand Hi Def and that this is not a Hi Def projector and have no reservations about this, especially with the great reviews this projector has received and it's remarkable ability to give amazing PQ even on Hi Def sources.

I beleive I've found the answer to my question at AVS. It seems while the L300U is 960x540 native, the DVI input does not accept a 960x540 signal, and that the resolution that yields the best results is 768x1280 with specific timing and sync settings. The D1 wasn't initially at all compatible w/ the L300U but after a frimware upgrade and custom resolutions and timings published by VInc it now is and offers amazing PQ.

Thanks