Braveheart Special Edition DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris*K, May 27, 2004.

1. Chris*K

Chris*K Auditioning

Hey all,

My first official post here at HTF [​IMG]

Is there any news of a Braveheart "Special Edition" DVD set for Region 1 (US)? I only ask because I just bought the single-disc DVD, but I haven't opened it yet. I'd return it if there was some news of a pending special edition. I'd hate to find out a month from now that a Special Edition with lots of extras has been released, and I opened the regular one. I would *love* to see a special DVD set for this movie.

I checked a bunch of DVD sites and they don't say anything. But when I looked on ebay, there were a couple of 2-disc special editions up there, from Australia and the UK. The funny thing is, it looks like it has the same stuff that's on the single-disc US version, just broken up over 2 discs.

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks,

ck

2. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The R2/4 versions have the same extras as the R1, with just the documentary put on to the second disc. There is no news of a SE, and I highly, highly doubt there will be another release of this film before HD-DVD. If you listen to Gibson's commentary, you'll probably realise why this isn't such a bad thing.

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Chris,

Welcome aboard!

You have found the best Home Theater site
    on the net.

Let us know if we can be of further help.

4. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

As Ron already said Welcome to HTF!

Your wallet will soon hate you! [​IMG]

5. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I second what Matt said.

Welcome to the forum, Chris. Remember to tip your waitress. I'll be here forever.[​IMG]

6. Chris*K

Chris*K Auditioning

Thanks for the replies!

I can now open my single-disc Braveheart with confidence.

My wallet already hates me (I'm a musician as well as a gadget freak). My fiancee's also on her way -- I told her I wanted a widescreen HDTV instead of china when we get a house (china just sits there -- at least the TV will get used!!). [​IMG]

ck

7. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

hey, I never got a personal welcome from Ron!

just jealously kidding, welcome to the HTF! [​IMG]

8. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

I haven't listened to the commentary, but am very curious. Why isn't this a bad thing?

9. Allan^L

Allan^L Stunt Coordinator

It's not a very good commentary. Long periods of silence and Gibson seems more interested in watching the movie rather than commenting on it. The a/v quality of the DVD isn't so hot either.

10. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

I beg to differ on the A/V quality. The audio was very well done, and sounded just as good as the original LD as far as I could remember. The picture is interesting: it looks good, but the color balance is different than the Laserdisc. To some, including even myself, the LD is prefered over the DVD, except for the absence of noise on the DVD of course. I'm not sure which is correct, does anyone know who saw this theatrically? I'd love to see some hour long documentary on the making of the film...now that'd just be sweet. And of course, DTS (c'mon Paramount, give in at least ONE more time!).

AJG

11. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Welcome to the Forum, Chris. Please let your finance know up front that you'll be spending lots of time here. Closing the gap between expectations and reality is an important step early on in the relationship. [​IMG]

Braveheart is hands down my favorite movie(note my signature). I wish a two disc SE were coming, but it probably wont be. I enjoyed Mel's commentary, but I'd like to see additional commentaries with other actors or historians, an extensive documentary, maybe the "History vs Holywood" show about Braveheart that I saw on the History Channel a while back, a remastered print, etc.

Peace,

DM

12. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

I still don't really understand. Does this just mean that his commentary sucks? Why wouldn't a new release be a good thing?

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I always thought this would get an SE directors cut. He talked about all the gore he had to cut from the battle scenes and the finale of Wallace in order to get a rating. This was at the time of theatrical release, and he always refered to it as great stuff (he actually came off as a total gore hound). He specifically said in some of those interviews that he'd like to put it out his way. I never heard anything since.

Despite loving the movie, I've never bought it in any format because of this hope for a directors cut.

Maybe with an apparent change in themes that his current work has evolved to (I'm not talking about The Passion specificlly, but most of his films that have come out in the past few years seem to deal with common themes of redemtion and one man making a difference, I hope that I don't kick start a discussion about the passion by making this generalization, because this isn't the thread for it, especially with me generalizing everything.), maybe he see's this extra stuff as gratuitous, or maybe he's happy with the current cut and has no intention of revisiting it (not a bad thing).

I guess it's time to bite the bullet and add this to my collection.

14. Chris*K

Chris*K Auditioning

That's exactly how I felt. I kept waiting for it, saying that they have to do a director's cut or SE for this. But I just caved and got it anyway.

ck

15. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Haven't seen it recently, but I recall the transfer being excellent. My beef was the somewhat dirty print used, but no EE that I can recall, and excellent detail (little low-pass filtering).

Cheers,

16. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    I agree with Allan^L, I find the picture quality lacking. I hope they come out with a remastered 2 disc SE.

17. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I heard the first cut of Braveheart came in at 6 hours. So I hope Mel does a SE one of these days with delted scenes or a longer special edition cut (probably not six hours since first cuts always have scenes you can trim down to improve the pacing).

18. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    Six hours?! [​IMG]

While Braveheart is a good movie, it definitely doesn't have enough plot elements or substance to fill six hours.

Although I would jump at a special edition with the first disc devoted to the film that Gibson wanted to release (DTS please, heck, they did it for the reissues of the Jack Ryan films), and a healthy amount of good, informative supplements on a second disc.

19. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I thought the dvd was cropped too tightly, losing much more info at the top and bottom than the ld did.

20. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

One word: Projector.