What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Brave 3D Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
TravisR said:
And it's just as likely that she was taking the movie down the wrong path and by changing directors, they salvaged what they could. Or more to the point, if they hadn't fired the one director, the movie could have ended up much worse.
Well, I don't think upping the comedic factor or changing the title to something as stupid as Brave makes the movie any better. If you want a comedy, Kung Fu Panda 2 was released pretty close to Brave.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ted Van Duyn said:
Well, I don't think upping the comedic factor or changing the title to something as stupid as Brave makes the movie any better. If you want a comedy, Kung Fu Panda 2 was released pretty close to Brave.
I wasn't there but I can make a pretty good guess that if they fired the director during production, there were more far more serious problems than not having enough comedy or wanting a title change.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Originally Posted by Greg_D_R /t/325021/brave-3d-blu-ray-review#post_4001546
It's not just the fact that those elements were there, it was how poorly they were executed. To me, the handling of "My Mom, the Bear" was totally ham-fisted, in that every gag was exactly what you would expect. Pixar is renowned for taking setups that seem conventional, in unexpected directions, and that didn't happen for me at all with Brave. Also, everything about the witch (tone, jokes, characterization) was straight out of the most mediocre releases from Dreamworks. Up and Wall-E are miles above Brave. Merida is a fine character, and the conflict between her and her mother was set up well. After that though...

Actually I didn't anticipate a lot of gags, such as the mom trying to keep up decorum with utensils and napkins out in the woods. everything about the witch was straight out of Studio Ghibli, not Dreamworks--and it was hardly out of a mediocre Ghibli release, rather it was straight out of Spirited Away. The entire movie is about the conflict between Merida and her mother and in terms of Merida's internal development was about her immaturity and selfishness (which feed into the conflict); the story doesn't resolve when Merida tries to be more feminine as her mother wished, the story resolves when Merida takes on personal responsibility and apologizes--it's actually rather fine storytelling, resolving internal conflicts like Merida's personal obstacles) as well as the external conflict between Merida and her Mother--which comes moments after resolving the other Macguffin conflict with the bear Mor'du (but even as a macguffin, it is well used and thematically parallel when considering Mor'du's backstory).

And regarding the slapstick, I found everything with the three brothers to be some of the best slapstick Pixar has ever put on film, brilliant comic timing and great animation with that trio.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We hope that some of you will be interested in browsing through some of the material located on the referenced page.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Finally was able to watch this film yesterday afternoon.

My opinion of the film changed dramatically from first to
second half.

Initially, I was in complete awe of the animation. I was
anticipating a story that would match the powerful visuals.
When Miranda meets the witch, I thought, "Wow, this is really
getting fun."

Instead, it's as if everything suddenly became disjointed.
A story about a strong-willed lass whose mother gets turned
into a bear? What were the writers thinking?

Something as fresh and daring as this film should not have
succumbed to a second-rate story.

It seems Pixar has lost their way with BRAVE. Certainly
not up to par with their other films.

The 3D was somewhat disappointing as well. Obviously
the animators wanted a more subtle effect, but at times
things seemed more 2D than 3D, with most of the effect
being lost in the darker scenes. Personally, I would have
opted for a little more depth, but who am I to challenge the
decisions of the animation team.

In all, not a bad film but certainly not anything I could say
was above average.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had Idea that was the story angle in this movie.
Never saw anything like tha t to hint to it in any of the previews.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
We hope that some of you will be interested in browsing through some of the material located on the referenced page.

I wish I would have had such a guide when I drove 30 miles out of the way to see Brave in Dolby Atmos. I did not notice any special sound effects in that showing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
By far the weakest Pixar film to date. Bought this blind and was disappointed.
The transfer was good but the film itself was so "blah" to the point of almost being annoying. Pretty much agree dead on with Mr Epstein.
Major letdown. :(

Writer-dad

Grip
Real Name
Daniel MacDonald
I enjoyed Brave more on second viewing than the first. The Blu-ray is top notch from picture and sound perspectives. I find the special features a bit lacking, though: specifically, I wish they had included a picture-in-picture commentary like the brilliantly comprehensive one on Up.

Those interested in the movie's development - and Pixar's process in general - will likely enjoy this excellent Time article: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2107515,00.html

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Tino said:
By far the weakest Pixar film to date. Bought this blind and was disappointed.
The transfer was good but the film itself was so "blah" to the point of almost being annoying. Pretty much agree dead on with Mr Epstein.
Major letdown. :(
I assume you have both seen CARS 2, right?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
I assume you have both seen CARS 2, right?

Ooof. Oh, yeah...thanks for reminding us.

I suppose Pixar had nowhere else to go but slowly upwards.

...at least there's another Monsters Inc. movie coming.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ronald Epstein said:
...at least there's another Monsters Inc. movie coming.
Yes, and it looks clever and funny, unlike the very mediocre CARS 2.
Anyone seen the trailer for the non-Pixar PLANES? The design of the eyes and animation all look to be modeled directly from the CARS films. Hope PLANES is a bit more involving.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Cars 2 is the only Pixar film I haven't seen yet and the 3d version has been sitting on my shelf for a while. I did enjoy Cars more than Brave though.
I had high expectations for Brave and that may have affected my assessment of it.
I'll rewatch it at some point after I watch Cars 2 to see if that takes the title of worst Pixar film to date for me.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And let me add that the "worst" Pixar films are still better than most other animated films out there. Perhaps "weakest"is the better word. :)

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I saw "Brave" on United Airlines on a small screen in the seat back in front of me in 2D. I too thought the story was weak. It started strong, with an independent young woman chafing against the role society wanted her to play. Then it devolved into a weak mother/daughter conflict story told in hyperbolic terms. I've enjoyed and bought all of Pixar's products (except Cars 2), but I'll pass on this one.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Dick said:
Yes, and it looks clever and funny, unlike the very mediocre CARS 2.
Anyone seen the trailer for the non-Pixar PLANES? The design of the eyes and animation all look to be modeled directly from the CARS films. Hope PLANES is a bit more involving.
I think the trailer even says that says the story takes place in the cars world.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/325021/brave-3d-blu-ray-review/30#post_4009664
I think the trailer even says that says the story takes place in the cars world.
Actually it takes place above the Cars world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks