Braun Ultra Plaque Remover

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Gale, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

My fancy electric toothbrush has DIED!

These things are not cheap, neither are the replacement brushes. I found out in the fine print just after I bought it that the battery pack is NOT replacable, so, it's landfill now.

What's new and wonderful in this technology?

Should I just go back to a twig with a frayed end?

Jim

2. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Three different hygenists from 2 different practices have told me that Sonicare is where it's at.

It also is expensive with expensive refills.

It seems to work well, it helps remove stains and is supposedly good for the gums.

It tickles like mad the first couple of times, but I got over that very quickly. Didn't even notice it after a couple weeks.

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I think the Brauns are great -- the only bad thing is the NiCad batteries with the dreaded "memory" effect.

4. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

I got a Sonicare a year ago, and it is awesome. After using it, your mouth feels like you just went to the Dentist (i.e. very clean!). I got it off Ebay, and I buy my replacement brushes at Sam's Club. I would definitely recommend it.

It's also cool because it paces your brushing with a 2 minute timer that beeps ever 30 seconds. This way, you know you are spending enough time on each area of your mouth.

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Jim_F and Marty,

Thanks, I picked one up this afternoon.

Jim

6. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Thanks also for the recommendations. I'm going to finally pick up one of the Sonicare models. My Conair Interplaq is dying fast(battery issues), but the $100 price tag of the sonic care made me suspicious of a rip off with the "sonic wave" tech. It seems every site I checked that people seem to love their sonicare brushes.

7. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Sonicare works real well, shop around, I am sure you can do quite a bit better than $100.

8. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I actually found for $109 a deal including 2 battery units, 3 replacement heads, 1 charger, and 2 travel cases. Should last a while.

9. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

oddly enough, i just picked up a cheap Oral-B brush this morning.
    it was only $30Canadian but my teeth feel cleaner already [​IMG]

10. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Where can you get the Sonicare? I've never seen them in stores.

Mark, which Oral B did you pick up?

I'm using an Oral B cross action myself. Great nonelectric brush.

My dentist always gives out the cheap stuff, but they have his name on them.

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have one of those cheap $20 battery powered ActiBrush from Colgate... Its getting a build up of like this really nasty blackish/greenish/brown stuff inside the brush's stalk and in the handle (inside the place where the toothbrush plugs into)... is this stuff dangerous? or simply really nasty looking?

12. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

The Sonicare is nothing short of miraculous. My dentist started selling me on it about two years ago and I picked on up shortly after. The result is a very bored dental hygenist when I show up for my checkup every six months because she was almost nothing to clean. The ultrasonic action works much better than mechanical brushes, and best of all, it is extremely gentle on your gums. I hear they are recommended for people with gum disease. They're a bit more expensive than other brushes, but well worth it.

Paul, I frequently see them in the housewares/home electronics sections of department stores like Macy's. We got ours at Costco and it seems to be the same deal that Joseph got. If you are married or live with someone, it's a great deal because you get two brushes. Costco also has the best deal on replacement heads (2 for $18).

13. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I think the Sonicare people should come here and lift this whole thread as unbias user testamonies [​IMG] .
    I echo what Dan said, my hygenist is overpaid when it comes to me. I've been using Sonicare for over 5 years, the first one I got was $149, for the most basic one brush model and it lasted about 3.5 years. BTW, in case you are wondering why I spent such big bucks, I had braces on and needed all the help I can get.

14. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Thanks Dan.

Is there a website? sounds like there's different models.

15. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Sorry Paul, I have no idea what model is it and i totally destroyed the packaging getting the damn thing opened (who'da thought i'd be that excited to brush my teeth[​IMG])
    Just go to a london drugs or canadian tire and it's the cheapest oral b brush they'd have.
    the battery isn't changeable or anything but at 30bucks i wouldn't expect too much.
    my teeth are noticeably cleaner than they were last week i can tell you that much