What's new

Brass Eye is coming to DVD! (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
For all you UK viewers, a DVD menu has just been passed at the BBFC, confirming rumours that the series was up for a DVD release. Direct link
VCI are the culprits responsible, and hopefully all seven episodes of the series will be on the disc. The fact that menus are "Widescreen" pretty much confirms the Paedophile Special will be in the correct 16:9 ratio (as far as I am aware, everything else should be 4:3).
As for extras, these are rumours that have sprung up in more than one place.
Apparently a few weeks back members of the public were brought along to form a focus group. They were shown the Brass Eye paedophile special and asked to comment on it. Cue expected 'disgusting', etc, and some even stormed out. Turns out it was all run by Chris Morris pretending to be Nicky Campbell.
Later on a genuine group of homeless people, including alcoholics and drug addicts, were rounded up, fed lots of Special Brew and commented on the drugs and paedophile episodes. They were asked also to pretend to be the Brass Eye production crew who were now homeless following the scandal.
At long bloody last!
"The twisted brain-wrong of a one-off man mental." :D

Ian Such

Stunt Coordinator
Great news - this means that I'll now have to get a multi-region player (only got R1 at the moment).

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
The R2 Project reports that VCi will release this on 6 May. The disc contains the complete series plus the 2001 Special. Extras include trailers and a commentary for the Drugs episode. Chris Morris has apparently been heavily involved in the creation of the DVD.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I posted this in the other thread;

BBFC have now rated the Brass Eye episodes themselves. 'Crime,' 'Science,' 'Decline,' & 'Animals' have all be rated 15, whilst 'Sex' 'Drugs' and the '2001 Special' have been rated 18.

All have been passed uncut.

A further search at the BBFC's website on 'Brass Eye' reveals BRASS EYE - EXTRA FOOTAGE FOR DVD. A total of 4mins and 10 seconds worth of footage which it lists as being inserted into numerous episodes:

00:00:13:15 | SPECIAL 10

00:00:25:22 | SPECIAL 24

00:00:31:18 | SCIENCE 30

00:01:22:08 | EXTENDED ELEPHANT

00:01:36:12 | HIPPO INTERVIEW

Dan

That's great it's due as soon as May 6th.

Jay, Brass Eye was a highly controverisal spoof current affairs show tackling issues in a dark, but deeply humerous light. "Famous" Z list celebrities were conned into participating in various episodes of the show, which puts a dangerously realistic spin on how the media exploits such common issues.

Dan

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Although I've not seen the show, threads like this have made me want to give this show a go! Like Brian, I'm in the US, so I tend to order a lot of my UK discs from BensonsWorld. However, even tho Brass Eye apparently streets next week, Bensons doesn't have it up for pre-order. I emailed them to ask about stocking BE, but have not heard back so far.

Bleddyn

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Although I've not seen the show, threads like this have made me want to give this show a go!
If you like cutting edge, razor sharp satire, you should enjoy it. A good number of the jokes may go over your head if you're not aware of British minor TV celebrities like Noel Edmonds or Claire Raynor.

Can't wait to see it again, it's years since I saw most of it.

Let us know how you get on Bleddyn. I may end up just ordering from BlackStar & get Father Ted series 3 while I'm at it (due out May 13th).

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
If you like cutting edge, razor sharp satire, you should enjoy it. A good number of the jokes may go over your head if you're not aware of British minor TV celebrities like Noel Edmonds or Claire Raynor.
I didn't mention it before - but I am British! I'm from South Wales, but have been living in Boston since 1988. So I should be okay with it! ;)
To place my comic taste - I'm more a League of Gentlemen type than a Father Ted, although I do enjoy both.
I heard from Bensons - they should have it up on their site later today. For us US residents they usually are a cheaper option than folks like Blackstar, and I've had good experiences with them.
Bleddyn

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Play.com (http://www.play.com/) have had it advertised for some time now.
I've got it on order. IMHO it's not as good as The Day today (an earlier series parodying news programmes by the same authors) but it's v. good, and at long last I'll get to see the paedophilia episode (my machine failed to record it when it was broadcast).
Just to explain the last comment - the paedophilia episode created an uproar in Britain, to the extent that questions were raised in Parliament about it. The programme doesn't of course contain any paedophilia, but instead parodies the over the top hysteria about 'paedophiles in our midst' which gripped the British media and public imagination a couple of years ago. [To give you one example - a group of vigilante Brits firebombed a house because they thought a paedophile was living there. The person living there was a *paediatrician* and utterly innocent of any crime].

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
They really do need to get The Day Today on DVD. BBC2 are repeating the show in a few weeks, maybe they're looking to the viewing figures on that before making a descision. I agree with Andrew that, of the two, The Day Today remains my preference, it has a higher repeat value. "PETER YOU'VE LOST THE NEWSSS!"

the paedophilia episode created an uproar in Britain, to the extent that questions were raised in Parliament about it.
The 'Drugs' episode raised discussion amongst politicians too, though not the episode itself, but rather the fictional drug 'cake'

Dan

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I checked on Link Removed and according to them, the only R2 retailer who claims to ship worldwide who is advertising Brass Eye for sale is Link Removed

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
They're wrong, Andrew :) DVDStreet & Blackstar both are selling Brass Eye (and ship internationally).

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Brass Eye from Bensons is now up for 15.99 all in. Black Star and DVDstreet are more expensive and you have to add postage.

Bleddyn

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I just placed my order! Are there any reviews floating around yet?
Dan, I also ordered Spaced seasons 1 & 2. :)
Gregory

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks