Brand of Surround Speakers I should research into? $1,000 maximum spending..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edmund Chiu, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Edmund Chiu

Edmund Chiu Auditioning

I am just starting my HT research right now. After reading the postings from the forum, I am currently leaning towards purchasing a velodyne or a SVS as the subwoofer. I want to get people's advice on which brands of surrounds (for right/left front, front center and right/left rear, and rear center) I should look into. I can't get tower type speakers because of the space available. I can only get bookshelf type or satelight types speakers. Any type of suggestions would help me greatly. Also where do most people get deals from? any particular online store?

2. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Well, I'm just going to give general advice. Speakers are probably the most subjective part of the HT experience. You really need to listen to whatever you are going to buy first. For example, there are a lot of Paradigm fans here on this forum, but personally after listening to them, I didn't care for them one bit. Although there are some online only speakers that people like (Nohr, Divas), I would recommend only buying something you have had a chance to listen to. Without knowing your location, this could prove easier or harder. The way I did this was by finding a couple of brands I was interested in, and going to their webpages to find their dealer locations. For $1k on speakers not including subwoofer, you should be able to get some good speakers. My personal recommendation would be the KEF Q series, since that is what I have and am most familiar with. You should probably also go listen to PSB, Paradigm, Klipsch, Boston Acoustics, and plenty of other brands. Just find some stores, bring some cds, and listen to everything each store has. I recommend CDs for speaker demoing and not dvds, since my general philosophy is that if it sounds good for music, it'll sound fine for HT. Bring varying stuff you are familiar with and pick the speaker that sounds like what you think your music should sound like. I would suggest to not worry too much about bass from your speakers since you are getting an SVS. Depending on the way you see it, it may be best to demo without a subwoofer.

3. Anny Chien

Anny Chien Agent