What's new

Brand new to home theater (1 Viewer)

Mark Riley

Agent
Hi, I just signed up for this board yesterday and I'm totally new to this so please excuse my ignorance. I'm only a poor college student so I'm trying to build a nice low end home theater in my fixed up cellar.

I have an old 27 inch TV hooked up with only Coaxial(I know, yuck) but I hooked a VCR to that and that is going to my Sony STR-DE597 receiver as well as KLH 9250B front speakers, a Dreamcast, and an old Fisher Record player/dual tape deck.

I'm slowly trying to build up without replacing stuff yet. Since I only have the 2 front speakers, I figure I'd want to get a subwoofer next. I have no idea what kind or what to spend on one though. I guess I'd want something about the same quality as the 9250B's because if one is better than the other, things wouldn't sound right(too much bass or not enough) right?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mark, since you're asking for subwoofer help I've moved your post to here, in Speakers/Subs. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level strictly. For advice on what to purchase or for other input, please post in the appropriate hardware-related area. Thank you.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome
Since you only have the fronts at this point, I might suggest that you get a center and surrounds first. Then you can add a subwoofer. This way, you will have a much better home theater experience. The only thing missing will be the bass. You also did not say if you had a DVD player. That is a must. I think that a full set up minus a sub will be fine for now. You will be impressed with all of the movement around your room. Now, for possibilities, I would look at Definitive Technology, Plasma Docs look like they have some good stuff at a decent price. They both have speakers that are pretty reasonable. It will sound a little different, but it should still work fine. And besides, if you decide to upgrade your fronts, you will have a fine set up.

My very first setup was 10 year old pioneer stereo speakers and deftech center and polk surrounds with a deftech sub and a yamaha reciever. There was not that much of a problem with my center and Pioneer front speakers.
Good luck

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

I'll second Mike's assessment that the CC and surrounds should be your first step. As far as a budget goes, only you can make that judgement. It should be possible to set up all 3 speakers for less than $300. I can feel your pain, about 6 years ago, I was in your shoes trying to piece together a system on a college budget.

Do you have any spare speakers at all lying around... something from a "boom box" even? If you do then you could use them for the back and just get a CC as your first step. The best thing to do would be to buy your system one piece at a time to maximize your bang for the buck.

Mark Riley

Agent
I'm thinking that going for the other speakers is a good idea. I actually don't have a DVD player right now. The only one in the house now is an Emerson DVD Recorder/VCR but the only thing for my cellar is the VCR unless you count the PS2 I could put down there that plays DVDs. The most important things right now are music and sports, then movies so I want my sound based off of that. The way my room is set up, it fails all the big tests(open room, wide but not deep, concrete floor) but I'm not a huge audiophile yet.

Would a center speaker be the best thing to start off with? If so, I want something to supplement those 9250B floor speakers nicely. I'm not big on online shopping; I'd rather be able to test them out. Hopefully 100 bucks is enough for a decent center speaker since I still have to get the rears, a subwoofer, a DVD Player, and my dream, a megachanger for CD, SACD, and DVD-A if that exists.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I would say that the center channel is a good choice. It will help tie what is going on the screen allot. About 75% of all the action and voices come from the center speaker. As far as your PS2, I am not that familiar with it. Unless it can output Dolby Digital and DTS you will be missing out on allot of the experience. If money is an issue, I am sure there are DVD players in the 40-50$ range that you could look into. Places like Best Buy and Circuit City should have some. Sam's club or Walmat as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks