Brand New System Percentages

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Rob Vi, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Rob Vi

Rob Vi Auditioning

Does anyone know of a resource/location for a list of 'typical' price percentages for someone buying a brand new system from scratch?

The system will include receiver, HDTV, DVD, speakers, cables. I found on this board a list for just sound; the traditional 60/30/10% for speakers, electronics, cables.

I know one of the magazines covered this topic during the last few years but I've been unable to find that issue (in the stack or on-line.

Rob V

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Your 60/30/10 is great if you're only buying audio components. I think I would change it though when you through a TV into the mix. If you included a TV, avr, dvd player all in the 30 you'd have to buy some really sweet speakers to make up the 60. I think I would drop it down to 40/50/10 or something like that once you include the TV. But you've got the right idea: the speakers are the most important part of the audio side of things and you'd be doing the smart thing to go ahead and spend some bucks there.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

This is true ... but it's more important for a music-based system than a HT system.

Here is something to consider when looking at speakers for music vs home theater:

Music is about accuracy, home theater is about impact

You can get away with much less accurate/expensive speakers for a HT system than for a music system. We have constantly been suprised at how $500 Home Theater in a Box systems give a great experience. The speakers are inexpensive, pressed-wood unit, but when properly placed and adjusted - sound great for movies.

These systems dont work as well for critical music. Music is a greater challenge for speakers than the six-to-one compressed dolby digital movie sound tracks.

If you are setting up a HT system my advice would be:

- Find six identical monitor-style speakers. Go for name brands, but the lower-priced units.

- Buy a good subwoofer for the impact (Hint: SVS)

- Buy a mid-level HT reciever like a Dennon, Yamaha, perhaps even a Kenwood

- Sink the rest of the money into the display and a DVD player.

Oh, and cables: spend no more than 10% of your television cost on the cables. This will keep you from over-spending. The custom-cable sites are your best value for good component video cables.

Hope this helps.

4. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

I saw an article about this subject exactly. I can't remember which issue of Home Theater Magazine it was in, but a quick search of their web site brought up this in the archives.
    From the Web site:
    A Well-Balanced Deal
    It's great to find a bargain, but balancing the needs of your budget and your system is the key to building a great home theater.

Look for the Nov. 2003 issue. The article I remember dealt with the percentage of your budget to spend on each area of your HT. It was even broken down into 3 different budget areas: low, mid and high end. The theory being that the percentages would change depending on how much you were able to spend

5. Jason D.

Jason D. Agent

If it helps any...here's what I have/will have:

Speakers: MSRP / What I paid or plan to pay(*)
    Mains Def's 2000tl's -- $2999 / $1900
    Center Def's CLR2000 -- $650 / $400 *
    Sides & Rear's PM100's - $700 / $600
    Sub Def's PF1500tl --- $1799 / $900

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVM20 --- $3499 / $2400 *
    Amp: Outlaw 770 --- $1799 / $1799 *
    Projector: BenQ 8700 --- $5999 / $4000 *
    Screen: Carada --- $600 / 600 *

Power Conditioner:
    Monster HTS3600 --- $499 / $350 *
    Cables & Connectors --- $150 / $150
    ^^Home Depot & Radio Shack

So basically I spent/will spend my budget as follows:
    Speakers: $6148 / $3800 33%/29%
    Electronics: $5298 / $4199 28%/32%
    Video: $6599 / $4600 35%/35
    Cables/Other $549 / $500 3%/4%

Never did this exercise before....pretty even spread huh?

6. Rob Vi

Rob Vi Auditioning

Thanks to all

Rob V

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

"Music is about accuracy, home theater is about impact"

I don't agree with this statement at all, however the following explanation I do agree with. I think it's more that with HT, you can get away with less accurate speakers and have a very pleasing experience. There is less "reality" and natural sound in movie sountracks, and while both systems should strive for the same accuracy, I think it's more that you can fudge more with HT and have a wonderful time than you can with music. I wouldn't say that they are *different* goals.

8. Chris Bplayer

Chris Bplayer Auditioning

I am in the planning process for my new condo. Current percentage split is:

Speakers: C$2300 18%
    Electronics: C$2300 18% (incl A/V, DVD, URC)
    Video: C$6900 54%
    Cables/Other $1200 10%

This is a do-it-yourself installation. Custom installation would increase the $$ and could change the percentages, eg. ISF calibration and HAA audio. Custom touch panel control would cost an arm and a leg.