What's new

Brand new meet thread - Austin (1 Viewer)

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys,
I'm still alive, just been busy and stuff. I want ya'll to know that I am always up for hosting a meet if you like, preferably on weekends though due to our work schedule. Ya'll are more than welcome to use my HT for a comparison or whatever, I'm game. I haven't talked to some of you in a while though I did run into Dave Elliott on a Evo forum!!

OK man, I gotta know; what happened to that dude Jacob?? Fill me in as obviously I missed some good stuff! Scott, is the meet still on for the TV dude?? Anyway, just wanted to say hello and let you guys know that we are still alive and well. Seems once you get your HT built you kind of fade away a little bit(in forums that is). Take care!!!!
John & Dana Prator

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Is there still interest in a meet? Are we on track to do a projector shoot-out, or should we plan something else?

Also, with the number of schedule conflicts for June 25, I was thinking of rescheduling for July 9 or 16.

Will July 9 or 16 work for everyone? (Either day works for me.)

James Phung

Second Unit
I'll be up for a projector shootout or something else. I have a feeling I'll be working in the weekends to come and I don't find out until the end of the week (yes, just like Office Space) but I'm gonna try to make whichever date you guys set.

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
What schedule condlicts? I thought it was on for the 25th. Whatever, I'm planning on being there if it ever happens...

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
It appears that there will never be a good day for all to attend. Someone will have to miss. That said, unless there are a bunch of other people besides myself that will be missing this Saturday, I say go ahead and meet on that date.

Another option would be to meet on a Friday evening. The meeting would probably not last as long but you may get a better turnout. Just a thought.

Jay.H

Stunt Coordinator
Frederick has a good point.

For most events, it is best to set a date and barring extenuating circumstances, stick with it. Juggling dates and postponing can often cause people to lose interest and just changes who can and cannot attend.

Set the date and those who can will attend.

I still like the 25th, but will try to be there whenever the meet is scheduled.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Judging from the lack of activity on this thread the last two weeks, I didn't think we had sufficient interest and commitment for the meet to go ahead on June 25. Seeing that things really hadn't come together, my plans have changed for this coming weekend, and I cannot host a meet on June 25 anymore.

I don't like juggling schedules unnecessarily, but I just didn't have the comfort level that everything had come together for a meet. There was some interest in a projector shootout, but we never really established a projector line-up for the test.

Given that Jonathan Atkins can't make July 9 or 16, and we need more time to make preparations for a meet, I propose that the new meet be on Saturday, July 23. I won't be rescheduling the date of this meet again, so please let me know if you can make the July 23 date.

Based on who is available to attend that weekend, we should then decide a meet topic of interest to the attendees...

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately I will be in Seattle (and enjoying a respite from the heat) and will have to miss it. :frowning:

I agree with those suggesting setting a firm date well in advance and getting people who are interested committed to that date and to agree on a topic(s).

Once the topics are agreed upon, those involved should discuss in advance on what kind of planning, schedule and set-up will be required.

If the next meet is going to be a projector shoot-out, here are some important issues that need to be agreed on:
  • list of equipment (projectors, cables, DVD players, HTCP, consoles, HD receivers, screens, etc) that will be available and who will be providing them
  • plan for how the equipment will be set-up & calibrated
  • video source material (DVD, PC, Console, SAT/CBL/OTA HD, etc) for comparison purposes

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I've been away from the forum for a while, so I had no idea there was a meet planned for today. I have a suggestion: please don't let this forum thread be the only means of communication - most of us are friends, after all. If someone had picked up a phone and called me, I would have planned to attend today. Maybe we should make of list of cell phone numbers for those of us who know each other well enough to share.

That said, I also agree with setting a date and sticking with it, although setting it too far out is as bad as setting it to soon. I consider Nils to be our projector pro and would really want to do a projector meet when he's available. If the date is July 23, how about making the topic a pre/pro shootout or an acoustic room treatment event (either DIY building treatments or installing treatments built before the meet and doing some before and after listening/measuring)?

James Phung

Second Unit
I've got a business trip scheduled the week of July 23. I'm not sure if I'll be back in time for the next meet. I'm more interested in a projector shootout as I am more interested in video, my audio set up is less than spectacular and living in an apartment limits me a little bit in that department.

Hank,
How was INFOCOMM? Did you by any chance see the DNP SuperNova Black Screen that rejects ambient and sun light?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi James. I had several important meetings to attend and we showed some product prototype in our hotel suite (got great reactions), so I had about 2 hours total to walk the show floor:frowning: - very disappointing. So, I didn't see that screen.

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Well, in lieu of an HT meet this month.... Just a reminder, I'm having a pool party and drive for a bunch of my car fanatic friends. Of course, that includes a lot of HT fans as well. In fact, I have empirical evidence that the HT gene and CAR gene are symbiotic ;-)

It'll be this Saturday 7/2/05. The drive will start from the Oasis overflow lot around 3pm and we'll be at my place by 5:30ish. Maps will be provided so you can take the drive at your own pace.

I have two HT's setup now. One is a LG HDTV plasma in the living room with a Wharfedale/SVS 5.1 setup. I also have a small but very nice dedicated HT setup for movies. Its got a BenQ 8700+ HD projector, Pinnacle speakers, berkline seating, and tons of other stuff. Its not completely finished as I haven't done the DIY sound treatments yet, but its pretty nice as is...

Anyways, let me know if you interested in joining us either for the drive or afterwards. Email me at delliott00 (at) yahoo (dot) com. I'll email you the directions and details. I know Hank mentioned he was interested (Hank, email me so I can send you the info). John Prator and Hugh should be there. Anyone else? Nils?

We'll have time to run some movie clips and also play GT4 in HD, foosball/pinball in the game room, jump in the pool, etc. Bring a beverage or side if you like, plus a swimsuit and towel. BBQ from Smokey Mo's will be provided, so RSVP so I can order enough grub.

Its hot. The pool is wonderful when its 98 out.

-Dave

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, nice hearing from all of you!:frowning:

Dave,
As you know Dana and I will be there as well as another friend in his Evo also. Could you please email me directions to the meeting place? See ya Saturday!!
John

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I sent you another invite with a link to directions and a map. Check your junk mail folder perhaps? It was sent yesterday.

Oasis is easy to find. From the center of town head out 2222 to 620 and turn left on 620. About ~1 mile west of 2222/620 is Comanche Trail. Turn right (heading north) onto Comanche trail. You'll see the Oasis parking lot on the right.... its a huge lot thats partially paved. We'll be in the back gathering everyone together. Look for the Lotus and a couple other Evos / Audis / Porsches etc.

-Dave

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Comparing upscaling players might be worthy of a meet, even if it isn't a large scale gathering.

There are a few people in our group that have recently bought some of the new upconverting DVD players. I saw in another thread that Ian had recently bought the Toshiba SD-5980 and I know Ken has the new Oppo.

Just food for thought.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dave. I can't make it because we (the Austin Symphonic Band) will be playing at the Bastrop patriotic festival Saturday evening.:frowning:
Actually, I'm going to have tired lips after the 4th. We're playing at City Hall Friday at noon, then the Bastrop celebration Saturday evening, I'm playing all 3 services at church Sunday morning, and then the ASB is playing at the annual Round Rock 4th of July celebration at Old Settlers' Park Monday evening. I'll miss seeing your hot car(s). Maybe I'll show up at the Oasis just to check out the cars.

ReneZam

Stunt Coordinator
How’s everyone doing id like to throw out as well that I will be having my annual kegger at my house on Saturday the 13th of August to celebrate my 30th birthday id like to get a feel of how many of you would like to come. John I wonder if it would be ok if wife and I could stop by your place sometime to look at the theater again I’m still working on mine and wanted to see how you did yours to get a few ideas

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
Rene,
If you were asking me then sure, your welcome to stop by and check it out. We are usually home on the weekends.

Dave,
Had a blast on the drive! Love the Elise, what a fine car! I tell ya, man ya gotta love those Darn Evo's! What a car, I knew they were quick thru the twisties but you I guess I just had to experience it for myself to see just how competent they really are. Shoot, on the way there I put it on a $100K Mercedes and on the way home put it on a $70K BMW!!!:emoji_thumbsup: Not to shabby for a little ole $28K four door four banger! Before you do anymore mods you must drive my car. Talk to you soon.
John

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
Dave definitely picked some of the tightest twistiest roads around Austin. It made for a... spirited drive. The Elise looks great, handles superbly. Thanks for the ride, just too bad I'm way too big for a car like it. The test ride was like riding on rails. I can see why it rivals cars like the 911 at a fraction of the cost. Whatever you hear or read just doesn't do it justice until you plant your butt in one.

The shindig was great, thanks for having us over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks