What's new

Brand new JVC tv problem please help ASAP. (1 Viewer)

Bobby Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a new jvc tv and I noticed a big problem. The left sides top and bottom have dark spots. And when watching a white screen seem to have a turqois green tint to it. I would take it back but it was the last tv due to it was a close out item. I spotted on a very high shelf. It was last years model.
I presume this is a problem a deguasser could fix easily, but I should have to use one should I? I thought newer tvs have them built it? And when you turn your tv off and on it would clear it up? Am I wrong? If so how do I got about fixing this? Any help would be appeciated.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Try turnning the set "On" & "Off" a few times because sometimes that will clear up the problem as the deguasser kicks in everytime the set is turned "On" Also if you have any speakers near the set move them father away they may be cauising the problem. Also what is the size & model number of your JVC? You might also want to try just moving the set to see if the earth's magnetic field is causing it in the position that you have the set in your home.

Gary SI

Stunt Coordinator
Cheap invar shadow mask.
What is happening is that under "high white" conditions it is "bending" the shadow mask ( bright white= hot enough to bend the tin mask) and when it changes scenes you will notice that it goes away , after a few minutes.
Nothing really wrong , but if to just bought it you may want to consider taking it back for something more stable. ie) Panasonic (even the new ones) or a Sony.
Best of luck ,
Gary

Bobby Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
Bill was right all I needed to do was reset it a few times. Cleared it right up.

Gary dont know if you were making stuff up or not but whatever you said was not the problem. And yes I could see discoloration even on the plain blue screen.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Bobby, Just wondering what's the size & model number on your JVC? & I'm glad I could help you out. ;)

Gary SI

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Bobby,
Nope not "making stuff up" !!
I had a "Fisher" TV once and it did the same thing.
Turning the tv off and then back on will cure the problem until the next time.
I just lived with it because it didn`t happen all that often.
But I truly think that is whats going on.
I may be wrong , but the way that you discribed it , sure sounds like a problem that I have run across in the past.
Did not mean to suggest that your set or that JVC is not a good brand , only that others use different metals in the production of there invar shadow mask or apiture grill.
Sorry , no hard feelings ?
O-BTW I have even owned a few JVC products and bought my folks a JVC combo player last "X-Mas"
Gary ;)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Gary, For what it's worth just thought I'd pass on that Panasonic owns JVC & both Panasonic & JVC are built in the same plant in Mexico & I'll bet they both have the same tubes in them. Bobby if the problem does crop up again or your concerned about it you can always exchange the set for a new one & unlike a lot of other brands, Like Panasonic & Sony, JVC's warranty runs for one year not 90 days. Gary could also be right if the tube wasn't manufactured right or the set was droped hard enough to losen the shadow mask. So keep an eye out for the problem & make sure you have nothing around it that has magnets in it like Speakers. I've also seen sets that had the same problem from being just shipped or setting in a warehouse too close to other electronics that had magnets in them & it would take the sets internal deguaser forever to clean up the "Smudge" by just turning the set "On" & "Off" for tv viewing.

Bobby Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
AV-32432 is the model number. Since this model is at least a year old, I belive the storage is what caused the corners to turn green. I mean the tv had to have been stacked ontop of tvs and sides of tvs with some of the speaker maganization coming through the box. I'm glad it fixed it because I sure wasn't taking it back.

Gary I dont think theres anything wrong with jvc. My parents have one 10 years old and havent had a problem with it. We also have another one which is going on a year without a problem. Panasonic is NOT a good brand. They give you HORRIBLE service. I owned a 56' tv last summer and it broke after only 6 months and they basically refused to fix it. I do like the picture tube on their models since they are really dark but I will never buy another panasonic ever. Sony does have nice tvs but they are over priced and in my opinion just not worth it. We have owned 2 32 inch trinitrons the first one lasted around 8 years then turned green, the second lasted around 8 years and wouldn't come on any longer. Sure 8 years is a long time but I think tvs should last 10-15 years. When I worked for bestbuy about a year ago sony and rca were the 2 top returns. The sonys had problems with the sides mixing the colors correctly. So I find it strange you were recommending it. The rcas seemed to have a very large hissing sound and alot of them wouldnt turn on after a month or so. It would just tick tick tick and hiss. Quite strange.

StephenHa

Second Unit
panasonic and jvc are both the same company, and both have the same warranty (they also have the highest level of reliability right now)we always had a great time with service from panasonic (but it does have to be bought from an authorized dealer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Just to try to clear things up a bit--

Magnetically induced discoloration will be present at all times and usually visible regardless of the scene color. Most sets larger than 13 or 19 inches have self-degaussing which may require you to turn the set off for a period of time or even unplug for a while to activate and this will cure the problem. I got this on a Sony XBR set when I accidentally let the back of a subwoofer get too close to the set while placing the speaker. Unplugged the set for 10 minutes and restarted it--problem completely gone.

The issue Gary's talking about is different. This is a discoloration that usually only shows up when the screen is very bright, as in white backgrouds and such. It usually doesn't show up immediately when the scene turns to white but takes a few seconds to appear. It won't be evident in medium or low brightness scenes.

This is in fact caused by the shadow mask getting hot and bending. The shadow mask is a metal screen behind the phosphor screen with tiny holes to direct the electron beam in the crt so it hits the appropriate color phosphors exactly. In high brightness scenarios the beam is very strong and causes the mask to bend a bit and deflect the beam so it no longer hits the phosphors precisely on center, thus the discoloration. It takes a bit of time for the bending to occur as the mask heats up so the discoloration doesn't show up right away in bright scenes.

Contrary to Gary's post, however, Invar masks are made of a different metal that is supposed to not bend with the heat. Many cheaper sets and in the past some expensive ones don't have Invar masks, but the Invar mask was devised to prevent this problem and it works. I had a 27" Mitsubishi back in the early 90s that had this problem. I'd paid $700 for it (in those days that was a normal price for a good 27" set) and it was an upsize from a 25" Sony which had never had this problem.

Having never seen this problem before I had it professionall deguassed and even returned it for another sample of the same model to no avail. I finally ponied up another $100 and got another Sony, problem solved.

Sony sets don't exhibit this mask bending discoloration because they don't use shadow masks. Instead they use a very find wire grid.

My dad has the cheapest 32" JVC made, purchased a couple of years ago. It does not have the shadow mask bending problem and in fact has a very nice picture indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks