brand new here...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Zawacki, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Mike Zawacki

Mike Zawacki Auditioning

hello all...

Just found this website and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I don't have a clue about home theaters, but I am looking to put together a decent system in my home. Basically, it's about a 15' x 20' room.

I've got about $3000 allotted for this project, with about $2000 going for the tv. With the remaining $1000, I'm looking for a good dvd/receiver/speaker combo. I can tell from reading these posts that most here do not think very highly of HT in a box, but do I have any other options at my budget?

Two HTIB's im considering are: Kenwood HTB705 / Onkyo HTS650. Any impressions good or bad about these? Any other recomendations in the price range.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. Jay Reddy

Jay Reddy Auditioning

If you're thinking Onkyo already--give the HT755 from Onkyo a look. Cost $1000, though you might find it for less online. It's got a slightly better receiver than the 650, comes with a progressive-scan DVD player, and an extra center channel for a 6.1 setup.

Good luck.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Mike. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    Most of us are not fond of the all-in-one type of HTB. You know, the one where the DVD player, Receiver are built together. And the speakers are little plastic box's that match.
    But some of the HTB's are actually separate components bundled in the same carton. These make it really nice because you can slowly upgrade parts as your need & funds increase.
    These are great in fact for starter systems.
    One of our members went to his in-laws where they showed him their new $499 HTB and asked him to install it. Bravely, he un-packed it, setup the speakers and adjusted everything. He listened for a while then excused himself and ran home to listen to his own system that he had invested about $10K in over the last few years.
    His system DID sound better, but not 20 times better like the costs would imply.
    So it caused a lot of talk around here and the conclusion was that 5 tone-matched speakers, and modest equipment setup correctly can give a great HT experience.
    The HTB? The Kenwood 503 system.
    If you can, try to audition these systems before you buy. Bring a favorite CD and listen to music you are familar with. Music will reveal things about speakers that a DVD movie will not.
    Another source of good information is: www.cheaphometheater.com
    And dont forget to look for bundled systems even at stores. Good Guys have a Dennon receiver bundled with Energy Take 5 + 1 speakers for $1000. If you bought the TV there, they may even discount more or throw-in a DVD player.
    On the DVD player issue: consider an XBox. They are shipping with the DVD playback accessory and for $200 you are getting a good DVD player.
    Dont forget: budget about 10% for the cables, and $35 for a Radio Shack SPL meter, and $40 for a copy of the AVIA setup DVD.

4. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

At the Sears here in Manhattan, there is a Denon HTiB for $1000. I haven't listened to it but it might be worth a look.
    Has a progressive scan DVD player, reciever, 5 speakers and a sub.

Casey Stoddard

5. Mike Zawacki

Mike Zawacki Auditioning

thanks for the info guys. much appreciated.

I actually have a ps2 thats doubling as a dvd player for now, so the xbox idea is well taken, but I think I'll end up with a dedicated dvd player.

I'll just keep searching, and definitely audition as many systems as possible at the local best buy/circuit city, etc.

Any specific models you can recommend? I did find that Onkyo 755 on a search at cnet.com, it looks like one of my best options right now.

thanks
    mike