What's new

Brand new buzzing noise (1 Viewer)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

All at once today, I have developed a buzzing noise coming through the three front speakers. Here is what I have. I have a Harman Kardon AVR65. I've owned it from about 4 years. It's been hooked up in the current setup for 1.5 years. No new add-ons...nothing new plugged in around it. I don't have cable TV. I unplugged all inputs..still buzzing. I activated different inputs on the receiver (Video 1, Video 2, Video 3, DVD, etc.)...still buzzing. It's constant. I adjust the volume of the receiver and still the same buzz...no louder or quieter.

Any suggestions?
Rick

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
a buzz is a square wave, maybe a fan or an AC or a new dimmer for a light some where in the house?

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
New piece of info. The buzz doesn't begin as soon as the receiver is turned on. The receiver "clicks" on as usual, you hear your sound source, and then a few seconds later, the buzz begins...almost like the receiver has to warm up before it produces the buzz.

Nothing new on the light, dimmer, AC switch. Everything is how it has been for the past 18 months.

Thanks
Rick

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
If you live in an apartment, the unit that shares a common cicuit could possibly have added a dimmer or fan on their side. Other than that, you may have a bad connection somewhere in the output of the amp or a cap going south maybe? Keep us informed.

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. I don't live in an apartment so it rules that out.

I came home tonight to try and reproduce the problem. I turned on the receiver only (I have TiVo which is always on). Initially no buzzing sound. After about a minute of the receiever being on, the buzzing began. I turned off the receiver and turned it back on. No buzzing at all. Weird! I'm going right now to try and reproduce the problem. I'll keep you posted on any updates.

Thanks again
Rick

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
you might have to take the receiver in for a check up (scope the power supply, check for leaky caps?)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks...that is what I was beginning to conclude. Here is the funny part. We watched TV for about an hour last night...never did start to buzz. Go figure.

The trick is now finding someone I can trust to work on it.

Thanks again for the help
Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks