brand names

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Glenn Knight, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Glenn Knight

Glenn Knight Auditioning

i'm new to this forum and am new to the home theater experience. i have just recently decided to put a home theater package in my home and would like advice on some equipment. everything i've researched has basically boiled down to a few basic principles: 1) choose a flat crt television 2) look for s-video or component inputs 3)
    choose a progressive -scan dvd player 4) wattage doesn't mean all that much but choose a set of speakers that can handle at least 100 watts. there are more makes and models of surround sound systems than automobiles and heaven knows which ones are better than others. i have tried to read up on consumer reports on the different brands, but these are merely OPINIONS based on individual performance and track record. there's probably a good (or bad) performer in all makes, and the old saying that "you get what you pay for" doesn't necessarily hold true these days, although one may be wise to stay away from the "X" brands. i understand that 90% of all the electronics and components are made in china.
    anyway, i have been seriously looking at a sanyo 30" widescreen HDTV w/integrated ATSC tuner and NTSC tuner (picture and picture). my living room is about 15X28 feet. i have also been looking at a samsung ht-db120 dvd home theater system (200) watts. the tv and theater system seem to meet all of the basic principles to look for, but do you think they are worthy components for a beginner? please be honest with your assessment. my budget isn't all that big but I want something adequate too. thanks for any suggestions and opinions.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Glenn, that is a pretty small screen for such a big room. What is your seating distance from TV?

3. Glenn Knight

Glenn Knight Auditioning

about 10 feet

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Glenn,

Ten feet is an acceptable distance for a screen that size.

I found the Samsung at Amzon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...95007?v=glance

The reviews don’t look so good. Aside from that, 40 watts per channel may not be enough for a room as big as yours if you intend to listen at movie theater levels.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Glenn, go to the appropriate hardware-related sections to ask for specific brand-name purchasing advice. For entire systems, you may post in A/V Sources. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level only.

6. Glenn Knight

Glenn Knight Auditioning

thanks everyone for good advice. i'm staying open-minded and still looking around.