What's new

Branch, Lavigne, Carlton..the anti Brittney's (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Not all music needs to be high art. Our society thrives on prefab. Just think of it as the McDonalds of music - consumed by millions, but with no lasting value.

I do resent Sarah McLachlan, Blondie and Heart being lumped in with this group though, as each has made significant contributions to the world of music, and weren't built to sell.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne and Vanessa Carlton all write their own songs and play their own instruments. That alone is enough for me to consider them real artists. What I consider fake is when they don't write their own songs and even worst mime on stage.

As far as I know, Avril, Michelle, Vanessa and even Alicia (Keys) never mimed.

That's my 2 criterias for liking someone's music:

1. She/They have to be girl(s).
2. She/They have to write her/their own songs.

Playing instruments is a plus, but not a necessity providing she writes her own songs.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
my take is, how many years will it be before britney or christina are doing playboy in order to make a few bucks?
Well, neither of them will ever have to worry about money for the rest of their lives (if they don't squander away the millions they are making).

Britney will fade, Christina has a good chance of staying around. She's a naturally gifted singer and the stuff they play on the radio doesn't even come close to revealing her talent. Her Christmas album was a much better showcase of her voice handling more traditional material which, although it may not be your taste in musical style, she excels at.

-Mike...

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Mike - Did you see the new Christina Aguilera video? It's like she's trying to one-up Britney. They keep getting sluttier and skankier. Pretty soon they'll be doing double anal in their videos.
I'd also like to list 'American Idol' as an offender. If this program isn't the biggest example of everything that is wrong with popular music, I don't know what is.
What do I care anyways, I hate pop music and pop culture.
Give me Emperor, Opeth, Bloodbath, Grave... or give me nothing at all.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I do resent Sarah McLachlan, Blondie and Heart being lumped in with this group though, as each has made significant contributions to the world of music, and weren't built to sell.
Jeff, please re-read my post - that's exactly what I was saying.

It was a list of the true anit-britneys over the years - the ones with talent who did it on there own.

Sarah, Blondie and Heart just happened to get noticed out of that group I listed and got some airplay over the years.

I put Pat Benatat in there too because, even though Chrysalis tried to take advantange of the sex-appeal, she and her band (and they did work as a band) still did their own thing.

Joel

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Mike - Did you see the new Christina Aguilera video? It's like she's trying to one-up Britney.
"She's" not trying to one-up Britney, her management team is. It really reminded me more of Madonna than Britney, anyway.

Lemme see, Madonna was one of those artists that was initially sold on her shocking sex appeal and she's STILL making music.

-Mike...

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
i do resent the corporate machine that pushes this crap upon people, and naive people who don't know any better, either because they're too young and have no knowledge of music history, or just accept whatever it is that's marketed to them, and think that this stuff actually constitutes good music.
Man, people have been saying this for generations and generations. My grandfather said this to my dad when he brought home a Little Richard record. My dad said it to me when I brought home Queen's News of the World. And I'm sure I'm going to say it to my son when he gets into music a couple of years from now. He's already showing interest in stuff I don't like.

One day soon I'm going to burst into his room, pushed to the edge by blaring music I don't like. I'm going to tell him to turn it down. He's going to tell me it's good music. And then, when I least expect it, without any intention whatsoever of saying it, I'm going to say:

You call that music!?!?

...That's when I'll know I've become my father.

This is just a generational thing, we're not suppossed to like the music our kids like. We're suppossed to think it's crap.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I find it odd that so many people are surprised... I don't listen to any male artists.
I was the exact opposite for the first 10 years I was into music. It was all Yes, Metallica, Rush, Beatles, Boston, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, etc, etc, etc.

Then one day when I was working at a record store I got a demo copy of "Fumbling Towards Ecstacy"... Since then 50%-75% of what I listen to is female artists and my collection is pretty balanced.

-Mike...

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I know, but I just prefer girl voices!

I also heard someone saying that it's a good thing since I don't listen to songs that have women-bashing lyrics like many hip hop acts do... But they've never heard of Alisha's Attic hehe!

"All the boys say Angel Eyes, but they don't know the devil inside, the smile is sweet but it's a big lie. The F**kin' bitch is making you blind, if it weren't coloured it wouldn't be a butterfly!"

Considering all my bad experiences with girls, girl-bashing lyrics can't be better than when sung BY girls!!!

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, a lot of history is being selectively recalled here.

Is no one here familiar with the pre-singer/songwriter era? Tin Pan Alley? One hit wonders of the 50s and 60s? How many songs did Frank Sinatra write exactly?

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I don't think there's necessarily a greater proportion of garbage to sort through. Most of the 80's was awful, IMO. 70's radio was rife with Disco and they certainly had just as many "one hit wonders". The 60's had all your brit-rock or surf wannabe bands that nobody remembers anymore. The 40's - 50's were just as "commercial" and "corporate". The broadcast companies practically owned the artists! Very few of the big artists wrote their own material. Sound familiar?
The good music from those eras is still with us and it's all that's left of the musical landscape of those days. We look back with rose-tinted glasses and see the stuff that stood the test of time. 20 years from now, people will be griping about popular music and pining for the 90's - 00's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks