What's new

Bram Stoker's Dracula Enhanced Edition - Blu-Ray release Fall 07 (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Let´s hope so. I always feel that this is the best way to release a new "dir.cut/extended/etc". Keep the original version also. Can´t wait for this film. I don´t even have the DVD.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

For this truly to be a different cut, wouldn't they say something on the cover, like on Coppola's other longer cuts, like The Outsiders: The complete novel or Apocalypse Now redux...?

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

Maybe if it includes both the theatrical cut and a new cut, 'Collector's Edition' was deemed more appropriate than a titling that suggested that the package would only contain an altered version? (The latest release of 'Apocalypse Now Redux' is in a package called 'The Complete Dossier,' for example, which is also a "Special Collector's Edition" according to the sticker on the package.)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member

It just feels like it.
Don't think I ever bought five Blu Rays in one day, but 10/2 will change that!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
That's interesting, because I just asked Friday on AVS and Paidgeek confirmed that there is NO director's cut.

The theatrical cut is the only approved version and that's what's being released. I'd link, but people get huffy when I don't link to exact posts and I don't know how to do that. But it's the Insider's thread at AVS.

Sorry folks, no DC.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Well that contradicts what I read from Paidgeek on the insiders thread on the Blu-ray forum (post #1545 if you want to look at it) which seems to be the place he hangs out more now. Your info is more recent so I guess that's where we stand. Very Disappointing.

BTW - I'd stopped reading the insiders thread on AVS a while ago since he basically stopped posting that much and 99% of the AVS thread is just a Microsoft infomercial.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

This seems to be true, but I sometimes see what e.g. Paidgeek has to say (usually skip the others, since I have no time to read them all).

He said:

"There is no director's cut. We are releasing the only approved version.."

and (Laserdisc vs HD-version)

"I don't have all the information to compare the two directly, but the BD version is fully loaded."

Could it be, that he basically misunderstood the first question? I mean I thought that the upcoming (?) version is called "New Enhanced Edition", which could mean that some effects are polished etc. It might not be called "Dir cut" at all.. Or am I wrong?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

It might be wishful thinking but I guess to clarify the issue, the question to him should be.......will this be the theatrical cut or an extended cut. Maybe somebody who posts on either forum could ask that. I only lurk on AVS and the Blu-Ray forum. He does seem to be much more responsive on the Blu-Ray.com forum.

My guess from his latest comments are that we'll just get deleted scenes and no new cut.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Very exciting, Winona Ryder in HD...oh yes! I'll be picking this one up on release day.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
There is no director's cut. There never has been. The BD is the theatrical cut.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, this was my question. Is this "dir cut" more like a rumor? This "Enhanced Edition" probably means that some minor things are polished and tweaked in image/effects wise..?

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
No, "Enhanced Edition" just refers to special features, the overall special edition package, not to the film itself. That was just something on the Zoetrope website. The film is exactly the same as it was in 1992. The "director's cut" was just someone misinterpreting and assuming.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, if we misinterpreted, we had good reason to.

and paidgeek contradicted himself...

Paidgeek indeed said on BluRay.com that it would be the longer version and...

This is an excerpt from actually a several year old chat with a zoetrope person...

"Can you tell us a little about what plans Zoetrope has for DVD? Some of the titles you are working on???
Kim Aubry: We are excited about the format...for us, this is a kind of departure. Our identity is really tied up in our film post production..we have recording studios and editing suites in San Francisco But now that we have build a DVD lab in our SF headquarters, we are applying our know how and our style to this opposite end of the business.We are in discussions with Criterion, Sony-Columbia, Paramount and a local SF label called Fantoma. Although nothing is inked yet, I believe our next DVD projects will include (for Paramount) The Conversation, Tucker, the Man and His Dream, as well as a new version of Bram Stoker's Dracula for Columbia..."

He said it, "a new version of Bram Stoker's Dracula..."

Considering Coppolla and Zoetrope had done new versions of Apocalypse and The Outsiders, didn't seem like that much of a stretch...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It could very well be that Coppola attempted a new/enhanced/extended version of the film and felt that it wasn't working, and therefore stuck to the theatrical cut.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, there is a video introduction and commentary for this release. Coppola is usually pretty frank on his commentaries, so perhaps he'll even address the idea therein.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I would love to have seen one of the 38 or so earlier cuts that were made.
Supposedly there is a VHS boot of a workprint in so so quality that surfaces on Ebay from time to time...

Hey, I love the film as it is and am very happy anyway. Just curious as to the mixed signals...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks